Crescent questions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
We are planning a trip for this summer - 6 persons, 4 roomettes - from PHL to NOL. Coming back 3 persons and 2 roomettes. I know there is more storage space in Viewliner bedroom than in Superliner room, but I'm trying to get a sense of how much room we have for bags in the Viewliners? Having access to the bags downstairs in Superliners was convenient - and trying to convince family able important to pack extra light for the Crescent.

And I was reading that on the Crescent the sleerers are at the rear of consist - is that correct? One more thing about older vs. newer diners -- I know older means older, but doesn't it also mean more romance and character? Where is the prettiest scenery - as in off the train not on it :rolleyes: ? Alabama has lots of pretty places - any mountains on this trip once south of Virginia and No Carolina?

Thank you.

Alabama has lots of pretty places - any mountains on this trip once south of Virginia and No Carolina?
Yes, you do pass thru mountains in VA, NC and SC - but it is in darkness both ways!
sad.gif

John,

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats. If you need anything more than that, then I would recommend checking some luggage and letting it go into the baggage car.

The Crescent is probably my most travelled route and I really like it. It has a lovely feel to it. As far as scenery the Atlanta GA-Birmingham AL portion has some very pretty parts traveling through the hills, passing through a tunnel, and running a long a very scenic creek down below the tracks for quite some time. South of Birmingham it's not particularly scenic, but very fun to see the small southern towns.

Once in LA of course you get to travel through some pretty marshes, filled with birds and alligators (if your lucky!). And of course the crossing of Lake Ponchatrain.

As far as ATL-WAS. Unfortunately much of this scenery is passed at night, however if you wake up early you will get to see some really cool high trestles and mountains Southbound in Georgia. And Northbound the same thing in VA. The sunrise on the Northbound Crescent is truly remarkable.

As far as the diner is concerned, the cars are older in age, but have gone through pretty much the same interior rehabs as all of the other Amtrak cars so expect about the same as the Superliner Cars. The most recently refurbished cars are actually quite charming with the star-light style roof, and dark green upholstery (I always forget the name of this style of car, it starts with a "T" :) ) . Other Diners are pretty identical to the Superliner Diners. Most of the Diner Crews I've encountered on the Crescent were exceptionally good.

Hope you have a great time!

And I was reading that on the Crescent the sleerers are at the rear of consist - is that correct? One more thing about older vs. newer diners -- I know older means older, but doesn't it also mean more romance and character? Where is the prettiest scenery - as in off the train not on it :rolleyes: ? Alabama has lots of pretty places - any mountains on this trip once south of Virginia and No Carolina?

Thank you.
The sleepers could be on either end.

As far as the diner is concerned, the cars are older in age, but have gone through pretty much the same interior rehabs as all of the other Amtrak cars so expect about the same as the Superliner Cars. The most recently refurbished cars are actually quite charming with the star-light style roof, and dark green upholstery (I always forget the name of this style of car, it starts with a "T" :) ) . Other Diners are pretty identical to the Superliner Diners. Most of the Diner Crews I've encountered on the Crescent were exceptionally good.
Based on a RT on the Silver Meteor and one trip on the Lake Shore Limited, I both agree and disagree. I agree the "T" style diner on the LSL had some charm. But the heritage diners on the SM seem to have gotten the same treatment as the so-called lounge cars on single level LD trains, very drab and not at all like superliners.

The Crescent is probably my most travelled route and I really like it. It has a lovely feel to it. As far as scenery the Atlanta GA-Birmingham AL portion has some very pretty parts traveling through the hills, passing through a tunnel, and running a long a very scenic creek down below the tracks for quite some time. South of Birmingham it's not particularly scenic, but very fun to see the small southern towns.
On our trip to Slidell last fall, all I remember was seeing the close-up trees by the tracks blocking the view of anything beyond.

