Customs check in Montreal station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real value of the Passport Card is for those who essentially commute across the US/Canada border. There are people who literally make hundreds of crossings a year - who live in the US, and work in Canada or have sales routes in Canada or where the nearest supermarket is in Canada . For those in that kind of situation, carrying and showing a card is much easier than carrying a conventional passport every time they have to cross the border.

In states offering enhanced drivers licenses, the Passport Card is not that necessary. However, in border states that do not offer an enhanced drivers license, the Passport Card is likely pretty convenient.
If I were traveling across the border that often on business, I'd consider getting a NEXUS card and then writing off the expense on my taxes or for my employer. However, I understand that a lot of people use a passport card for frequent travel since it's cheaper.

AFAICT the Global Entry Card is usable at the NEXUS processing equipped facilities at the land border checkposts. So they are also not particularly useful on Amtrak border crossings as far as I can tell. But as I said, whenever I go abroad I have my Passport book, no matter how I go.

<snip>

I agree about the experience of getting Global Entry. The card just sits in my wallet in its protective cover just in case I need it somewhere. The only place I have ever used it is at TSA-Pre checkposts.
I also carry my Passport Book whenever crossing any border. What was the usefullness of the Global Entry Card at TSA Pre checkpoint? That I have TSA Pre has so far been on my boarding passes when I entered it when booking a flight. I have only used the card to remember my number.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used the Global Entry card as my government issued Id at the Pre-check, since I had by mistake packed my Driver's License somehow in my checked baggage. :(
Aha. Makes sense now. In my case with my travel patterns it would be more likely I would misplace the Global Card than my drivers license since I often need the drivers license to drive to the airport.

You can also use the card for cruises to Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Living in Ohio, we run up to the Falls or Toronto every couple years. We might get the cards when we have to renew the passports. Would be easier to use,

Living in Ohio, we run up to the Falls or Toronto every couple years. We might get the cards when we have to renew the passports. Would be easier to use,
Yes, but if you have an emergency and have to return early you can't fly back on the card. A passport book is the best option on those cruises.

Yes, but if you have an emergency and have to return early you can't fly back on the card. A passport book is the best option on those cruises.
Sure. However, one is allowed to have both. I keep my passport card with me at all times as an ID and proof of citizenship. It's super cheap too. I find passport books kind of bulky. A passport card is also useful to get into an embassy or consulate if a passport book is lost.

Sure. However, one is allowed to have both. I keep my passport card with me at all times as an ID and proof of citizenship. It's super cheap too. I find passport books kind of bulky. A passport card is also useful to get into an embassy or consulate if a passport book is lost.
I carry a copy of my passport when abroad which is what is recommended by the state department in case something happens to my passport. Not paying extra for a limited card which I don't need. But it's your money. It's up to you. I worry about people who want to use it on cruises to save a few bucks but don't consider that if they have to fly back for some reason the airlines won't let them with the card.

I carry a copy of my passport when abroad which is what is recommended by the state department in case something happens to my passport. Not paying extra for a limited card which I don't need. But it's your money. It's up to you. I worry about people who want to use it on cruises to save a few bucks but don't consider that if they have to fly back for some reason the airlines won't let them with the card.
Again - I paid $20 for it and have had it for 6+ years. It stays in my wallet along with my driver license, credit cards, and other assorted wallet-sized cards. When I travel internationally it merely supplements my passport. I had our passports when we entered Canada but they stayed in a bag.

As an expense, the current $30 for a passport card is rather minuscule. My state doesn't offer an EDL/EID, but if it did I'd probably get one. It's just a nice thing to have that barely costs anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back