cs to pdx and eb to mke

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkeroad

Train Attendant
yesterday the cs was over 5 hrs late to pdx which would have missed the connection of the eb to mke by 3 hrs.

I will need to make that connection to be under my 15 days for my railpass. What might be the scenario in this instance?

From what I understand if it looks like the connection is going to miss, those pax are put on "Interceptor Buses" somewhere in Oregon and launched to meet the Portland section at or before Spokane.

The Portland area has gotten three consecutive snowstorms over the last few days, which has apparently closed down most of the city. It has also delayed or cancelled Cascades trains, freights, and 27/28 due to frozen switches.

14 arrived PDX 5:15 late, at 8:00pm and 28 left PDX 3:34 late, at 8:19pm, so connecting passengers might have made it.

I was on a northbound CS that was going to miss the connection. They set up a bus bridge between Albany, OR and PDX for the connecting passengers. (It is only a few hours on I-5, and actually faster to drive then to take the train.)

If the connection is missed, because it is a guaranteed, Amtrak will put you up at at a hotel (with meals and transportation) at their expense and then send you on the next train out.

Thanks, I've been watching the CS and it's generally close to on time and even early occasionally. If I did miss the connection and it took me into the 16th day of my pass I wouldn't be penalized?

I really would like to see the Columbia gorge, but, I know there is limited daylight in mid March. I would just have to do this again.

I was unaware of the snow out there! What a tough winter

Under normal circumstances you have plenty of time to explore the Portland Station and take advantage of the small but very nice Metropolitan Lounge inside. There is a newsstand/snack shop inside that even sells some railroad theme T-shirts., although they are a bit pricey and marketed more the classic impulse buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back