Connection time question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my first trip on amtrak and i had a question hopefully someone can answer. I am trying to book a trip from San Diego to NY Penn Station. The system is giving me a train from SAN to LAX arriving at LAX at 5:40pm and the connecting train is leaving at 6:15pm. Is the 35 minutes enough time to make that connection?

That's the only train that comes up when i put in SAN to NYP. But if i look up SAN to LAX they have a whole bunch of trains that get in earlier. Should i book an earlier train from SAN to LAX and then book the trip from LAX to NYP separate? And if i should how early should i get to LAX to make the 6:15pm train. I'll have checked baggage also if that makes a difference.

Thank to anyone who can help me.

Try calling 1-800-USA-RAIL to request a longer connection if you prefer more time.

If that's what the website gives you, Amtrak thinks that it'll be enough. If it's not, they'll be responsible for making sure you get where you need to go.

That said, I think that those trains are unreserved, so you may be able to get on an earlier one if you want more time.

This will be my first trip on amtrak and i had a question hopefully someone can answer. I am trying to book a trip from San Diego to NY Penn Station. The system is giving me a train from SAN to LAX arriving at LAX at 5:40pm and the connecting train is leaving at 6:15pm. Is the 35 minutes enough time to make that connection?
Without luggage, yes. The SAN-LAX trains are usually on time, and rarely more than 15 minutes late.
However, you have checked luggage, and frankly I'm not entirely sure I'd trust the luggage transfer. It *should* work, but... well, I've never tried it. Perhaps someone else here has tried it and will tell you you have nothing to worry about. (Worst case, your luggage arrives at NYP a day late.)

That's the only train that comes up when i put in SAN to NYP. But if i look up SAN to LAX they have a whole bunch of trains that get in earlier. Should i book an earlier train from SAN to LAX and then book the trip from LAX to NYP separate?
Probably. But then, with two separate reservations, do make sure your luggage gets checked all the way through to NYP.

And if i should how early should i get to LAX to make the 6:15pm train. I'll have checked baggage also if that makes a difference.

Thank to anyone who can help me.
The next earlier train arrives in LAX at 4:25 PM and should be *just fine*. If I were you, I might go up to LAX earlier in the day and wander around LA during the day. There are lots of trains from San Diego to Los Angeles every day. (Only one per day from LA to Chicago and only one per day from Chicago to NY.)

Also, if the train from San Diego is running late, you can get off at Fullerton to board the SWC! The Surfliner arrives in FUL before it goes to LAX and the SWC gets to FUL after it departs LAX. By connecting in FUL, you add about an hour of connection time.

Taking an earlier Surfliner is probably the best idea. If you are in coach, you don't need to change your ticket. Just board the earlier train. If you are in business class, you may need to call and rearrange on the phone. I do NOT suggest transferring at Fullerton without changing your reservation. With e-ticketing, there is the slightest possibility that you could be marked a no show if you don't board in LAX. That could ruin the rest of your trip.

Delays greater than 30 minutes are rare, and when they do occur usually less than 60 minutes (meaning Amtrak will very likely hold the train for connecting passengers).

I would take the offered train without worry.

583_LAX_2013.png

I have done that run before and as VentureForth posted, just take an earlier Surfliner to LAX to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back