Crew Change / Sunset Limited-Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit curious on how crew changes (conductors and engineers) work on trains that only run 3 times a week such as the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited.

Using Maricopa as an example, here's what I know:

- The engineers and conductors are swapped out at Maricopa.

- There is a van waiting at Maricopa to take the exiting crew away (and presumably had delivered the new crew).

What I'm curious is: What happens next?

- Do the crews just go to a hotel and wait a couple days for the next scheduled train?

- Are any of the crews Phoenix based?

- Do they generally go back to their point of origin, or continue down the line? (For example, does a crew from Los Angeles return to Los Angeles on the next train, or do they continue on the next train to Dallas? Or do they catch a van to Flagstaff to work a Southwest Chief train?)

- During the down day in Los Angeles (assuming they are based there), do they then work other trains from there, or are they just off?

I appreciate your insights.

I'm a bit curious on how crew changes (conductors and engineers) work on trains that only run 3 times a week such as the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited.

Using Maricopa as an example, here's what I know:

- The engineers and conductors are swapped out at Maricopa.

- There is a van waiting at Maricopa to take the exiting crew away (and presumably had delivered the new crew).

What I'm curious is: What happens next?

- Do the crews just go to a hotel and wait a couple days for the next scheduled train?
That's generally how it works.

- Are any of the crews Phoenix based?
Amtrak doesn't serve Phoenix, so no crews would be based there. As far as being based in Maricopa vs. some the other end of their route, that I'm not sure off the top of my head. However, if there is a crew van waiting, that generally means that it's their away terminal and the van is taking them to the hotel.

- Do they generally go back to their point of origin, or continue down the line? (For example, does a crew from Los Angeles return to Los Angeles on the next train, or do they continue on the next train to Dallas? Or do they catch a van to Flagstaff to work a Southwest Chief train?)
They will return to their point of origin. For one, the conductors and engineers will only be qualified on a certain territory, and when they get to a crew change point, they are generally not qualified beyond that point (though some crews are). Second, Amtrak has to pay them for being away from their home base, and having them gone for several days at a time will get very expensive.

- During the down day in Los Angeles (assuming they are based there), do they then work other trains from there, or are they just off?
It depends on their qualifications, and the specifications of their job. LA-based crews could also work to San Diego, Kingman, AZ, or San Luis Obispo. Some engineers and conductors can be qualified on more than one route, and it's possible that a specific job has them going on different segments from LA.

Yes this is true, at least about LA

One of my favorite Pacific Surfliner conductors, Ryan, works out to Kingman and back about once a week. He lives in Anaheim and is LA-based

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back