Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris J.

Lead Service Attendant
Hiya

Is the connection from the Southwest Chief to the Coast Starlight pretty reliable? amtraydelays seems to think the arrival of The Chief into LAX is pretty much good. I'd be travelling to Oakland on the CS, so I guess I'd get bussed to Bakersfield and sent up the valley route (thereby missing the reason for travelling on the CS - the coast run).

Also; I can book a trip from Yosemite National Park (YOS) to Seattle (SEA); leaving the park at 5.55pm, connect to San Joaquin train 703 at Merced (about an hour layover) and then again at Sacreamento (SAC). This last connection is only 30 mins. I had a look on amtrakdelays.com and found that in the past 4 months where there is data, the connection would be missed once (703 was 60 late into SAC). Other than that, it's been on time or only a few late.

Does anyone know what Amtrak would do if 703 was late? Would people say it was a safe enough bet to book through in this way?

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya
Is the connection from the Southwest Chief to the Coast Starlight pretty reliable? amtraydelays seems to think the arrival of The Chief into LAX is pretty much good. I'd be travelling to Oakland on the CS, so I guess I'd get bussed to Bakersfield and sent up the valley route (thereby missing the reason for travelling on the CS - the coast run).

Also; I can book a trip from Yosemite National Park (YOS) to Seattle (SEA); leaving the park at 5.55pm, connect to San Joaquin train 703 at Merced (about an hour layover) and then again at Sacreamento (SAC). This last connection is only 30 mins. I had a look on amtrakdelays.com and found that in the past 4 months where there is data, the connection would be missed once (703 was 60 late into SAC). Other than that, it's been on time or only a few late.

Does anyone know what Amtrak would do if 703 was late? Would people say it was a safe enough bet to book through in this way?

Thanks all
Shouldnt be any problem on the SWC connection in LAX! If Amtrak books the trip to/from Yosemite, and gurantees the connection ( they can tell you,call an agent through Julie), if for some reason the connection is missed in SAC they will either have to provide alternate transportation (Ambus or taxi to catch the train), put you up for the night with all expenses and rebook you on the next days train theyll have details! (the only problem with the CS is if you have slleeper rez, you may not get a sleeper the next day!) Check it out, its a great trip! You may even want to spend a night in SAC and see the Cal RR museum!

The SWC->CS connection in LAX is very reliable! Most times, the SWC does not arrive on time - it arrives EARLY! And even if it's very late, since this is a guaranteed connection, I have seen them bus passengers between the 2 trains - such as between Barstow and Santa Barbara.

As far as the other trip, if you just put in "From" and "To" using the "regular" screen (not using the multi city option), whatever comes up is a guaranteed connection. I have been on train 703 connecting to the CS. We were delayed by a freight in Lodi. They SPECIFICALLY announced over the PA that "... since this is the last SJ of the night, the CS is being held in SAC for us!" We arrived in SAC - and it was! :cool: (We arrived 30-45 minutes late, and left SAC about 30 minutes late!)

Enjoy the trips - and as they say "Don't Worry!"

That matches my experience riding the San Joaquin line twice weekly for the past two years. On time performance improved with the recession, because there is less freight traffic. Someone said that some freight traffic has been routed off the SJ/CC line altogether, but I can't confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back