Crescent questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the Crescent last summer, NOL to ALX and thought the views were beautiful - not like the CZ but I think the the South is lovely in its own right. I got my best photos from the Causeway, each side looking like a completely different lake. If the train's not late going South (#20) then you would still see the Causeway in daylight. If you didn't want to stay far from the station, there's a Hyatt within walking distance and a Holiday Inn & HIE at most a half mile from the station. If you would rather get the flavor of NOL then Mr Dylan's suggestion of the Plas D'Armes Hotel is an excellent idea, close to what the city is all about.
But if you travel in the other direction, you'll leave the Pennsylvania station 'bout a quarter to four. Read a magazine and then you're in Baltimore. Nothing could be finer: dinner in the diner. Then you'll have your hams and eggs in Carolina.

Thanks to all! We will likely go NOL to NYP on the Crescent. Does anyone have hotel suggestions for NY in August?

Google up hotels Tony, I like Kayak.cim since it gives you lots of sites but bookit.com, hotels.com and Orbitz are also very useful as is Travel Advisor.

The two closest Hotels to Penn Station are the Hotel Pennsylvania and the New Yorker ( see Charlie Hamiltons interesting post on this old jewel,) but they can be pricey for what they offer.

As Bill says, the Hampton Inn is pretty nice if you can get a good price!( under $150 with Breakfast is good in NY). YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all! We will likely go NOL to NYP on the Crescent. Does anyone have hotel suggestions for NY in August?
We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on 31st St just a block away from the 7th Ave. entrance to NYP. Free breakfast, nice staff and good neighborhood. and easily walkable. Rate change daily so you may find an occasional bargain like we did on our visits.

The Hotel Pennsylvania is the closest, just across 7th Avenue. My recollection is that it was cheap, but the reviews were horrible, and I never considered it again.

On my first trip to New York, I was concerned about staying near the station, and the Hampton Inn mentioned by Railroad Bill was our choice. It was fine but I've never been back because I take the subway to whatever hotel I've chosen.

As to what will be good in August, pick your brand and keep checking the prices.

If you are leaving NOL on a Thursday through Monday. there should be a National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteer on board as far as ATL to tell you about the natural and cultural resources that you'll be passing.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on 31st St just a block away from the 7th Ave. entrance to NYP. Free breakfast, nice staff and good neighborhood. and easily walkable. Rate change daily so you may find an occasional bargain like we did on our visits.
I've stayed here, too, and will also recommend it. Be aware that it's officially "Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area" (if you're looking it up online, there are a lot of other Hampton Inns to confuse it with). I had a room on the southwest corner of the 11th floor, and it was surprisingly quiet.

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania. It was a dump 20 years ago. It is not better now.

It's so easy to get around NYC and there are truly excellent hotels everywhere. If you can get into any of the SIXTY properties, they're fantastic. I'm especially fond of 6 Columbus, right on Columbus Circle (and a whole pile of useful subways) but a little out of the main tourist drags. Also right by Central Park. You can't go wrong with the Columbus Circle area.

Hudson Hotel and Empire Hotel are both destination party hotels. They're nice properties but the clientele can get rowdy.

Remember, rooms in NYC are notoriously small.

Hotel Giraffe is a relaible east side property, but it can be a little tougher to get around on the east side. Oh, and Hotel Beacon has suite style rooms so you can cook a few meals or lay in supplies for breakfast/sandwiches etc from the grocery store across the street. That will save you beaucoup bucks on food, which you can then use on nicer meals at a few really great places.

Speaking of food - what do you guys like? I'm happy to suggest some places.

Sushi? Indian? Pizza? Chinese? American? Steak?

Oh. Also. There's a Homewood Suites in the Garment District (walking distance from NYP). It's a Hilton property, has a reliably acceptable free breakfast and is also walking distance from a Whole Foods for groceries. The hotel has suite-style rooms w/ kitchens.

If you travel light, think backpack only, you could have some fun getting rooms one or two nights at a time w/ an app like HotelTonight. They've got fantastic properties, always reliable, and you can get into some really, really posh hotels for big discounts.

If you will be flying out of Newark airport think about the hotels close to Newark Penn station. Much less costly and you can travel on Amtrak NJ Transit or PATH to Manhattan. Much cheaper to EWR airport from there also.

