Corridor clippers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Kid

Service Attendant
On a trip to strassburg Pa i was on a tourist train that used an old steam engine and a few refurbished pullman cars. The train went to a small town called paradise located off of the ex PRR's electrified route. When the train was reversing an amtrak train went by at the end was an amfleet car with 2 cab windows on the back I later found out that that the car was called a corridor clipper. what is this used for and is it rare

Since this has nothing to do with Model Railroading, I'm moving it to the Amtrak forum.

In the future, please try to pick the correct forum for your post. :)

There are several Amfleet cars dedicated to company functions. "Corridor Clipper" is the car name for but one of several such cars. The three cars I recall from memory are:

#10001 - private business car, lately used often by Mr Gunn to tour the Amtrak network

#10002 - one of the techies cars (track geometry, I think)

#10003 - the other techies car (catenary geometry I believe)

I do not remember whether "Corridor Clipper" is #10002 or 10003...

To my knowledge only one car is called the Corridor Clipper and that's 10002, the track inspection car. Car #10001 is the Business car that David Gunn uses with the open platform on the end and it's called Beach Grove.

10003 is the Acela Express Track Inspection/Geometry car and it doesn't have a name.

A list of all of the company cars can be found here on OTOL.

Was it one of these bad boys?

138-12.jpg

I wish, it looked more like an amfleet car with a pantograph on top. it didn't look powered. Go to google images and type in Corridor clipper it should be the third or fourth image.

So then back to what everyone originaly said, this is 10002 The Corridor Clipper, a track inspection car. This is what you saw?

AMT10002DC-NOV11-00DIGI16.jpg

That car made an appearance on the Pacific Surfliners last May during the Fullerton RR Days. I was quite shocked to see anything with a pantograph so far away from any electrified main line. It would be great to have a model of that car for any train because it does get around the network.

-Firebert

Really all you would have to do is cut two cab windows out buy a replacement pantograph from Bachmann or someting like that. and decale over the rear door not to forget buying tubular diagrams and cutting out the end door and replace it with a custom made one. I'm going to try that on my Amleet coach car! :D

Firebert said:
I was quite shocked to see anything with a pantograph so far away from any electrified main line.
If I recall correctly, that pantograph is for alignment and geometry only. It does not pull juice to power the car.

I'm not 100% but I'm going to say no. Some Google research found me evidence that she has rode on the tail of more then a couple trains, however her lights always said she was the end of the train. In instances where you would need a push pull, I always found her in the middle with a cab car behind her. The car is outfitted with all sorts of fun sensor packages to find track that needs repaired, welds that need redone, wires that need tightened, but to the best of my knowledge no control equipment. It started life as an old AmFleet I if I'm not mistaken.

Now the NJT used to have a self powered diesel track gemetry unit. Had being the operative term, it went poof in a little fire one day.

Yea, If you look closly it looks as if they Permenently closed the door and put the phase Iv stripes over the door. I saw somebody saying something about sunday and having Instant messages or something like that. I'm a new member so can sombody fill me in on that?

Amtrak Kid said:
I saw somebody saying something about sunday and having Instant messages or something like that. I'm a new member so can sombody fill me in on that?
Every Sunday night we have a live chat, where whatever you type is instantly seen be everyone else in the chat room. This allows for questions and answers along with discussions about anything related to trains.

It starts at 7:00 PM EST and runs for a few hours although you don’t need to be there the whole time, many people just drop in for an hour or so. One clicks here to be taken to the chat system. Then leave the room # alone, enter your nickname or handle and then start chatting. :) If you like you can also enter your real name, but it's not required.

You can read more about the chat in this topic.

Guest said:
I'm not 100% but I'm going to say no. Some Google research found me evidence that she has rode on the tail of more then a couple trains, however her lights always said she was the end of the train. In instances where you would need a push pull, I always found her in the middle with a cab car behind her. The car is outfitted with all sorts of fun sensor packages to find track that needs repaired, welds that need redone, wires that need tightened, but to the best of my knowledge no control equipment. It started life as an old AmFleet I if I'm not mistaken.
Now the NJT used to have a self powered diesel track gemetry unit. Had being the operative term, it went poof in a little fire one day.
IIRC the corridor clipper along with the beach grove are both ex-metroliners(the emu's). They probably dont run it as a cab car due to the risk of a grade collision off corridor. Amtrak probably dose not want there geometry car damaged.

Just a thought, the lights on the rear of the car could likely be used to light the track behind the car so night inspections can be done.

And for that matter, both are ex amfleet 1s, even though they only have 1 door.

Does anyone know their old #'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back