CSX/Hedge Fund Brouhaha

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On this one I could almost agree with Dobbs. While the "national security" angle seems a little overblown, particularly coming from soneone on CNN, as I regard that bunch in general as not having a clue in that area, the concern for takeover by an outfit who seems to be of the take the money and run mentality should be very real. Plus the name of the outfit "children's investment fund" is off putting. Its pretentiousness just screams, "we are sleaze."

Plus the name of the outfit "children's investment fund" is off putting. Its pretentiousness just screams, "we are sleaze."
Thank you. I thought I was alone in thinking that.

And even the capitalization of their name is strange and pretentious--they call themselves "TCI" (missing the F), which stands for "The Children's Investment Fund" (with a capital The). Even that rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anybody actually view the segment? First there was a rerun of last Thursday's report by Kitty Pilgrim (with some nice CSX video footage). Then a Dobbs diatribe, again overblowing the national security angle. Then he got around to excoriating the NY Times reporter who criticized the Dobbs demagogic circus. Abusive as usual, and thoroughly intolerant of even mildly different views, Dobbs demeaned the whole issue of CSX/TCI - which I think is legitimate and important, no matter one's opinion - by twisting the subject into a jingoistic froth about wearing an American flag lapel pin. Deplorable.

The New York Times is almost always accurate. Skimmy, and written unknowledgably sometimes, but accurate.
The NYT appears to be one of those things that people either swear by or swear at. No notiicble number in the middle ground. You have a right ot your viewpoint, and it may even be correct when it comes to events that occur within 50 miles of Manhattan Island. Otherwise, I tend to regard it as a fairly fact free source of near propoganda on most issues. There is little I have seen on the occasions when I do look at something in it that would make me see any need to change an opinion I have held since first becoming acquainted with it as a teen in the late 1950's.

It doesn't seem that way to me, especially in comparison to several heaps of cellulose-based garbage that have the gall to represent themselves as local newspapers as put out by Gannett. But... I don't think we'll reach a common ground on this one. :p

Latest posts

Back