CONO-pre-trip wine and cheese?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Since the CoNo leaves at 8 pm, I assume the diner won't be doing dinner-no problem, we plan on being stuffed with some ChiTown deep dish anyway-but was curious if they do any type of "welcome aboard" type thing like Ive heard about on some trains-like a wine and cheese tasting-anything like that on the CONO departing Chicago?

LSL from CHI to NYP/BOS does that - not sure about any others that do it on departure.

EB does it mid-trip. (In both cases, for sleeper passengers only).

Since the CoNo leaves at 8 pm, I assume the diner won't be doing dinner-no problem, we plan on being stuffed with some ChiTown deep dish anyway-but was curious if they do any type of "welcome aboard" type thing like Ive heard about on some trains-like a wine and cheese tasting-anything like that on the CONO departing Chicago?
On the CONO if you are in a sleeper, you will board early and be eating dinner before the train leaves the station. No wine and cheese.

Ok thanks-We're going to skip the Diner dinner, looking to score some deep dish pizza during our layover-Guess I'll just have to bring our own wine!
But if you are in a Sleeper, then your dinner is included and you might as well eat it!
Why? If you're going to be full (of good food), there's no point in eating something just because it's free.

Then again, maybe that's why 125% of Americans are obese.

Ok thanks-We're going to skip the Diner dinner, looking to score some deep dish pizza during our layover-Guess I'll just have to bring our own wine!
But if you are in a Sleeper, then your dinner is included and you might as well eat it!
Why? If you're going to be full (of good food), there's no point in eating something just because it's free.

You better not mean that I'm obese, because I'm not, I'm just thrifty.

Nah! It is because NY has good pizza. Chicagoans think that deep dish stuff is good. Better to eat in the diner. :giggle:

:lol:

We're in sleeper, and will probably have lunch on the inbound TE. Plan on taking a blitzkrieg tour around Chicago, maybe go up to the top of the Sears Tower (or whatever they call it now) and get a good dinner prior to boarding. I know dinner is included, but......well, I'd rather pay for a good pizza, or maybe a steak at Gene and Georgetti's or the Chicago Firehouse. Choices-choices!

Nah! It is because NY has good pizza. Chicagoans think that deep dish stuff is good. Better to eat in the diner. :giggle:

Hey, hey here! Looks like this could turn into one of those good old NY vs CHI pizza arguments.

Hey, hey here! Looks like this could turn into one of those good old NY vs CHI pizza arguments.
And no one wins. It's like arguing which is better, a Pilsner, Porter, or Ale. Just like the Pizza, it all depends on the location and mood, but either way, you just can't go wrong! I think we'll probably go for a good Chicago Steakhouse though, at least if I get my way-Wife may want pizza though, so, whatever works. Besides, everyone knows the best pizza comes from a wood fire stove in Napoli or Catania!

Edit to add-And, we're still almost 2 months out from our trip.....kindof a moot point right now! Just goes to show, I REALLY need this vacation!

Last edited by a moderator:
No its not free, you already paid for it in your ticket :)

Maybe you could try having Chicago pizza for dinner before boarding and when the dinner is called out for sleeper passengers, head to the Diner anyway and have some dessert (and enjoy conversations with other passengers). Win-win situation.

Go for the steak.

The non-Amtrak steak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way things have been going with dinner out of Chicago on the southbound CONO lately, you will be hungry again by the time they call for dinner in the sleepers. Last time I was on #59, we were called to dinner at about 9:15pm, just over an hour after departure from Chicago. When I take the CONO out of Chicago, I usually eat a lite dinner at Giordano's around 5:00pm to hold me over until the late dinner on the CONO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back