CS to CS to CZ Is it doable ??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVYBLUE

Lead Service Attendant
OK. Gong from RNO-CHI-WAS for Christmas. Last year was SWC(LAUS)-CARD-CL-SWC(LAUS). Returning, want to experience a new LD route if possible. Already have the WAS-CHI-PDX-SAC-RNO figured out. Have to return to RNO where I am leaving my truck.

OK, here is the schedule to get to RNO AFTER I get to LAX. Understanding I want all train and no van/bus.

14 Coast Starlight (SLM)

Depart:

10:25 am, Mon, Jan 7, 2013

Arrive:

2:03 pm, Tue, Jan 8, 2013

Duration:

27 hr, 38 min

11 Coast Starlight (SAC)

Depart:

3:37 pm, Tue, Jan 8, 2013

Arrive:

6:15 am, Wed, Jan 9, 2013

Duration:

14 hr, 38 min

6 California Zephyr (RNO)

Depart:

11:09 am, Wed, Jan 9, 2013

Arrive:

4:06 pm, Wed, Jan 9, 2013

Duration:

4 hr, 57 min

I don't like the idea of backtracking, but if I want to do the TE to get to RNO, this appears as my only option if I don't go CL-CZ or CL-EB-CS-CZ. My concern is the short turnaround at the bolded arrive/depart at SLM.

I figure the great minds at AU will tell me if I am out in left field on this one.

Thanks

NAVYBLUE

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the idea of booking just to ABY. The CS can be late at times, and I'd rather wait for a train than hope to make the connection. And ABY is not a bad place to wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or to be really, really, really safe, book to Eugene Oregon and have about a four-hour plus layover. Also, Eugene is a beautiful town and you could have a nice leisurely afternoon walking around, especially around the University of Oregon campus, and having a bite to eat. Lots of places in the downtown area.

Albany just doesn't have much going for it. The station is OK but for choosing a four-hour plus layover as opposed to two and a half hours, you would enjoy yourself much more.

The northbound (14) is late more often than the southbound (11) It might be risky to go even as far as Albany.

Three chioces I would consider would be - Just go as far as Klamath Falls and rent a car and go to see Crater Lake. The south entrance off Rt. 62 is open all year long. Yes there is snow there.

Choice 2 - Take the train to Chemult and take the shuttle bus to Bend Oregon and spend about 6 hours in Bend which is a very nice city that I spent a couple of hours in today. You have to be back to the shuttle bus at 5:45PM to catch the southbound CS in Chemult at 8:08PM.

Choice 3 - Ride over the Cascade Summit (past Odell Lake) to Eugene. The University of Oregon campus is only 5 blocks away from the station in Eugene. The Ducks are playing against Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl.

I remember being into SAC about half an hour early (5:45AM) on at least one occasion.

For a fee you can store your bags in Sacramento or check them onward to Reno. The only early morning breakfast place in Sacramento is a 24 hour Denny's just east of Old Town Sacramento. It is also worth it to take a half hour walk to see the CA Capitol and the nice grounds but not if you are dragging bags along with you

I remember being into SAC about half an hour early (5:45AM) on at least one occasion.

For a fee you can store your bags in Sacramento or check them onward to Reno. The only early morning breakfast place in Sacramento is a 24 hour Denny's just east of Old Town Sacramento. It is also worth it to take a half hour walk to see the CA Capitol and the nice grounds but not if you are dragging bags along with you
The 24 hour Denny's is no more. It is now a Perko's that is open 5:30 AM to 11 PM.

The 24 hour Denny's is no more. It is now a Perko's that is open 5:30 AM to 11 PM.
Hope the new one is cleaner then that Denny''s was!! We once went in there at 6 a.m. for an early breakfast before catching a Capitol Corridor and it was disgusting! Tables hadn't been cleared all night and homeless who reeked were camped out at several tables. As Denny's almost never closes down a location, I suspect that a litany of really bad complaints must have done this one in. Good bye and good riddance!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the worst Denny's I've ever been in. I do remember going in there when I had to wait for a table.

There were a couple times when it was better and more than half the tables were in use by paying customers.

As long as there is a passable restaurant open when the CS gets in I don't care what the name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back