Crescent Newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

Service Attendant
Hi all! Next week I'm setting out on the Crescent (NYP-NOL round trip), a route I have never before travelled. I've found some older trip reports about the train itself, some of the stations people frequent, but I haven't found much about the scenery, best photo opportunities, favorite areas to travel though, etc. Does anyone have any need to know tips or advice? It would be much appreciated. I am really excited about making this trip.

Anniston to Birmingham is one of my many favorite stretches on the Crescent's route. Part of it runs through the Talladega National Forest, and there is even a tunnel on the line. It's really scenic, especially late March through early September, with woods, rolling hills, rock cuts, creeks, farmlands, and small towns.

Also for a really unusual sight, while the train passes through the grounds of Anniston Army Depot, there is a display of various tanks and other military armor beside the train. It can be a bit startling to passengers that don't realize the train is passing through an active military installation!

Not to be missed northbound is sunrise in Virginia north of Lynchburg.Here to Manassas is unspeakably beautiful on a summer morning. And don't miss sighting the Jefferson Memorial between Alexandria and the tunnel into Union Station.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi all! Next week I'm setting out on the Crescent (NYP-NOL round trip), a route I have never before travelled. I've found some older trip reports about the train itself, some of the stations people frequent, but I haven't found much about the scenery, best photo opportunities, favorite areas to travel though, etc. Does anyone have any need to know tips or advice? It would be much appreciated. I am really excited about making this trip.
:hi: Welcome! Since you are Traveling in a Viewliner Sleeper from NYP you will be Rolling Through the Major Cities on the NEC (Newark/Philadelphia/Wilmington/Baltimore/Washington!Pretty Fast Running, over 100MPH in Some Stretches and youll see lots of Trains, both Amtrak and Commuter! Most of us prefer the Top Bunk in the Viewliner Roomette,that allows you to Leave the Downstairs set up for Sitting, using the Sink and Toliet and Storing your Stuff! The Shower is in the Back by the Attendants (SCA) Room and your Meals will be in the Diner (the 60+ Year Old Heritage Diners :wub: ) which is in Front of the Sleepers. The Lounge/Cafe Car is the next Car forward after the Diner followed by the Coaches up to the Baggage Car, then the Engines!. You will be offered Dinner between NYP and WAS, but can opt for a Later Serving after WAS where the Train usually fills up!!

After the Layover in WAS to Change Engines, it will Slowly Grow Dark as you roll through Virginia and on through the Night in the Carolinas! Breakfast is served before Arrival into Atlanta, you will have time to get off and stretch your Legs and can go up into the Small Station for a Quick Look! Most of the Train Empties Out Here, but some Folks get on going to various places in the South.

You will be served Lunch around Birmingham (another Quickie Stop where you can get off to Stretch but the Station is a Pit in the Basement sourrounded by a Dreary Looking Ghost Town Type Buildings, Best to Stay on the Platform! There will be a Limited Menu Quickie Supper served in Mississippi, usually after Hattisburg. Be sure and look for the Swamps as you Roll into Louisiana and the Entrance Across the Lake to New Orleans is like being on a Boat, you're surrounded by Water! :cool: Enjoy the trip, it's not the most Scenic LD Train but it is a Train and

you are going to a Fantastic Place, New Orleans! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anniston to Birmingham is one of my many favorite stretches on the Crescent's route. Part of it runs through the Talladega National Forest, and there is even a tunnel on the line. It's really scenic, especially late March through early September, with woods, rolling hills, rock cuts, creeks, farmlands, and small towns.

Also for a really unusual sight, while the train passes through the grounds of Anniston Army Depot, there is a display of various tanks and other military armor beside the train. It can be a bit startling to passengers that don't realize the train is passing through an active military installation!

Not to be missed northbound is sunrise in Virginia north of Lynchburg.Here to Manassas is unspeakably beautiful on a summer morning. And don't miss sighting the Jefferson Memorial between Alexandria and the tunnel into Union Station.

Enjoy your trip!
Just wanted to echo what RampWidget said.. plan to wake up with the sun on the North bound trip, you'll see possibly one of the most amazing sunrises in your life as the train is traveling through the mountains of Virginia passing over several high trestles. If you happen to sleep in a bit (as I have done sometimes) you will still see some great morning views from your sleeper, and at breakfast.

Agreed that Anniston to Birmingham is quite nice.. and of course once you get closer to slidel LA you'll pass through some swamp/marsh areas before the famous Lake Ponchatrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back