CSX Computer Down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I've just been informed that CSX Computers nationwide are shut down. What does that mean, everything is stopped where it is, no train is moving on the CSX system. Aprroximate locations of equipment:

P05215-Yukon, FL

P09114-Benson Jct, FL

P09215-Benson Jct, FL

P09714-Deland, FL

P09815-Ogeechee, GA

All trains are stopped, dispatchers are calling all trains for location check. The computer went down at approx. 17:45 EDT, with most trains coming to a stop at about 18:00 EDT when lined signals ran out for that train. No train will move until the computer system is back up. This does effect all trains on CSX territory from Miami to Chicago and everywhere in between on the 22,000 mile CSX system. I'll update once I recieve more info.

Once again, its a CSX computer problem, hopefully in the future they'll do more to prevent this from occuring. With CSX though, I doubt it'll happen.

Computers are back up, everything's rollin again. Big ouch on the delays! :blink: Looks like there'll be some outlawin tonight!

battalion51 said:
I've just been informed that CSX Computers nationwide are shut down. What does that mean, everything is stopped where it is, no train is moving on the CSX system. Aprroximate locations of equipment:p05215-Yukon, FL

P09114-Benson Jct, FL

P09215-Benson Jct, FL

P09714-Deland, FL

P09815-Ogeechee, GA

All trains are stopped, dispatchers are calling all trains for location check. The computer went down at approx. 17:45 EDT, with most trains coming to a stop at about 18:00 EDT when lined signals ran out for that train. No train will move until the computer system is back up. This does effect all trains on CSX territory from Miami to Chicago and everywhere in between on the 22,000 mile CSX system. I'll update once I recieve more info.
Bat dose our state (FL) have penalties for trains that block road crossings for more then 10 minutes.

engine999 said:
Bat dose our state (FL) have penalties for trains that block road crossings for more then 10 minutes.
Huh? I think that operating crews and the distpatchers would be smart enough to move trains off railroad crossings so they are not blocking traffic.

I meant in general, most crews today obviously would not have been effected by the breakdown immediatley(dead on the road).

It's mostly only local cities that have restrictions on blocked crossings. However, if you look in the Employee Timetable they do say in emergency contact the dispatcher to let them know about the blocked crossing. However, in a situation like this the crews knew what was going on, the signals didn't just go dark, they slowly dropped to stop signals system wide, so they had at least one or two signals worth of warning before they had to stop.

Of course we all realize that if it was UP's computers that went down everything would have been on time or early.

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't start issuing Form D's to try to keep things moving. Granted the D blocks are really big down here, but at least things could stay rolling.

I don't think the dispatchers would want to hassle :lol: , considering comouter problems can usually be sorted out within a few hours.

battalion51 said:
I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't start issuing Form D's to try to keep things moving. Granted the D blocks are really big down here, but at least things could stay rolling.
They probably didn't need to use D's since the outage wasn't that long, less than 1/2 an hour.

1/2 hour? More like 2 1/2 hours. Most trains stopped at 6:00, and didn't get back up and riding until 8:30. That to me seems like an awfully long time to have your whole system shut down.

While I'll admit that MARC isn't in control of CSX or it's computers, they are nonetheless dependent on them. Below are the emailed advisories from MARC, regarding the outages. Note that only 25 minutes elapsed between the fist and the second one.

I suppose that it is possible that CSX also brought back certain areas first, after fixing the initial problem.

sent @ 5:25 p.m. --

Dear Brunswick and Camden Line Riders:
CSX is experiencing computer problems with its signal system. As a result MARC Trains are currently unable to get a signal to proceed or are proceeding at a restricted speed of 15 MPH. CSX is actively working to rectify the problem and hopes to to resolve the issue very soon. However, until the problem can be fixed anticipate Camden and Brunswick Line trains to take delays.

Sincerely

MARC Train Service

Sent @ 5:50 pm

Dear Brunswick and Camden Line Riders:
CSX reports that the computer problem has been fixed and the signal system operational again. Trains have experienced delays of between 15 to 30 minutes. At this time we do not anticipate any further delays.

Sincerely

MARC Train Service

CSX proabably felt by the time all form D's were issued the system would be back on line. As I recall this is not the first recent glitch they have had in JAX. They had the blaster worm a few months ago. Maybe they don't like to do windows updates. :lol:

engine999 said:
CSX proabably felt by the time all form D's were issued the system would be back on line. As I recall this is not the first recent glitch they have had in JAX. They had the blaster worm a few months ago. Maybe they don't like to do windows updates. :lol:
Or get a Linux! :lol:

Actually the dispatcher was probably doing his taxes on the computer and the dispatching program probably did not like to be minimized. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back