CPAP in Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I just was prescribed a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device and am considering bringing it along on my upcoming trip. I'm thinking that I should bring an extension cord so I can plug the unit into the outlet near the window. I'll need to place the unit itself on the "step" where I normally keep a carry-on. Does this sound like a good place?

There's also a chance I might not bring the CPAP machine. After all, this is a vacation -- and I've yet to become fully adjusted to sleeping with what feels like one of those "Alien" facehuggers on my head all night long.

On the other hand, I probably ought to bring the device. Otherwise, I'd ruin others' vacations with my snoring and apnea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just was prescribed a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device and am considering bringing it along on my upcoming trip. I'm thinking that I should bring an extension cord so I can plug the unit into the outlet near the window. I'll need to place the unit itself on the "step" where I normally keep a carry-on. Does this sound like a good place?

There's also a chance I might not bring the CPAP machine. After all, this is a vacation -- and I've yet to become fully adjusted to sleeping with what feels like one of those "Alien" facehuggers on my head all night long.

On the other hand, I probably ought to bring the device. Otherwise, I'd ruin others' vacations with my snoring and apnea.
Isn't the CPAP machine pretty small? If it is, it should fit there just fine. We have fit backpacks & small coolers on the steps. I would bring an extension cord too, just in case. Have a good trip!

My husband uses a CPAP. He's had no problem with it in a roomette. He has placed it on the step, which works well, but also found that it is more stable on the floor under the bed. He has not found it necessary to use an extension cord, but I guess it depends on the length of the cord that comes with your machine. It probably would be a good idea to have one with you "just in case" - better to "have it and not need it" than to "need it and not have it"! I can understand your feelings about wearing the headgear - I sometimes feel like I'm sleeping with Darth Vader - but once you have become adjusted to it, you will find that you will sleep better and feel much more rested throughout the day. Be faithful in using it and you will be rewarded!

I have had a CPAP since 1992, so have been traveling with a CPAP on Amtrak for years.

The "step" is the best place, and you will need an extension cord, because the step is on the oppposite end of the room from the plug. In order to not to have cords all over, I run the cord around the edge of the room, and secure it with duct tape so it doesn't interfere or flop around and snag me. I also go "dry" since I don't want the motion of the train to slosh the water into the machine's innards. Some travelers just fill the reservoir half way or less, but since I spent years using the CPAP without a humidifier, a day or two without it is all right for me.

I always like to sleep "feet forward". If the room is "backward" I use duct tape to strap the CPAP to the little ledge on that side. Lots of it. Not an issue if you don't insist on "feet forward."

As to using it, it is your life and your decision. However, bear in mind that snoring is the least serious problem associated with sleep apnea. Uncorrected sleep apnea causes heart attacks and strokes. Once you get used to the mask, it really doesn't matter where you are.

Thanks for the info, everyone -- especially the tip about duct tape. Thanks also for the gentle reminders about the consequences of not using the device. I'll try to be a more-compliant patient. :)

Having someone snoring loudly close to you can be a real pain in the ear and lead to a sleepless night. Even worse when you know they are gonna be fairly well refreshed the next day whilst you are gonna be falling off that train feeling like a zombie!

I've got mild sleep apnea, don't need a CPAP, and allegedly don't snore much. Just causes me to wake up a bit during the night and need an hour more than most people.

I've used my CPAP in a roomette several times. It works fine. If your unit has a short cord you may want to bring along a power strip or an extension cord - but it shouldn't be a problem.

I just had to pop in and say that every time I read this Tread topic I read "CRAP in Roomette" and I get a mental image of someone opening the door to a roomette on a train and finding a nice pile sitting there in the middle of the floor.

peter

I just had to pop in and say that every time I read this Tread topic I read "CRAP in Roomette" and I get a mental image of someone opening the door to a roomette on a train and finding a nice pile sitting there in the middle of the floor.

peter
That " CRAP " remarks sounds like something I would have said. I have used my BiPap ( a more sophisticated CPAP ) several times in roomettes. Yes, bring an extension cord. The power in the car may go off for brief periods and will interrupt your machine, but this was not a serious problem. Last year my machine quit in Canada and I went two days without it, which amounted to severe withdrawl - not funny. I now own two of them, but only take one when travelling. I also have two battery systems to use in my tent when camping, but they are too heavy to haul as luggage on public transportation.

You can purchase the H room for roughly the same price as a roomette and there ill be plenty of room for your breathing device. Sleep apnea can be fatal so its a good idea to always use the beathing device.

I'm not sure that sleep apnea would count as a mobility impairment to get you in the H room.

Even if it did, I'd feel bad about taking it and potentially depriving someone that actually needed it (I don't have a CPAP, but really think that I need one - need to get off my butt and call the doctor and get an appointment done).

I've used CPAP for years. ALWAYS carry an extension cord and a 3-way plug on any trip (hate those hotels with only two sockets - one for clock and one for light). 3-way plug is useful in Europe as extension plugs in to Euro plug adapter then 3 way into that and I have 3 connections - one for CPAP, one for cell charger and one for netbook charger - all of which handle 240V (European hotels are lucky to have ONE socket available in the whole room!)

I bought a 12V Li-Ion battery pack that will power CPAP almost all night with heater and a couple of nights without. Can be carried aboard plane. I use it when power connection is inconvenient.

In top bunk on train, I place my CPAP crosswise to bunk along wall at my head as I am short enough to fit with bent legs. No danger of it falling then and breaking or waking me up. On bottom bunk, I place it on floor or in similar location to top bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back