Based on a RT on the Silver Meteor and one trip on the Lake Shore Limited, I both agree and disagree. I agree the "T" style diner on the LSL had some charm. But the heritage diners on the SM seem to have gotten the same treatment as the so-called lounge cars on single level LD trains, very drab and not at all like superliners.
Yes, the "non-T" heritage diners seem to have different degrees of charm. Some are quite drab indeed while others seem to have more of a superliner style. To be honest, I'm not sure I even know what the current Superliner Diner looks like, it's been years since I've seen one. It's been all CCC's lately on the Capitol and of course the City as well.

The most recently refurbished cars are actually quite charming with the star-light style roof, and dark green upholstery (I always forget the name of this style of car, it starts with a "T" :) ) .
That would be the Temoinsa rebuild, named after the Spanish company that made the refurb kits that Beech Grove installed in about half the fleet.

Thank you.
The sleepers could be on either end.
As of this morning the sleepers were on the rear of # 20 with the baggage car BEHIND the sleepers to try to add stability to the ride for pax in the sleepers. The tail end car on a high speed train tends to oscillate on the tracks and there have been many complaints of rough trips from those pax in the #1911 & 2011 sleepers~ the last cars on the Crescent since they moved them to the rear. As far as scenery goes Slidell is fairly open coming from the north after you pass under the Highway 11 bridge and follow Highway 11 into town and the station. From the station south to the Lake Ponchatrain is where you'll see trees as Highway 11 turns away from track side. One of my favorite views is sunset going across Lake Ponchatrain. This is starting to be the time of year to see it if # 19 is on time. Enjoy your trip! :)

If you are boarding in PHL and traveling to NOL, full baggage service is available so you need not worry so much about carry ons. One overnight bag per person is more than sufficient as all that you will need are undergarments, socks, extra shirt, pair of pants, maybe a compact travel pillow and your personal convenience items. Two overnight bags will fit in a roomette or bedroom with ease.

If you are boarding in PHL and traveling to NOL, full baggage service is available so you need not worry so much about carry ons. One overnight bag per person is more than sufficient as all that you will need are undergarments, socks, extra shirt, pair of pants, maybe a compact travel pillow and your personal convenience items. Two overnight bags will fit in a roomette or bedroom with ease.
We are traveling to NOL in early June on the Crescent and have a bedroom. We are boarding in Culpepper VA and there is no baggage service available. Even with the two wheeled carryons we should be able to fit them in the overhead racks over the bathroom and the hall.

The most recently refurbished cars are actually quite charming with the star-light style roof, and dark green upholstery (I always forget the name of this style of car, it starts with a "T" :) ) .
That would be the Temoinsa rebuild, named after the Spanish company that made the refurb kits that Beech Grove installed in about half the fleet.
There it is, I always want to say "Tuscan" but I knew that wasn't right. I actually didn't know that about the kits, no wonder those cars look different than any of the other Amtrak cars.

To be honest, I'm not sure I even know what the current Superliner Diner looks like, it's been years since I've seen one. It's been all CCC's lately on the Capitol and of course the City as well.
You would be amazed. The Superliner dining car has a service area in the middle of the upper level, with seating on either side. The entire lower level is used for the kitchen to make it a truly full-service diner. They use a dumb waiter to transfer the food from the kitchen to the service area. We had no complaints about the food on our trip on the Sunset Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I'm not sure I even know what the current Superliner Diner looks like, it's been years since I've seen one. It's been all CCC's lately on the Capitol and of course the City as well.
You would be amazed. The Superliner dining car has a service area in the middle of the upper level, with seating on either side. The entire lower level is used for the kitchen to make it a truly full-service diner. They use a dumb waiter to transfer the food from the kitchen to the service area. We had no complaints about the food on our trip on the Sunset Limited.
Oh, haha, I wasn't clear, I know the general layout of the car. Indeed the CCC cars operate the same way. I had meant I wasn't sure what the current decor of the standard Superliner Diner is, since it's been several years. My last memory of them, they were not much different than the "non-Temoinsa" single level diners. Not extremely charming, but nothing really wrong either.

