CPAP on the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for about a month or so learning all I can absorb. You have been very helpful, I have taken the CZ from Denver to Chicago and back several times to visit my kids who live in the northern suburbs. I have always traveled coach but this time I have company and we are getting a roomette. My traveling companion sleeps with a CPAP and is wondering if it is something he can use on the train or should he forgo it untill we reach our destionation we will be taking the CZ and then the LSL to Albany. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks! :)

In a roomette, he can most certainly use a CPAP machine. But he should know that it is possible that power could drop out for a few minutes here and there.

I had my CPAP last trip and yes, be prepared for power interuptions. Also bring an extension cord long enough so that you can situate the CPAP where you want it as the outlet might end up being at the foot of the bed.

My wife has used her CPAP on all of our trips and except for the aforementioned power outages, everything went fine. She sleeps on the lower bunk and it looks like it might be more difficult to use it on the upper bunk without a long extension cord. Also may need an extended socket depending on which type of car you get and the plug you have.

My two cents are similar to the above responses. Yes, the power may drop for short period and yes, bring an extension cord. My machine cord would have been stretched taut otherwise. Because of my machine ( BiPap ) I will no longer travel overnight in coach ( or on Greyhound. ) Theoretically it would be possible to run it in coaches, but that sounds like an awkward situation. I have used it three times on the Southwest Chief and one night on the Cardinal.

I have used a C-Pap for the last 4 years. most of the time I ride sleepers, and yes bring an extension cord. The two things that I have encountered, as said before, is the infrequent power outages, because I wake up immediately, but my machine comes back on as soon as power is back.

The other time, I rode coach I asked the conductor if he could find me a coach seat with an outlet because of why I needed it. He was able to find me one. luckily the train was not crowded.

I'm just getting to sleep and a little girl comes over, puts her face right up to mine and starts to pull my mask, and asking, in a loud voice what is that. That sure woke me up fast.

I have used a C-Pap for the last 4 years. most of the time I ride sleepers, and yes bring an extension cord. The two things that I have encountered, as said before, is the infrequent power outages, because I wake up immediately, but my machine comes back on as soon as power is back.The other time, I rode coach I asked the conductor if he could find me a coach seat with an outlet because of why I needed it. He was able to find me one. luckily the train was not crowded.

I'm just getting to sleep and a little girl comes over, puts her face right up to mine and starts to pull my mask, and asking, in a loud voice what is that. That sure woke me up fast.
Thank You all for the info. We will remember to bring an extension cord. We are getting excited about the trip. Leaving one week from tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a C-Pap for the last 4 years. most of the time I ride sleepers, and yes bring an extension cord. The two things that I have encountered, as said before, is the infrequent power outages, because I wake up immediately, but my machine comes back on as soon as power is back.The other time, I rode coach I asked the conductor if he could find me a coach seat with an outlet because of why I needed it. He was able to find me one. luckily the train was not crowded.

Thank You all for the info. We will remember to bring an extension cord. We are getting excited about the trip. Leaving one week from tomorrow!
I've been traveling on Amtrak with a CPAP since the early 90's. In addition to the extension cord/power strip, you also may want to bring duct tape. If the room is facing the "wrong" direction, I can't put the CPAP on the carpeted "step" and it isn't secure on the little ledge by the closet on the other side. So I secure the CPAP with duct tape. It is also useful for taping down the extension cord, so it doesn't get in your way.

BTW - I don't use the humidifier on the train, due to the potential slosh factor.

Hi,

Been using CPAP for 5 ++ years. No problem. As everybody else states, extention cord is a must. Duck tape is also good idea. When they disconnect the HEP from the locomotive, of course power goes off...but comes right back when HEP is reconnected: no need to turn off your CPAP.

I use the humidifier, but 1/3 full only ( enough for the one night ) due to the slush factor someone else referred to.

Never had a problem.

Smooth Rails

Cheers

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back