Connecting with forum members while aboard?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a mechanism to see if other community members might be aboard a train one is riding? I'm guessing not, but it would be neat if there were.

Interesting idea... though wonder how one might handle avoiding/not announcing to those 0.02% of the forum that I'd rather not meet [the other 99.98% it would be a pure delight]?? Maybe run it off one's friends list??

There is. There are length of registration and/or post requirements to ensure that it's open to active community members only.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum running on the clearly superior iOS 7

Dont we have a section of the forum for that kind of stuff? :Let others know what train you are on? And if others want to meet they can respond?

Dont we have a section of the forum for that kind of stuff? :Let others know what train you are on? And if others want to meet they can respond?
Yes, but as mentioned above there are certain requirements a new member must meet before they are "allowed" to see that area of the forum. The OP isn't there, yet.

Is there a mechanism to see if other community members might be aboard a train one is riding? I'm guessing not, but it would be neat if there were.
Get out of your room or seat.

Talk to strangers on a train.

You'll be able to suss them out.

Or you may end up in a Hitchcock plot.

Either way you'll have something to talk about.

As mentioned there is also a subforum here where folks can discuss upcoming trips and broadcast their willingness to meet other members if they so choose, but it only shows up after you've been active in the community for a while.

Interesting idea... though wonder how one might handle avoiding/not announcing to those 0.02% of the forum that I'd rather not meet [the other 99.98% it would be a pure delight]?? Maybe run it off one's friends list??
It that situation you'd probably need to use PM's instead of posting in the upcoming travel subforum. Just use common sense, such as avoiding use of your real name or your real face when posting on the forum, and you should be fine. When you meet someone who seems to know a bit too much about Amtrak policy and procedures then you're probably talking to a fellow member.

That's how we can recognize guests.

To find the fellow members just look for the people arguing about the very concept of Hamsters on a Train.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated longer term members can post their trip in the members trips area but those who feel that communication is not secure enough (or can't use it yet) can always post here as an anonymous guest and announce their train number . Any member who wants to meet up may choose to do so and those that do not just ignore the posting.

Ryan S commented about the lengths to go through to become a member. I tried to do this the other day and I don't think I came close to getting there. Could someone walk me through enough steps to get me started

Thanks Bill

Ryan S commented about the lengths to go through to become a member. I tried to do this the other day and I don't think I came close to getting there. Could someone walk me through enough steps to get me started

Thanks Bill
As MrFSS stated above, the title "Members" is applied after minimum forum participation requirements are met. In order to meet those requirements, you must be logged-in as a member. Guest posts by members (like this one) do not count toward member group thresholds.

Get out of your room or seat.

Talk to strangers on a train.

You'll be able to suss them out.

Oh, I do get out of my seat! I've had some delightful conversations. It's just that none of them involved hamsters.

Or you may end up in a Hitchcock plot.
Either way you'll have something to talk about.

Oh, so very true. Actually there was a bit of excitement yesterday on the east-bound EB (the EB EB?) but I'm typing this laboriously on a cell phone so details will have to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Bill
As MrFSS stated above, the title "Members" is applied after minimum forum participation requirements are met. In order to meet those requirements, you must be logged-in as a member. Guest posts by members (like this one) do not count toward member group thresholds.
It sounds like he's having trouble registering.
It's pretty straightforward, click on the green "create account" button in the top right. Supply your birthday, then fill out the form with a username, email and desired password. Check the box to accept the terms and off you go.

Tie your ticket stub with a blue ribbon, and stick in your left back pants pocket. Don't put it in your right back pocket; that means something totally different.

Yes, but as mentioned above there are certain requirements a new member must meet before they are "allowed" to see that area of the forum. The OP isn't there, yet.
I think I may be in the same boat as OP -- I'm a member but I am not sure if I've posted yet. Lots of good info here, hope to make my first LD trip sometime in the next year or so. So far it's just been the Hiawatha between Milwaukee and Chicago for me.

I have to agree with DA's post above.....I've usually been able to identify fellow railfans fairly easily on board long train trips....some are obvious (read foamer, festooned with RR logo clothing, squawking scanners, et. al.), others more subtle and reserved. Some may or may not be members of this forum, but interesting to share knowledge, nontheless...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back