This article ran in the Times back in November and has some fun ideas. I'm a fan of Murray's. I secured my breakfast from them yesterday from the outpost in Grand Central. They don't have hot sandwiches at that one, but some bresaola, runny brie, crackers, and grapes worked just fine. Bonus for the market at GCT - it's usually pretty empty in the mornings. As the day wears on it's a madhouse.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/04/travel/new-york-city-budget-travel.html

Summer streets can be a fun activity.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/summerstreets/html/route/route.shtml

Also, depending when you're here in August there are lots of free or super cheap activities - outdoor movies, music festivals (Celebrate Brooklyn, Salsafest, Lincoln Center out of Doors), culture walks, etc. Also free - Thursday afternoons are the Broadway Show League softball games in Central Park, usually on Heckscher ballfields. You can take in some slow-pitch softball played by cast and crew of shows throughout the city, have a hot dog, ride the merry-go-round, and if it's blisteringly hot, you can pack a swim suit and walk through the water playground at the base of the fields. It'll cool you down and, as long as you don't make a fool of yourself, nobody will give you any trouble about not having a kid along.

In addition to seeing a Broadway show, think about trying some of NYC's immersive theater scene. Sleep No More is an interactive room-by-room reimagining of Macbeth. Fuerza Bruta (bonus of getting you to the Union Square/Gramercy Park Area) is ridiculously fun (warning, you stand for an hour and it's ok). Be prepared to get wet, but you'll dry off plenty quickly in August and Union Square has a charming night time scene indoors and out. Also, if you've never seen the Blue Men, Blue Man Group is a great option.

For a worthwhile splurge, consider The Campbell Apartment in Grand Central. It's a beautiful 20's style affair and the former office and salon of John W. Campbell. Drinks are pricey, but worth it for one or two for the experience. Either one would make for a great beginning or nightcap to a special date night. This place doesn't allow jeans to t-shirts.

OK. I'll pipe down now.

Probably.

I have been known to take an extra day in New Orleans just for the chance to have dinner at Irene's in the French Quarter. Outstanding ... but reservations are a must.

This article ran in the Times back in November and has some fun ideas. I'm a fan of Murray's. I secured my breakfast from them yesterday from the outpost in Grand Central. They don't have hot sandwiches at that one, but some bresaola, runny brie, crackers, and grapes worked just fine. Bonus for the market at GCT - it's usually pretty empty in the mornings. As the day wears on it's a madhouse.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/04/travel/new-york-city-budget-travel.html

Summer streets can be a fun activity.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/summerstreets/html/route/route.shtml

Also, depending when you're here in August there are lots of free or super cheap activities - outdoor movies, music festivals (Celebrate Brooklyn, Salsafest, Lincoln Center out of Doors), culture walks, etc. Also free - Thursday afternoons are the Broadway Show League softball games in Central Park, usually on Heckscher ballfields. You can take in some slow-pitch softball played by cast and crew of shows throughout the city, have a hot dog, ride the merry-go-round, and if it's blisteringly hot, you can pack a swim suit and walk through the water playground at the base of the fields. It'll cool you down and, as long as you don't make a fool of yourself, nobody will give you any trouble about not having a kid along.

In addition to seeing a Broadway show, think about trying some of NYC's immersive theater scene. Sleep No More is an interactive room-by-room reimagining of Macbeth. Fuerza Bruta (bonus of getting you to the Union Square/Gramercy Park Area) is ridiculously fun (warning, you stand for an hour and it's ok). Be prepared to get wet, but you'll dry off plenty quickly in August and Union Square has a charming night time scene indoors and out. Also, if you've never seen the Blue Men, Blue Man Group is a great option.

For a worthwhile splurge, consider The Campbell Apartment in Grand Central. It's a beautiful 20's style affair and the former office and salon of John W. Campbell. Drinks are pricey, but worth it for one or two for the experience. Either one would make for a great beginning or nightcap to a special date night. This place doesn't allow jeans to t-shirts.

OK. I'll pipe down now.

Probably.
Lord, no, do not stop! Your recommendations are marvelous! Please....more!

Me again.

Train fan stuff - I second the rec to walk the high line.

Also, walk the lower tracks of GCT. There's almost always some interesting rolling stock around 100-105, including a New York Central caboose that's been converted into an office.

My favorite, however, is a New York Central engine parked in Riverfront Park. All the way on the west side, probably lines up w/ 62nd street. Entrances on, 60th and 68th street. It's a lovely park to walk or bike in and you can climb around on the engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back