Corridor clippers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one of those on the rear of my train (train 95) back in October (the 9th I believe).

I saw it running with its pantograph up when we were crawling throug CP216 at New Rochelle. They cut it off at Washington D.C.

Its a dead pantograph, its not hooked up to anything. it just sits on its insulators and a video camera is aimed at it.

They check Catenary allignment and bounce with it.

The car's origin? I can't find the ### at present, but it was made from the first Amfleet car to get destroyed in a collision. A cement truck hit it while it was the last coach on a local Seattle train. It tore off the last several feet of the car, killing one passenger in the process. 1974 or 1975, if I recall correctly, and sat in beech Grove for a long, long time. The damage made the car ideal for conversion to a theater car. It is only slightly shorter than an Amfleet I coach.

It gets its power from HEP; the pantograph, as explained earlier, is there for computer analysis of cantenary in the NEC. Also mounted on the roof are cameras and floodlights for visual inspection of cantenary, day and night. It does NOT have oush/pull equipment, as the large windows wouldn't make it suitable for leading a train, even if control equipment WERE installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back