Crescent cancellations in Feb.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I had just booked a portion of "Saxman's USA Amtrak Tour 2009" using the Crescent to go from Slidell, LA to Washington DC a few days ago. My departure date was to be Feb. 4th. Well this morning I just received a phone call from Amtrak saying they just found out the Crescent will not be running several day in February between Atlanta and New Orleans, including the 4th ):. I have not called them back yet, but from the message she left, they will only be running the full route on Feb. 1st, 6th, 7th. and 8th. I'm sure there are other days, but sounds like its annulled past ATL for the weekdays. I'll call Amtrak tomorrow to get the full scoop, but this just changes everything for me and my USA Amtrak Tour 2009. Since I'm taking the Sunset Limited to New Orleans the day before, I have to make sure that I take that on a day it runs, to spend one night and continue on the Crescent. Unfortunetely I had already booked another sleeper on the Sunset for the 3rd, so it looks like I'll have to change it to the 6th, so I can leave on the Crescent on the 7th. Not to mention I had planned the trip to end up in Wisconsin Dells right on Feb. 13 before Valentines Day to see the girlfriend. Looks like that won't happen now either. :angry: On the good side I have not made any other reservations yet, and since February is not a peak travel month, some low bucket sleepers are still available. It's also good, I have no times commitments in any other city I plan to stop over in. Hopefully I don't run into any other cancellations in trying to book "Saxman's USA Amtrak Tour 2009."

If you don't know about my Tour 2009, please visit this thread on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The luck of the draw, as they say.

I like to book my trains around paying the lowest prices for roomettes, and often find my intricate plans "derailed" by an unexpectedly high price on one leg.. then it's back to the planning again!

Fortunatly, although I have experienced some eye watering delays, I have never yet had a train I wanted to use cancelled..

Ed B)

These truncations are usually created by NS track forces doing heavy rail replacement bridge repair or tie replacements. Sorry...
Had8ley is correct. NS is doing track work on the days of the truncation of service to and from ATL and NOL. It is scheduled to be completed on Feb 19th, which will just be in time for Mardi Gras. NS generally does excellent work on improving the track conditions at this time - they work a 10 hour day, 4 days a week.

So this means the Crescent consist will be parked on that old siding next to the station?
Yes, 19 will arrive and then the crew will wye the train and back it into the old steel mill track on the freeway side of the station, where it will be ready to go back north as 20.

I'm curious, does the Crescent typically get re-fueled in Charlotte or Atlanta? Charlotte makes more sense since this where the Carolinian gets serviced each night...

Yep, Charlotte indeed. I watched the process of refueling/etc when I went up to Raleigh in July. Probably going to be taking the same trip later this month too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back