Crescent ATL-NOL: Is Roomette worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coach $39/2911 pts; Roomette $243/3627 pts. Besides extra privacy. what extra amenities does sleeper accommodation offer on this 12-hour, all daylight journey? I gather the consist does not include a diner car. and I won't need to sleep. Thanks.

Flex dining lunch & dinner (maybe breakfast), 1 alcoholic beverage with dinner, unlimited soft drinks & coffee.

Perhaps most importantly, the freedom to go mask-free in the room (whether officially allowed or not), and isolation from the huddled masses breathing viruses.
Thanks. I suppose $20 per hour for that kind of comfort ain't bad.

I remember when the roomette was a $50 add-on between ATL and NOL and included three real meals. $50/pp for rail cost and $50 more for room for two with the meals. Did that a number of times. BR was usually around $75-$150. About 10 years ago.

I have always thought it a bit extravagent to book a private room for a daytime train, but I can fully understand doing that now to minimise covid risks. Otherwise, I don't see the value in paying $200 more for a couple of Amtrak meals?
Amtrak "flex" meals yet,making the choice of Coach more sensible. The Crescent is usually less crowded South of Atlanta,so the chance of a seatmate is less.

I remember when the roomette was a $50 add-on between ATL and NOL and included three real meals. $50/pp for rail cost and $50 more for room for two with the meals. Did that a number of times. BR was usually around $75-$150. About 10 years ago.
Yes, those were the days. My wife and I travelled ATN-NOL-ATN several years each labor day in a bedroom over the last 22 years. Not recently and, based on current very high ridiculous bedroom prices, maybe not again in the near future.

Just to be clear, are Flex meals available to coach pax? On a pay basis? Thanks. And if so, do you have to eat them at your seat?
No. You have to buy food in the cafe car. You aren't missing anything by not having flex meals.

Coach $39/2911 pts; Roomette $243/3627 pts. Besides extra privacy. what extra amenities does sleeper accommodation offer on this 12-hour, all daylight journey? I gather the consist does not include a diner car. and I won't need to sleep. Thanks.
Please be aware the roomette point redemption value ATL-NOL is 8,627 points, not 3,627. I would book that in a second if that was the value. I believe the $39 and $243 are the lowest fares. Generally I would agree that paying for a room in the daytime is not worth the value, especially since it's $39 for coach. Unless you are unable to spend the cash for coach, I wouldn't redeem those 2.9k points for $39 in coach. Since the lowest redemption value is 800 points, the scale is slightly skewed. 2,911 points for $39 equates to 1.34 cents per point, while 8,627 for $243 is 2.82 cents per point. I would say save those for a longer stint in a roomette. CHI-EMY can be had for just shy of 20k. Coach and Acela redemptions cost more per point. Previous posters are correct that the Crescent is much less busy south of Atlanta, and there would be a much higher chance of having no seatmate.

Just to be clear, are Flex meals available to coach pax? On a pay basis? Thanks. And if so, do you have to eat them at your seat?
What @Sidney meant was that, given that the "meals" you get for all that extra money in a roomette, it makes buying one much less of a value. Now had Amtrak still had to traditional meals and the traditional times, you could have a steak dinner, delicious breakfast, good burger lunch and an abbreviated chicken dinner before arrival in NOL. All those subtract from the cost of the room in terms of its value.

Please be aware the roomette point redemption value ATL-NOL is 8,627 points, not 3,627. I would book that in a second if that was the value. I believe the $39 and $243 are the lowest fares. Generally I would agree that paying for a room in the daytime is not worth the value, especially since it's $39 for coach. Unless you are unable to spend the cash for coach, I wouldn't redeem those 2.9k points for $39 in coach. Since the lowest redemption value is 800 points, the scale is slightly skewed. 2,911 points for $39 equates to 1.34 cents per point, while 8,627 for $243 is 2.82 cents per point. I would say save those for a longer stint in a roomette. CHI-EMY can be had for just shy of 20k. Coach and Acela redemptions cost more per point. Previous posters are correct that the Crescent is much less busy south of Atlanta, and there would be a much higher chance of having no seatmate.
You are right about the point redemption value. My mistake. However, having decided I want a roomette, I did a different calculation to decide whether to pay cash or use points for the roomette. It cost $245 to buy roughly 8600 points during Amtrak's promotion that ends tonight (12/31). So, it being a wash, I paid cash rather than spend the points. By doing so, I will actually increase my points balance a small amount.

Back