Coupon Code

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Everyone loves a bargain and if it is offered to some, why not all?"

And YOU teach?

There is a right and there is a wrong, surely as there is a left and a right, an up and a down. I don't want to beat the military drum to death, but believe me, you don't deserve by theft or otherwise that discount unless you paid the price. Why that one is only 10% mystifies me. Are you paying the price for a disability that makes your life more difficult? Are you in the group that Amtrak would think of as the future (students). Are you part of a convention that gets the discount because a large number of riders from the group could help grow business? Or, are you just a free-loader looking to ride in on someone else's shirttails? I think you fall in this last one. There are no free lunches. There is a reason for every discount. If you can't pay, don't play.

"I try to save at every opportunity "

With that logic, why don't you just outright try shoplifting?

I find it interesting that anonymous posters are being so critical. How about you login, get a name, and participate in the forum?

Or, are you just a free-loader looking to ride in on someone else's shirttails?
And unfortunetly, its the "bad apple" that ruins it for everyone else.

I'm a thrifty person, so I hunt for good deals. But I stay within the rules. Its not that hard since Amtrak has plenty of deals going on all the time, so I'll just plan my trips around those promotions.

For example-

POR-BON-POR for me, my wife, and 2 kids is normally $144.

Books 3 days in advance, and get sale price: $117

Kids ride free on sunday promotion: $78

Use up some AGR points: $39

AAA-discount (legit): $35

No rules broken, and the trip is even cheaper then driving. I just had to be flexible, and plan in advance, but its worth the 75% in savings.

Friends - this one is slowly going down hill. Lets all play nice and keep the discussion about Amtrak.

Thanks!!!

I find it interesting that anonymous posters are being so critical. How about you login, get a name, and participate in the forum?
Don't see that as a requirement for a legitimate opinion.
It's just hard to determine if its one person posting as multiple guests or multiple people. I like to keep that straight, that is all, to know who is participating and what they are saying. If you don't want a login, that is fine, but maybe make yourself guest 15 or something? Just a suggestion, no need to get snarky.

I, too, like to save money, and make use of coupon or promotional codes whenever I can. However, I would not sell my soul for one.

At least to me, there is a major difference between finding a general/generic discount code who's existence isn't being widely distributed, and finding a code that has specific requirements like belonging to a particular organization.

I would never make a false claim that I am a member of some organization, when I know in fact I am not a member. Now, if the offer is good enough, I might look into joining that organization (ie, join AQHA and get a $500 rebate from Ford).

I moderate a couple of other unrelated forums. We find that anonymous posters are sometimes legitimate members that have dual memberships, the 2nd being the "guest". Then they start an argument with themselves, get all kinds of attention with a hot thread, and no one is the wiser. Until we check their originating IP address. If they match, we boot them out. They're called trolls.

I moderate a couple of other unrelated forums. We find that anonymous posters are sometimes legitimate members that have dual memberships, the 2nd being the "guest". Then they start an argument with themselves, get all kinds of attention with a hot thread, and no one is the wiser. Until we check their originating IP address. If they match, we boot them out. They're called trolls.

Several other forums I belong to, but not as a moderator, don't allow guests to post. Our admins here allow guests and we try to keep an eye on things. Sometimes it does get out of hand.

Don't see that as a requirement for a legitimate opinion.
It's just hard to determine if its one person posting as multiple guests or multiple people. I like to keep that straight, that is all, to know who is participating and what they are saying. If you don't want a login, that is fine, but maybe make yourself guest 15 or something? Just a suggestion, no need to get snarky.
No need for YOURSELF to get snarky, either, sister. The moderators have control over what's posted and what's not and that's good enough for me. You need to make it good enough for yourself. When some have suggested throwing other pax from a moving train, it's not deleted. Suggesting that an illegal activity like fraudulent usage of codes is wrong should remain. If it has to be comparisoned out in detail to less acceptable forms of illegal activity for someone to understand it, so be it. The fraudulent use of codes causes problems for Amtrak. They have to spend more $ and time monitoring their usage. Perhaps conventions are allowed so many pax at a certain discount before having to pay full price. Fraudulent use of those codes makes it difficult for Amtrak to convince the organizers that Amtrak will give them a discount. Amtrak wanted that business but illegal usage takes away from the business purpose thought out by Amtrak.

Accept the fact. It's wrong. Don't do it. There are times when I am hoping that Amtrak is monitoring these forums carefully for illegal activity. This is one of those times. There's a reason that they have an OIG office and an ethics committee.

