Current state of Sacramento station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I know the Sacramento station has been under construction for a couple of years now - is it still pretty torn up?

In the past it looks like it had a separate small waiting area for sleeping car passengers - is this still in existence?

Is the building air conditioned? I assume not, but it's going to be 104 degrees when we're there in a few weeks, and it would be nice to get out of the heat. We're probably also going to be in Davis for a few hours (5/14 layover), so any info on the Davis station (HVAC, waiting spaces, etc.) would also be appreciated!

I was just at Sacramento this week. It is still torn up. There is a small cubby hole for sleeper passengers, small being the operative word. I didn't pay attention to whether it was air conditioned or not, but then it was unseasonably chilly when I was there....low 70's. The station is in better shape than it was when I was there in 2013 but has a ways to go yet.

You'll love the Davis Station. This small jewel is an old SP California Style Classic with a great bakery right across the street, and the pretty downtown close by. It is Air conditioned

The old wooden benches aren't that comfortable ( none of them actually were! ) but the friendly agent will let you store your luggage while you explore outside.

Lots of Cap Corridor trains to watch as they come and go, including boarding and detraining students going to/from SAC and the Bay Area with their bikes since Davis and Amtrak are bike friendly in this pretty College town!

When I was there in October, it was very hot in the sleeper's cubby hole and the agent would not turn on the fan. She said she thought it would somehow interfere with the construction that was being done in the ceiling. At around 6 p.m. the fan was turned on and it did help a little, but it was really hot in there.

Thanks for the info. Davis sounds like a much more pleasant place to be. We had planned on walking around Old Town, etc. during our layover, but if it's going to be 104 degrees out, that might not work. I know the southwest is supposed to have a "dry heat", but that's ridiculous.

How do you know for certain it's going to be 104 in Sac on a particular day a few weeks out? Wish I could predict the weather that well.

It'll be hot plan for mid 90's (average in July and August is roughly 92) but at least the walkways in Old Sac are shaded from the sun, some now have misters and the railroad museum is always air conditioned. :)

How do you know for certain it's going to be 104 in Sac on a particular day a few weeks out? Wish I could predict the weather that well.

It'll be hot plan for mid 90's (average in July and August is roughly 92) but at least the walkways in Old Sac are shaded from the sun, some now have misters and the railroad museum is always air conditioned. :)

Good to know about the misters and the AC in the railroad museum, as we have considered doing that too. As for the forecast - we're actually a little less than two weeks away (our trip has many moving parts and some dates keep sneaking up on me). Sacramento's highs are predicted to be over 100 for the next week and a half, so I'm not optimistic that it will be anything less than "miserably hot."

In October it was hot out in Sacramento, but the AC in the Railroad Museum was comfortable. As to Old Town, there was shade on one side of the street, but the other had full sun. I believe it was in the mid 80's, but to me that is too hot. The shady side of the street had tourists, but the sunny side was empty.

To get to the Old Town area, go out the back door of the station and around the parking lot. It's right there. It starts with the railroad museum and the Old Town area is across the street from the museum.

The CA arrived at SAC at about 2 p.m. and I was there until the northbound CS arrived around midnight. There was a restaurant, not sure of the name, that was across the street and at the other end of a block-long parking lot. Or take the sidewalk around the parking lot and go in the other side. Jim (BobDylan) can tell you more about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back