crew change points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

access bob

Lead Service Attendant
couple few years back Trains Magazine (I think) had a map and list of all of the Amtrak crew change points. does anyone know where to find a copy or know all the crew change points on Amtrak??

Thanks

Bob

It's not 100%, but if the schedule shows a separate Ar and Dp time of 15-20 minutes between them, most likely that is a crew change point.

I guessed as much but I can't imagine a single engineer runs the Coast starlight from Portland to Emeryville withouta crew change

Bob

I know the Texas Eagle changes engine and conductor crew in MHL with ZERO station time allotted.
I remember watching the Cardinal crew swap out in Huntington with no time showing on the schedule. And while ago I was on the Pennsylvanian that swapped out somewhere in IN that wasn't a station stop.

And while ago I was on the Pennsylvanian that swapped out somewhere in IN that wasn't a station stop.
That must have been something, because AFAIK, the Pennsylvanian only went to PGH. The Three Rivers and Broadway Limited went to IN!
No for a number of years during the Warrington/Express Trak era, the Pennsy did run all the way to Chicago. West of Pittsburgh it followed the route of the Capitol Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
And while ago I was on the Pennsylvanian that swapped out somewhere in IN that wasn't a station stop.
That must have been something, because AFAIK, the Pennsylvanian only went to PGH. The Three Rivers and Broadway Limited went to IN!
Now that you mention Im not sure what train it was. It was back in 2001, went from PHL to CHI, after PGH it ran over CSX.

If the train changed crews in the middle of no where the train must have been late.

Klamath Falls is a crew change point.

I think if you call Trains magazine they can send you a back issue of it.

I know in the NEC the crew change points are RVR,WAS, and NYP.

I think if you call Trains magazine they can send you a back issue of it.

you have to know which issue, and the index doesn't show it or I can't find the right words to get the search engine to spit it out

Bob

If the train changed crews in the middle of no where the train must have been late.
It wasn't in the middle of nowhere, there was a parking lot there. It just wasn't a station stop.
I remember once a few years ago, I was on the LSL that had a loco die on us. So we limped into a freight yard west of Erie about 5 AM. Due to the hours of service limits, the crew died. So we sat ... and sat ... and sat ... and ... until they brought in a new crew!

I could have had breakfast AND lunch IN THE SAME PLACE! :eek: (The LSL ended up being 9 hours late by the time it got to BOS!)

I know the Capital Limited's Crew Changes, they are at Toledo, Ohio, and Pittsburgh, PA. I'd assume the Lake Shore conducts Crew Changes at Toledo, Ohio, Buffalo, NY and Albany, NY? Correct me if I am wrong about the LSL as the last time i took it i was only 6 months old. As for the Michigan Services... The Pere Marquette should be able to make it on one crew but if they have to switch it usually comes at Hammond/Whiting, IN. The Blue Water and Wolverines switch engineers at Battle Creek, MI, but the conductors continue to the terminus, the engineer will sit in Battle Creek and wait for the next trip back to where they terminated (Chicago, Pontiac, and Port Huron).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep engineers change in Pittsburgh. I talked to the one who got off in Pitt for a few minutes last night when we got in. He did a great job on the capitol limited getting us into pgh only 3 minutes late

IF I had Amtrak engine seniority I would bid on San Antonio to Austin on #22 and return that night on #21 or Meridian to NOL with Saturdays off. It's a six day job but when you come in from New Orleans, after only running 4 hours and staying overnight, you are off from 11 a.m. Friday until 3 p.m. Sunday. There's another cush job from Charlottsville, Va to DC and return that night. I'm sure there are other jobs just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back