Crescent schedule change - first time in 50 years!

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

What a huge discovery, effective June 6. The Crescent now arrives New Orleans about 1h 40m later than the past umpteen years, and departs 2h 15m later the next morning out of New Orleans. I noticed Atlanta (where I lived during my "party" years) now gets a better schedule northbound (doesn't leave New Orleans until 9:15am, which means no need to get up to catch that 7:00am train), but on the other hand, no more dinner service out of Atlanta northbound, since it now leaves for Wash/NYC at 11:29pm. : (

west point

Conductor
Changing the schedule does not help things today. #19 southbound left Atlanta on time and now is 3:34 late at Anniston Al. If base prediction is correct ( yea right ) will arrive no earlier than 1:55 Slidell and NOL 1:05 late.

• Wow
Reactions: Cal

Cal

Conductor
Changing the schedule does not help things today. #19 southbound left Atlanta on time and now is 3:34 late at Anniston Al. If base prediction is correct ( yea right ) will arrive no earlier than 1:55 Slidell and NOL 1:05 late.
Due to mechanical issues as well.

Reactions: jis

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant
My worst on #19 was 12 hours down into Hattiesburg (HBG). We were already 5 hours down about 5 miles out of Meridian, where we were held for 7 hours while NS fueled 3 freight locomotive consists of 4 engines each at the Meridian platform. That is more than 30,000 gallons requiring many semi-tankers. Apparently the tankers had to park in the station parking lot and run a hose across the platform to the engines.

Needless to say our conductor was furious, screaming into his radio to the AMTK dispatcher. But the AMTK dispatcher could do nothing because the NS dispatcher(s) wouldn't respond to calls.

zephyr17

Conductor
Probably screaming into his company issued phone. There would not have been any Amtrak dispatchers within radio range, only NS.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal

railiner

Conductor
My worst on #19 was 12 hours down into Hattiesburg (HBG). We were already 5 hours down about 5 miles out of Meridian, where we were held for 7 hours while NS fueled 3 freight locomotive consists of 4 engines each at the Meridian platform. That is more than 30,000 gallons requiring many semi-tankers. Apparently the tankers had to park in the station parking lot and run a hose across the platform to the engines.

Needless to say our conductor was furious, screaming into his radio to the AMTK dispatcher. But the AMTK dispatcher could do nothing because the NS dispatcher(s) wouldn't respond to calls.
Now that may be the worst case I have heard of...
If I was there, I would have recorded it, and tried my best to get media to pick up the story, in an effort to shame NS. But unless the passenger's were incited to riot, the media would probably care less....

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
It is amazing (and sometimes amusing) to see how cavalier the railroad system controllers are about communicating (or not) with trains and with many other minor and major decisions. Can you imagine an air traffic controller simply ignoring the calls from an aircraft in flight for hours and getting away with it? Here is an example of where private companies work really poorly and can get away with it simply because trains can stop essentially on the dime wherever they are, and their failsafe is to stop and wait for the controller to come out of their torpor as they choose and please.