As for "guest" postings. IME, some of the best answers have come from the guests and putting a 15 or a 16 after the name still doesn't mean anything.

Several other forums I belong to, but not as a moderator, don't allow guests to post. Our admins here allow guests and we try to keep an eye on things. Sometimes it does get out of hand.
Ok, understood. Sometimes the trolls log on as 2 legitimate members and carry out their shenanigans.

Sorry about the drift off topic...

MrFSS,

You let "named" posters get out of line, too. Perhaps you're deleting a number of guest posts that we don't see, but sometimes the moderating is too loose/tight on regular posters. I've seen the deletion of Whooz's posts on Bush (by AlanB?) and even though I'm 180 from Whooz, I didn't think they should have been deleted. Whooz is less irritating (and definitely more entertaining) than Neil Boortz. On the other hand, a certain other named poster should be regularly regulated because of how those posts would appear to a 1st time reader who doesn't stick around after reading them and has come here seeking legitimate information.

As for guests. By the postings on these boards a lot of personal information is put out for the world to see. The moderators see my IP and can know my/your plans. Posting as "guest" is a security issue for me. When x poster talks about upcoming plans and has for some time talked about his hometown and his life and family that person is taking on a security risk. Although, I've never met him, I can probably tell you what reputatious apartment building a certain older poster lives in by the descriptions on here and it's not that far from my home. In reverse, that's TMI. Identify theft is a fast growing crime in this country.

Stick around and you'll find that the illegal usage of Amtrak codes generally brings out ire.

Permanent GUEST

Ethics is a slippery slope. Once you start sliding, it's very easy to keep going. Rationalization is a powerful and often destructive thing.

To me, there is a difference between trying to use a discount for which you are not entitled (by deception, Amtrak error (they didn't question your validity), or not being asked for proof) AND general Amtrak discount nuances. By nuances I mean how a fare rule works.

SO, if there is a coupon code advertised for travel between certain city pairs, BUT the agent / website allows it to be used for a non-published pair, that is fine in my book. The onus there is on Amtrak to not allow the booking of non-published pairs with that coupon code. The difference is you didn't break any rules by claiming a discount that was not indended for you. In this example, the discount was for anyone.

I can say that if Amtrak makes an error in my favor when I was not being deceptive, then that is fine too. But if it is an obvious large error, I usually question them to make sure, even if that means they correct the error. I like staying at the top of that slippery slope. When it is minor or inconsequential, I usually leave it alone. Of course if the error is in their favor, look out! :angry:

The moderators have access to your IP whether you log in or not, so if you don't trust them, you shouldn't be posting.

Since us mere mortals don't have access to the IP addresses, your logging in or out is irrelevant.

While guests are certainly entitled to their opinions, an opinion from someone who's not willing to put at least a made up online identity isn't going to carry much, if any weight with me (and many others I'm sure).

In short, if you're not interested in sharing personal details, don't do so whether you're logged in or not. Hiding behind a wall of "guest" provides only an illusion of security. (just this man's $0.02).

The moderators have access to your IP whether you log in or not, so if you don't trust them, you shouldn't be posting.
Since us mere mortals don't have access to the IP addresses, your logging in or out is irrelevant.

While guests are certainly entitled to their opinions, an opinion from someone who's not willing to put at least a made up online identity isn't going to carry much, if any weight with me (and many others I'm sure).

In short, if you're not interested in sharing personal details, don't do so whether you're logged in or not. Hiding behind a wall of "guest" provides only an illusion of security. (just this man's $0.02).
I'm very much aware of the moderators having my IP address (and have been on here quite awhile) and am not concerned about them. It's going to stay as it is. It doesn't take just an IP address to identify someone from these boards in public. You are a little short-sighted in that belief.

"While guests are certainly entitled to their opinions, an opinion from someone who's not willing to put at least a made up online identity isn't going to carry much, if any weight with me (and many others I'm sure)."

Personally, I don't care. Neither do I care about "my posts totalling more than yours" nor how many miles my rides total. I've learned more in certain circumstances from the anonymous posters than some who are named. I do, however, share in common the long term survival of Amtrak.

You overvalued that opinion and since you're not the moderator, in plain English, you don't get to tell me or others how to participate on the board.

"if you're not interested in sharing personal details, don't do so whether you're logged in or not"

That's not your decision to make. It's mine and I think about what I'm sharing every time I post.

