Current snow cover in Colorado?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
We are getting on the California Zephyr this Saturday in Chicago to arrive in SF on Monday. I was looking at the forecast, and no new snow is in the forecast. Well, not more than a half inch or so (if that) over the next 48 hours.

There is a good chance of "snow showers" in the Rockies on Sunday - the day we would go from DEN to Utah. So that could be nice...

Is there much snow along the Colorado portion of the Amtrak route from Moffat Tunnel to Grand Junction?

We have taken this route once before, and even though it was December - there was not too much snow except at the usual places just west of Moffat.

However - we have never been on the SW Chief, and I just checked - they do have upper level Roomettes available, as well as on the Coast Starlight. So, since we have been on the CZ westbound in winter once before, we were thinking of quickly switching over to the SW Chief and take a brand new route to the West Coast. Southwest Chief to connect to the Coast Starlight in LA to arrive in San Jose. Our flight back is already booked for Tuesday at around 11 AM from SFO. So either route would work.

But I was kind of looking forward to a winter trip through the Rockies with lots of snow. But a final day along the California Coast from LA to San Jose would be a thrill. I have never done that route - but my son, who is joining me on this trip has done that once. He loved it and would like to do it again. Especially with the Pacific Parlor Car.

Anyone have some insight on the current route through Colorado - and the amount of snow cover on the ground along that route?

We both feel that taking the Chief seems a bit more interesting, because it is a new route for us. You know - a new adventure, with new scenery, and a different route west. And keep in mind, it may not be along the current route too much loner. maybe a few years...

I was on the California Zephyr through Colorado this past Saturday (Feb 2). At that time there was pretty decent snow coverage up around the Moffit Tunnel/Winter Park area and lot's of ice on the river through the canyons just west of there.

There was even some lingering snow on the ground in Glenwood Springs but not much through the Glenwood Canyon.

The desert in Eastern Utah had a pretty solid snow cover as did the Donner Pass area.

Should be a pretty good trip - have fun.

When I was on the chief last April there was snow in upper part of raton pass.

Thanks!

Just looked and they are forecasting some snowfall for Denver on Sunday (not too much), so I might wait a day or so to decide. For now, we are still on the CZ. But I was hopeful for a few fresh reports from recent riders.

Thanks,

Mike

Since youve been on the CZ in Winter I say go with the SWC and the Starlight up the Coast! You will see Snow on the Chief Route and Rotan Pass may not be an Amtrak Route much Longer! Nice Trip! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim.

I agree with you - And also I like the look and feel of that route. The old Santa Fe Trail and the Grand Southwest. Plus the Santa Fe Railroad heritage and the classic semaphores along the route.

So you think we will see some snow on the mountains, perhaps between Trinidad and Lamy in the Raton area?

Last edited by a moderator:
For certain youll see Snow on All the Mountains in New Mexico and Arizona, and depending on the Temperature and Sun, most Probably across the Praries and Desert too! Ive never seen the California part of the SWC Route in Daylight, its always been Dark when we rolled through, perhaps a Local knows?? Id say the chances are Excellent that from Eastern Colorado to @ Least Flagstaff you will see Plenty of Snow! ;)

BTW - I do know that Flagstaff has about the highest annual snowfall of any city in the US. It's just that we hit there around 10 PM or so.

But it has a very high elevation there.

BTW - I do know that Flagstaff has about the highest annual snowfall of any city in the US. It's just that we hit there around 10 PM or so.
But it has a very high elevation there.
Flagstaff is about #5 for the snowiest cities in the US...Syracuse and a couple of other NY cities get a bit more. I think Flag gets about 85" anually on the average. Congrats on using "elevation" instead of "altitude". One of my pet peeves. I think the elevation is around 6900 feet. I used to drive a semi and constantly got snowbound between Williams and Flag on I-40.

Colorado Highway dept has a map showing all of their webcams at http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

Cameras along i-70 from Grand Junction east to Wolcott are close to paralleling the CZ route and will give you a real-time image of what snow conditions trackside are probably like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back