Crescent Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescent Mark

Service Attendant
Hey guys,

This is my first post after lurking for quite some time. Anyway, I'm planning a trip back from Raleigh to Atlanta next month, and I had some basic/generic questions. I will be taking the Carolinian from Raleigh to Greensboro, and then the Crescent from Greensboro to Atlanta. Late night journey! Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a curious guy. Any help will be appreciated.

-I will be getting off at about 8am in Atlanta (if we're on time) - what time does the dining car on the Crescent open? Will I have time to have a great breakfast at about 7am before I get off?

-Speaking of dining car, I was viewing photos of the Crescent on Flickr recently, and I saw someone mention that the Crescent might no longer carry a dining car anymore. This struck me as odd; is there even any truth to that? Was it just a rumor floating around?

-What type of consist is the Crescent carrying these days? Back when I took it to DC in 2000, it was during a peak travel period, and we had a pretty big consist with us. I'm pretty sure we had two P42's back-to-back, a baggage car, some type of crew car, THREE sleepers (!), a dining car, a cafe car, and six coaches. When I traveled to New Orleans the following year, I only saw the two P42's, a baggage, two sleepers, a diner, a cafe car, and four coaches. What's it carrying these days, if anyone knows?

-Since I will be taking the Carolinian too, what's it carrying? A P42 with 4-5 coaches and a cafe car?

-What's the Greensboro station like? I have about a 6 hour layover there.

Thanks everyone!

Mark,

I can help you out with a few of your questions. I routinely take the Crescent southbound into Atlanta and as long as you're in the diner at least an hour before the estimated arrival into Atlanta, you'll be fine. What I typically do is wake up at 6, shower, shave, dress, pack up the room, and get into the diner by 7 (if the train's running on time). If they're busy, I'll mention to the dining car staff that I'm getting off at Atlanta and they are usually pretty good about making sure I'm doing fine on time.

I have heard nothing about the Crescent losing its diner, and frankly, I would take that as a flat-out rumor. I'm sure someone will leap in and correct me if I've missed something, but again, I would take this as a flat-out rumor.

The crescent carries a similar consist these days. I believe it's the exact consist you list, although I have seen three sleepers on the train on rare occasions, and I've seen up to 5 coaches, but that's rare, too.

-Rafi

Its possible it might lose its diner, but I think its in the future, not immediate. Its more likely that it would give it up than the interlined Silver Service trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back