Connecticut DOT new car order for Alstom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to play Devils Advocate for a second here.
The Amfleet family of coaches that serve corridors in the US are a family that started with the Budd Metroliner EMU that was a forerunner of the Acela. Amtrak inherited the Metroliner service and trains but the electric system proved flawed. The coach bodies were sold and it was the newest Amtrak had (it was the 70s) so they did two fold. Amtrak stripped out the drives of the Metroliners and used them as Cab coaches. They then ordered hundreds of them configured as passenger coaches minus the operator cabs and drives creating the Amfleet family. Both amfleet and Metroliners serve corridor services today.

Okay that done.
There is something amiss with the reporting. The Article from Pedestrian observations states it’s based on the Alstom X'Trapolis EMU. Okay Google-fu gives me a Fairly popular EMU regional trains in Australia and Europe.

Railway age however states it’s based off the Alstom's “Adessia” EMU family? I ended up falling into a rabbit hole.
Okay Google… the same Article and a Trademark filing by Alstom in April.
https://trademarksoncall.com/trademark/adessia/79375430This is perhaps the most insightful
https://euro.dayfr.com/business/amp/648612
The Connecticut cars will be manufactured in Bangalore, India, with assistance from Alstom’s North American headquarters in Saint-Bruno, Canada, Alstom told AFP. These Adessia-type cars are already in use in Perth, Australia, and were also chosen for the ” Mayan train in southern Mexico.
Adessia type cars on the Mayan train and Perth Australia… those use X'Trapolis train sets.
https://www.alstom.com/mayan-train-projecthttps://www.alstom.com/press-releas...ture-and-maintain-ptas-c-series-trains-perths
So Riddle me this Batman; why would Alstom trademark Adessia if it’s X'Trapolis? Surely if it was a CT rail custom job they wouldn’t call it “Adessia platform”?
So Conspiracy theorists moment… They are either about to offer a new MU family based on the X Trapplis family but built to US standards named the Adessia or this is meant to be offered far more widely than just CTrail.

Alstom has been doing this a bit, having two names for one thing. Typically it because one started out as a Bombardier product & had a Bombardier name, and now under Alstom gets an Alstom name... but is still often referred to by it's Bombardier name. Now I don't know if this is the case in the Adessia/X'Trapolis product; but it would make a but some sense.

The X'Trapolis has been around for a while, since the late 1990s when it was first introduced by Alstom for the SNCF. The SNCF uses a variation called the X'Trapolis Duplex for it's RER lines, lines A and E to be specific. In addition to the SNCF, Melbourne in Australia has several variants of the X'Trapolis built from 2002 to just a few years ago, with a second variation called X'Trapolis 2.0 to enter service next year to phase out multiple unit trains from the 1980s.

X'Trapolis is not that difficult to pronounce, probably cause I can understand French Creole, but not difficult. Now if you guys want a difficult train name, Stadler KISS, the KISS in the name stands for "Komfortabler Innovativer Spurtstarker S-Bahn-Zug". Try saying that several times over.

Last edited:
This is perhaps the most insightful
https://euro.dayfr.com/business/amp/648612
The Connecticut cars will be manufactured in Bangalore, India, with assistance from Alstom’s North American headquarters in Saint-Bruno, Canada, Alstom told AFP. These Adessia-type cars are already in use in Perth, Australia, and were also chosen for the ” Mayan train in southern Mexico.
Bangalore is the HQ Office of Alstom India. I don't believe there is any significant manufacturing plant there. So far the railcars manufactured by Alstom for a couple of Metro systems were done in Coimbatore (Tamilnadu), Maneja (Gujrat) and Kolkata, Titagarh (West Bengal) AFAIR. So it will probably be assigned to one of these plants. Of course it is also possible that they want to set up a new manufacturing line somewhere in Bangalore too.

Of course in addition to this there is the huge electric loco manufacturing facility at Medhapur which specializes in 12,000HP, dual articulated Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo electric freight locomotives. And the Alstom supplied LHB passenger car platform has been licensed (including locally developed derivatives) whole hog by Indian Railways, and it manufactures these 200kph capable cars at four different plants with total annual production of upto some 8,000 cars, including the articulated Vande Bharat Express EMU sets. I do not think the Connecticut order will go to any of those plants, which are all huge and buried in local orders and export orders from Asian countries.

Last edited:
I was simply quoting what was stated in the new source. The accuracy of that statement is on them. I was more interested in what the nature of the Adessia rail cars is.

I was simply quoting what was stated in the new source. The accuracy of that statement is on them. I was more interested in what the nature of the Adessia rail cars is.
I was not critiquing you. I was merely adding some speculation about where they might actually be manufactured.

There is a possible clue, it says 125 mph capable. Since there is no cat on these cars, and 3rd rail can't do 125 it seems it would have to be loco hauled.
Are there any current plans to electrify New Haven-Springfield line? If so, then using loco in push-pull mode would seem to work.

Are there any current plans to electrify New Haven-Springfield line? If so, then using loco in push-pull mode would seem to work.
I don't think there is any point in electrifying until the Hartford station and viaduct situation is resolved, which is dependent on the I-84 reconstruction which in turn is a few years away at best. There are also double tracking projects although they are likely to be completed well before Hartford gets sorted.

The Euroduel do atleast the ones that Turkey just bought back in 2019. Stadler to supply bi-mode locomotives to Turkish rail freight operator
The Airo sets will operate as both diesel and cat. As they are intended to operate on the NEC as well as off of it. Including in my NECk of the woods on the Flyer and Vermonter which operates on non electric before transitioning to the electric NEC at State st. New Haven going to Penn and DC.

Hartford is the bottleneck.

The Euroduel do atleast the ones that Turkey just bought back in 2019. Stadler to supply bi-mode locomotives to Turkish rail freight operator
Connecticut DOT is not acquiring Euroduals so this is totally irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

As for dual mode usage in the US, dual mode catenary-diesel ALP45DPs from Bombardier has operated for a decade or more now, operated by NJTransit

The Airo sets will operate as both diesel and cat. As they are intended to operate on the NEC as well as off of it. Including in my NECk of the woods on the Flyer and Vermonter which operates on non electric before transitioning to the electric NEC at State st. New Haven going to Penn and DC.

Hartford is the bottleneck.
But the Airos have nothing to do with the cars that Conn DOT has ordered, which is the subject of this thread. 🙄 The dual modes that ConnDOT has ordered will not be using catenary since using catenary does no help in getting a train to Grand Central Terminal which is where Conn DOT's train go via MNRR. They have no plans to get catenary dual mode since they have no use for them.

The Connecticut cars will be build in Sahagun Mexico by Alstom as reported by NEGC report for August. https://ngec.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/305-activities-report-monthly-8-31-23.pdf

Should CT worry ? with this weeks Avelia Liberty report and yesterdays financial report , it might be Alstom is not doing ok .
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/.../french-train.../3117744/ and what ails the Avelia https://amtrakoig.gov/.../OIG-A-2023-013%20%28REDACTED%29...
That's interesting. I take it they're not using federal money?

Back