cross country from NYC to SanDiego

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retired teacher

Train Attendant
Anyone taking the train cross country from New York to SanDiego? I am, going to catch the cruise ship Mercury to the Panam Canal 10/1. Looking for any info about this type of trip.

Thanks so much
smile.gif

If you are taking the Lake Shore Limited or the Cardinal between NY and Chicago, these trains are single level trains. If you are taking a Regional to Washington, this is also a single level train. The Capitol Limited between Washington and Chicago is a Superliner (bi-level) train. The Southwest Chief between Chicago and LA is also a Superliner. The Surfliner between LA and San Diego is also bi-level, but different from the Superliner.

Anyone taking the train cross country from New York to SanDiego? I am, going to catch the cruise ship Mercury to the Panam Canal 10/1. Looking for any info about this type of trip.

Thanks so much
smile.gif
Please read all the trip reports on this site, check the first time rider tips and let us know your itenerary, that way we can provide advice to your specific trip and also answer any questions you might have! Sounds like a great trip, can I go? :lol:

Hi,

I am travelling to San Diego in December for an Hawaii cruise - Toledo, Ohio, Chicago, LAX and on to San Diego.

My cruise begins and ends in San Diego.

My return trip Ohio - San Diego, Seattle, Chicago. My entire trip was booked with sleepers.

I'm looking for a good hotel, not too expensive, in San Diego - something close to cruise line docks or near Amtrak. Have any suggestions? I will have two days in Diego for sightseeing.

I noted that San Diego has a Santa Fe Train Station not too far from the Amtrak Station. Is the Santa Fe station an active station? Actually, I noted this station when I was in Diego on another cruise. I elected to visit the MIDWAY.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions and contribute excellent information for single travellers. I look forward to reading the FORUM every day.

Hi,

I noted that San Diego has a Santa Fe Train Station not too far from the Amtrak Station. Is the Santa Fe station an active station? Actually, I noted this station when I was in Diego on another cruise.
The Santa Fe station is the Amtrak station. The Los Angeles to San Diego train use what was the Santa Fe line.

I noted that San Diego has a Santa Fe Train Station not too far from the Amtrak Station. Is the Santa Fe station an active station? Actually, I noted this station when I was in Diego on another cruise.
The Santa Fe Train Station IS the Amtrak Train Station!
rolleyes.gif
And as you know, it is within sight of the cruise ship docks.

If you are taking the Lake Shore Limited or the Cardinal between NY and Chicago, these trains are single level trains. If you are taking a Regional to Washington, this is also a single level train. The Capitol Limited between Washington and Chicago is a Superliner (bi-level) train. The Southwest Chief between Chicago and LA is also a Superliner. The Surfliner between LA and San Diego is also bi-level, but different from the Superliner.
\

We are taking the Lakeshore Unlimited to Chicago from NYC, The Southwest Chief to LAX and the Pacific Surfrider to SanDiego

Thnaks for the quick reply!
smile.gif

Thanks so much
smile.gif
Please read all the trip reports on this site, check the first time rider tips and let us know your itenerary, that way we can provide advice to your specific trip and also answer any questions you might have! Sounds like a great trip, can I go?
laugh.gif
Leaving NYC to Chicagoi on the Lakeshore Limited, Chicago to LAX on the Southwest Chief and the Pacific Surfrider to SanDiego to get the Cruise ship the next day! Thank you

Hi,

I am travelling to San Diego in December for an Hawaii cruise - Toledo, Ohio, Chicago, LAX and on to San Diego.

My return trip Ohio - San Diego, Seattle, Chicago. My entire trip was booked with sleepers.

I'm looking for a good hotel, not too expensive, in San Diego - something close to cruise line docks or near Amtrak. Have any suggestions? I will have two days in Diego for sightseeing.

I noted that San Diego has a Santa Fe Train Station not too far from the Amtrak Station. Is the Santa Fe station an active station? Actually, I noted this station when I was in Diego on another cruise. I elected to visit the MIDWAY.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions and contribute excellent information for single travellers. I look forward to reading the FORUM every day.

We booked the Best Western Bayside Inn in SanDiego. Paid $141 total AAA rate. Free transportaion to Amtrack and terminal and free breakfast. Only a few blocks from the station and pier. I think it is 555 west Ash St

Hi,

We booked the Best Western Bayside Inn in SanDiego. Paid $141 total AAA rate. Free transportaion to Amtrack and terminal and free breakfast. Only a few blocks from the station and pier. I think it is 555 west Ash St
Wife and I have stayed at the Bayside Inn a couple of times on our San Diego trips. It is a nice place with fantastic view of the city if you get a higher floor and a east side room. Some of the westside rooms have a view but other buildings sometimes block the view of the bay. The breakfast is o.k. and free in the small restaurant next door. They will give you tickets at the desk for breakfast

Make sure you reserve the shuttle the night before. They usually did not transport before 8am.

We actually walk down to the depot from the hotel and have had no problems.

Have a great trip! :)

Thanks so much
smile.gif
If you're only staying one night in San Diego, as a SD native I'd suggest either the Holiday Inn On The Bay or The Westin San Diego. Both are about two blocks from Amtrak/Santa Fe Depot and easily walked. (Both will meet you with shuttles as well if you have a lot of luggage.)The Holiday Inn is also directly across from the Cruise Terminal and Anthony's, San Diego's oldest seafood restaurant. You're within walking distance of the Midway Air Carrier Museum, the historic Gaslamp District, the entire waterfront promenade from the 19th-century iron sailing ship Star of India to Seaport Village, and a variety of downtown restaurants and shopping. You're a short bus ride--no. 7--from Balboa Park with its museums, gardens and the zoo. There's more than you could ever do in a day!

The Bayside Inn is relatively close to the station but quite a hike to most of the embarcadero and the rest of downtown, as Ash street is on the periphery of the central city.

If you can get an AAA rate at the Holiday within $10 of what you have at the Bayside, I'd switch. Don't know if the Westin has rates that fall into your range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back