Your posts appears to be a smoke screen to encourage the fraudulent use of codes. Why don't you return to that subject?

???

Your posts appears to be a smoke screen to encourage the fraudulent use of codes. Why don't you return to that subject?
Where did that come from? That was HokieNav's first post in this thread. I don't see where HokieNav ever supported or encouraged fraudulent use of codes.

Looks like you're putting up a smoke screen to take the heat off.

I would not encourage someone to use a code that they are not entitled to use. I did purchase a ticket using student advantage for my kids but they are both students and have the Student Advantage cards as well. I did wish my son had been born a few months later so I could have gotten his ticket for half price.

RE guests--it is hard to tell if there is one guest posting, or several. I don't recall what the forum even asks when registering. I would think if you don't want to give your location, one could be vague (eastern US) and not post about local events that would give away one's location.

While I agree w/ at least one anonymous guest that codes should not be fraudulently used, I think it dimishes their credibility for some when they opt to not use a registered name. Plus it opens them up to having someone post something disagreeable in "their name."

Dan

Friends - this one is slowly going down hill. Lets all play nice and keep the discussion about Amtrak.
It's hard to go furthur downhill than where this one started. Some here are trying to get up it!

We just booked 4 tickets in Sleeper on Amtrak cross-country. I could have easily gotten a discount on some of the tickets, but being honest is the best policy. I like having a clear conscience.

I would not encourage someone to use a code that they are not entitled to use. I did purchase a ticket using student advantage for my kids but they are both students and have the Student Advantage cards as well. I did wish my son had been born a few months later so I could have gotten his ticket for half price.
RE guests--it is hard to tell if there is one guest posting, or several. I don't recall what the forum even asks when registering. I would think if you don't want to give your location, one could be vague (eastern US) and not post about local events that would give away one's location.

While I agree w/ at least one anonymous guest that codes should not be fraudulently used, I think it dimishes their credibility for some when they opt to not use a registered name. Plus it opens them up to having someone post something disagreeable in "their name."

Dan
It is always refreshing to find parents who care enough to teach their kids by example and aren't afraid to say, "there's a right and there's a wrong. I'm not your friend, I'm your parent and that's my job... and that doing the right thing is not always going to be easy in the culture that you're inheriting, but in the end you've got to live with yourself and your decisions regardless of the lemmings around you."

Re: names. You guys don't get it. I DONT CARE. I've discovered that no ONE person on this forum has all of the answers and that sometimes, the best come from the anonymous. Whether the word used is "Guest" or "Anonymous" is irrelevant.

Dan O: If I posted enough times with my plans (origin and destination) or questions about my plans under a name, sooner or later, you (and the world) would know pretty much where I live. Common sense says that you don't tell the world your plans about being away from your home, just as you don't put your kids' names on their shirts to avoid the familiarity with strangers. If your kids were very young and you put their names/pictures on here, you shouldn't be surprised if someone in the future walks up to your kids on a train and calls them by name. Pay attention to the number of "guests" at the bottom of the screen. A common phrase of mine is, "don't invite trouble into your life".

For a little exercise, google some of the "names" and see what you learn.

If posters are willing to use discount codes fraudulently, what else are they willing to do fraudulently?

???
Where did that come from? That was HokieNav's first post in this thread. I don't see where HokieNav ever supported or encouraged fraudulent use of codes.

Why don't YOU return to the subject? Posting names is not the topic, coupon codes is.

I agree that it is wrong to use a code for a special group if you are not part of the group, but I still don't see anything wrong with using a code for travel to Boston on one portion of a roundtrip ticket from Boston to somewhere else. You have to call to get the discount and the agent on the phone agreed with me that it was using the spirit of the code if it was used on the portion traveling to Boston.

If Amtrak really wanted to cut down on fraudulent use of the codes they should make all of them only available for purchase over the phone, that way an agent can verify them.

A few comments:

1) I think some posters are confusing morality with legality. These are not the same thing.

2) I would be perfectly willing to look the other way in some situations, saving $20 on a ticket means a lot more to some unfortunate people than it does to me.

3) I think it's up to the original poster to decide if the proposed action is morally justified. It has been pointed out that such action may not be the best way to ensure Amtrak's long-term viability. Let it rest at that.

???

Why don't YOU return to the subject? Posting names is not the topic, coupon codes is.
Ok, come clean, this isn't yesterday's Guest_Guest_*, this is a different Guest_Guest_*, right? There may be dozens of you for all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back