Crescent Truncation Operations question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Conductor
This morning on one of only two mornings each week I commute under ATL when the Crescent's supposed to be in-station, I was excited because Phase I heritage #156 was reported as leading 19 this morning. As I came north on I-75, I caught a glimpse of the red nosed reind locomotive, but the train started moving South as I got closer. I thought that the Crescent used the Armour WYE north of the station to turn around on mornings she's truncated to ATL. Does anyone have any ideas why she'd move South instead of backing to the Armour WYE? Only explanations I can think of is heading to an NS fueling stand in Inman yard, or using the Howell Junction WYE for turning instead of Armour.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning on one of only two mornings each week I commute under ATL when the Crescent's supposed to be in-station, I was excited because Phase I heritage #156 was reported as leading 19 this morning. As I came north on I-75, I caught a glimpse of the red nosed reind locomotive, but the train started moving South as I got closer. I thought that the Crescent used the Armour WYE north of the station to turn around on mornings she's truncated to ATL. Does anyone have any ideas why she'd move South instead of backing to the Armour WYE? Only explanations I can think of is heading to an NS fueling stand in Inman yard, or using the Howell Junction WYE for turning instead of Armour.
I think they do turn at Howell. Maybe easier than a backup move to Armour.

I think they do turn at Howell. Maybe easier than a backup move to Armour.
Yes, they do turn at Howell. I had an opportunity to ride with them several years ago and it was ino Howell then north toward Armour and a back into the former steel mill track to get cleaned, dumped and fueled for the return north. Quite an experience!

Why is the Crescent ever truncated at Atlanta? I thought it was daily to New Orleans.

Thanks, it does sort of make sense not wanting to make a long backup move, but I'd think that using the Armour WYE would preferable to NS and CSX as swinging a train around Howell ties up everyone!

I did swing north on I-85 this afternoon and briefly saw #156. No picture or video I've seen does her justice! :D

Is the remaining belt line track long enough to hold the entire Crescent consist? I'm not sure it is, and in any event I suspect the track conditions are poor. Accessing a derailed train there would be tough. When I lived in Atlanta 30 years ago and crewed on the Southern steam specials, we didn't wye the steam train on the belt line because of fear that the rails would spread under the engine. We always wye'd it at Howell.

Is the remaining belt line track long enough to hold the entire Crescent consist? I'm not sure it is, and in any event I suspect the track conditions are poor. Accessing a derailed train there would be tough. When I lived in Atlanta 30 years ago and crewed on the Southern steam specials, we didn't wye the steam train on the belt line because of fear that the rails would spread under the engine. We always wye'd it at Howell.
I'm sure the tail of the belt line is both too short and not in good condition. I suspect the track curvature at Armour is also tighter than Howell.

I have seen the Crescent sitting on the south track at midday/early afternoon at the ATL station a few times over the past few weeks (already turned around to face north). I always thought they would drag it into a yard for the day in case NS needed both tracks at ATL but apparently not always.

BTW, did anyone see the additional train sitting at the station earlier this week? (Tuesday, maybe). It appeared to be a unique engine, a coach, a diner and two baggage cars on the end. It was facing north on the siding that used to go into Atlantic Steel. I believe the Crescent was still at ATL on one of the main tracks, facing south after recently arriving. It appeared that one of the cars had 40th Anniversary on it (but I didn't see it on all the cars but I was also driving southbound on I-85 during morning rush hour (a little before 9am) so I couldn't stare too long.

I have seen the Crescent sitting on the south track at midday/early afternoon at the ATL station a few times over the past few weeks (already turned around to face north). I always thought they would drag it into a yard for the day in case NS needed both tracks at ATL but apparently not always.