As for food quality, the Superliner Diners (EB, and AT exceptions) operate the same way as the CCC when used as a diner, and the Single Level Heritage Diners. And indeed I have had great food in all 3. I've also had food that was lacking in all 3. It has to do with the crew, more than the actual car in my opinion.

Oh, haha, I wasn't clear, I know the general layout of the car. Indeed the CCC cars operate the same way. I had meant I wasn't sure what the current decor of the standard Superliner Diner is, since it's been several years.

What decor? I didn't notice anything special. You haven't missed much. They did have disposable tablecloths and REAL eating utensils, but the dishes were disposable. They are very sturdy dishes, though and look like the real thing.

Oh, haha, I wasn't clear, I know the general layout of the car. Indeed the CCC cars operate the same way. I had meant I wasn't sure what the current decor of the standard Superliner Diner is, since it's been several years.

What decor? I didn't notice anything special. You haven't missed much. They did have disposable tablecloths and REAL eating utensils, but the dishes were disposable. They are very sturdy dishes, though and look like the real thing.
I mean the over-all interior design of the car. What you are describing is the dining cars on all amtrak trains, regardless of Superliner or Single Level.

I am guessing that the Superliner Dining Cars still look like this? Superliner Diner That's how they looked the last time I rode them.

By Comparison, here is a Single Level Dining Car - Single Level Diner

And for fun... the Single Level Dining Car with the "Temoinsa" rebuild - Temoinsa Diner

Actually... after looking at those three pics, it seems pretty obvious to me that the Temoinsa wins hands down as the most charming diners in the fleet. I knew I liked them the best, but after looking at the pics back to back it's very clear why!

Last edited by a moderator:
John King, here are links to a coupla pics of the Viewliner Roomette overhead luggage storage:

Overhead1 Overhead2

God forbid Amtrak would show that depiction on the virtual tour photos.

Also, I had to laugh at TVRM610's comment, "Indeed the CCC cars operate the same way." Except sometimes the CCC "seats" don't have enough room to accommodate one's keester (and I don't have a double-wide, I'm slim).

The first time I rode The Crescent, NYP-New Orleans, was in the summertime (June), in the 1996 debut of the Viewliner fleet, and I remember the dark of night in the deep South illuminated with twinklings of millions of lightning bugs. You'll love it.

Also, I had to laugh at TVRM610's comment, "Indeed the CCC cars operate the same way." Except sometimes the CCC "seats" don't have enough room to accommodate one's keester (and I don't have a double-wide, I'm slim).
Haha.. of course I was referring to the operation with the full kitchen below and the dumb waiter to bring the food (the elevator, not the actual waiters :) )

As I duck for cover for even mentioning this, I have never had a problem with the CCC booths and have sat in both kinds for full meal service. I know I am in the extreme minority, but I love the CCC design because it is "different" and think it looks very nice. I've also thought it odd that people complain about having booths facing away from the windows when there are several RR's that had very similar designs in the "Golden Age" when everything was so perfect. ha.

When we rode the Crescent at Christmas from Charlottesville, VA (50 miles S. of Culpeper and has checked baggage service)the sleepers were on the rear. Being our first LD train trip I was too excited to be bothered by the swaying. Didn't get much sleep due to excitement and bouncing more than swaying. The upper bunk is cozy when you are 6'1" and pushing 250. Overhead storage held our overnight bags fine. Tight squeeze to use the "facilities" in the roomette with the upper bed down. But both the 19 and 20 were excellent first time trips. We had an unusual snow event that had us watching snow all the way into Alabama, really cool looking out the back of the sleeper and watching the snow billows from the train. Food was good, coffee machine in our Viewliner was broken, but was able to grab it from the other car no problems.

I like to wake up in northern Virginia, traveling northbound. I walk into the diner with my mouth watering for the old fashioned railroad french toast. The morning sun over the Virginia landscape is breath taking.

I also like the approach to and from New Orleans.

And for anyone not familiar with our national government buildings and monuments etc much of that can be seen on the left hand side going north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back