Current Texas Eagle equipment consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

OBS Chief
I'm getting ready to take the Eagle from Fort Worth to St. Louis on a Thursday later this month, and had two questions, wondering if anyone can help -

1. What's the current train setup - I found a thread from 2009 that indicated there was a transdorm, sleeper, diner, lounge, and three coaches. Is that still the same now? Does the equipment vary depending on the connection with the Sunset Ltd on select days? Also, (knew this was coming, didn't you...) are the sleepers running at the front or back of the train?

2. Does this train run with a real diner, or the always lovely Cross Country Café car?

3. On a side note, how has the loading been on this train recently? I went out to Amtrak.com last night and was surprised that there were still sleepers available in all three types (family, economy, and bedrooms). Maybe I've spent too much time riding the CZ and SWC but past experience has been that sleeper availability plummets when you're a month or less out.

Thanks!

Mike: Glad you're riding my home train.

As lawyers like to say, the consist depends, it's Amtrak!

The Regular #21/#22 consists (non Sunset Days) usually have one P-42,Transdorm,Sleeper,CCC (Diner),Sightseer Lounge and 2-3 Coaches.

Sometimes a second CCC is substituted for the Sightseer Lounge (sucks)and occasionly a Real Diner will be in the consist.

On Sunset Ltd days,#421/#422, the Cutout Sleeper and Coach are switched in San Antonio.Usually, but not always,from CHI-SAS the Sleeper is on the front and the LA Coach (#421)is on the rear.They will then be switched to the rear of #1 when it arrives in SAS from NOL.

When #422 arrives into SAS from LA, the cutout Sleeper and Coach are on the rear of#2 and usually are switched to the rear of #22, but sometimes the Sleeper is placed up front. It depends on the day and the passenger loads and the Switching crew.

As for the passenger load and fares, there are busy days and slow days depending on the time of year and whether or not its a #421/#422 day. Supply and demand!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that in the non-summer months, the switching crew in San Antonio puts the Sleeper between the Trans Sleeper and the Diner, the through coach on the rear. But, for some reason more times than not, the coach is added to the rear, then the Sleeper. It seems that in Chicago they leave the consist the way it arrived unless they have to replace a car. Generally, you can get a roomette on the non-SL days during the off season. I have been able to get a roomette the day before, less than 24 hours before departure, during the slow season. Now I am traveling in June and July on the TE, both RT are on non-SL days, with weeks to go there are generally just a room or two available on each of the trains. So during the busy season, it is best to reserve early.

Thanks for the fast info, guys! Last night I was just meddling around and noticed that I could get a family bedroom, bedroom, or economy sleeper all on the same day as I was traveling, but the cost was a whole lot more than what I paid when I reserved two months ago. Gotta love low bucket fares. Wish Amtrak had something like the airlines do where at the last minute you could pay a little extra to upgrade from a economy sleeper to a bedroom, but the fares out there would be a extra cost of around $400 for my overnight trip. Looking forward to seeing some new territory, will update once I get back what I saw with the car sorting. I'm traveling on a non-SL day so hopefully the sleeper will be up front. My last trip about a year ago, I seem to recall being at or near the end of the train.

Enjoy your trip. You will get to see Texas and some of Missouri. Every time I travel this route I see something different. Also, I try to eat dinner with the sun setting and breakfast as the sun rises, since you can really enjoy the meal with it beautiful outside.

Back