BTW, did anyone see the additional train sitting at the station earlier this week? (Tuesday, maybe). It appeared to be a unique engine, a coach, a diner and two baggage cars on the end. It was facing north on the siding that used to go into Atlantic Steel. I believe the Crescent was still at ATL on one of the main tracks, facing south after recently arriving. It appeared that one of the cars had 40th Anniversary on it (but I didn't see it on all the cars but I was also driving southbound on I-85 during morning rush hour (a little before 9am) so I couldn't stare too long.
That would have been the 40th anniversary train, which did not stop in Atlanta.

That would have been the 40th anniversary train, which did not stop in Atlanta.
I see now, the cars that appear to be baggage cars were actually Display cars. I just looked up the train.

Regardless, it may not have been scheduled to stop for an exhibition BUT it was MOST CERTAINLY stationary on the siding next to the station around 9am on Tuesday. Perhaps it stopped to show the ATL station crew the train or something? I note that the train's last tour stop was Meridan and the next is Jacksonville. Not the most direct way to Jacksonville but perhaps the best way to show off the train!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's video of it going through Norcross on the front of #20. The video description said that it was heading to DC. I just hope that Georgia hasn't been simply forgotten by Amtrak. I know we're not exactly passenger rail friendly, but don't we deserve something?

There's video of it going through Norcross on the front of #20. The video description said that it was heading to DC. I just hope that Georgia hasn't been simply forgotten by Amtrak. I know we're not exactly passenger rail friendly, but don't we deserve something?
Yes, Georgia got dissed by Amtrak. The anniversary train will not have a stop in Atlanta.

The Wye at Armour has been out of service for several years now. The NS refuses to allow anything to use it, so Amtrak has to use the Wye at Howell.

Georgia should not feel left out on seeing the 40th Ann. train, it is not alone. Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia and many more did not get a visit. North Carolina does get a visit and the last one at the North Carolina Transportation Museum.

The Wye at Armour has been out of service for several years now. The NS refuses to allow anything to use it, so Amtrak has to use the Wye at Howell.

Georgia should not feel left out on seeing the 40th Ann. train, it is not alone. Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia and many more did not get a visit. North Carolina does get a visit and the last one at the North Carolina Transportation Museum.
According to the 40th Anniversity train schedule, it stopped in Jacksonville, FL last weekend, then goes to Tampa FL, Richmond VA (Staples Mill), Raleigh NC, Spenser NC (Mar 17-18). So Virginia will get a visit. The problem with Atlanta, Savannah or stops in SC may have been a lack of viable site to place it. Wonder why it did not go to Miami or, more specifically Hileah? Doesn't Amtrak have room there for it?

According to the 40th Anniversity train schedule, it stopped in Jacksonville, FL last weekend, then goes to Tampa FL, Richmond VA (Staples Mill), Raleigh NC, Spenser NC (Mar 17-18). So Virginia will get a visit. The problem with Atlanta, Savannah or stops in SC may have been a lack of viable site to place it. Wonder why it did not go to Miami or, more specifically Hileah? Doesn't Amtrak have room there for it?
The Southeastern Railway Museum is 20 miles north of Atlanta on the NS main line with easy automobile access from Interstate 85. In the past it has accommodated the Disney train and whatever that traveling train of artwork was. There should have been no problem with a location, although that's not an Amtrak station.

It also visited Lorton, VA on the front end of the tour.

According to the 40th Anniversity train schedule, it stopped in Jacksonville, FL last weekend, ..
Spotted at JAX on 2/11.

anivEng.jpg

anivBag.jpg

The Southeastern Railway Museum is 20 miles north of Atlanta on the NS main line with easy automobile access from Interstate 85. In the past it has accommodated the Disney train and whatever that traveling train of artwork was. There should have been no problem with a location, although that's not an Amtrak station.
Ah! I still remember when NS closed their dual-tracked main line on a weekend day and at no cost moved 90 pieces of rolling stock in separate consists from the old site on one side of the tracks to the new site about a mile away on the other. Awesome seeing the old Pullmans and steam engines being pulled by NS diesels. No brakes or non-working ones on much of the equipment.

I encourage people to visit the museum. It is run and managed by volunteers. You can actually walk through (not just peer into) historic cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back