cuts on july 3 ???????

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuts on july 3 ???????

• drastic ld service loss announced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • significant ld service loss announced

• some, less than system wide, ld service loss announced

• things about like they are now

• some service loss but new service announced

• no service loss, new service announced

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hummmmmmmmmm part of this survey surprises me.

After all the remarks aimed toward BNSF, it would seem that 25% of those responding to this survey either believe he is correct in the post he did on 180 day notice or think the same thing he does. :rolleyes:

Hummmmmmmmmm part of this survey surprises me.After all the remarks aimed toward BNSF, it would seem that 25% of those responding to this survey either believe he is correct in the post he did on 180 day notice or think the same thing he does.
But, at this point, that 25% is only 4 people!!

Posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006, 07:32 AM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hummmmmmmmmm part of this survey surprises me.

After all the remarks aimed toward BNSF, it would seem that 25% of those responding to this survey either believe he is correct in the post he did on 180 day notice or think the same thing he does.  

But, at this point, that 25% is only 4 people!!
Maybe so MrFSS but 5 out of 18 for a % of 28 seem to support his idea's.Guess the other 100 or so didn't have a idea either way....

Again Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

MrFSS said:
Guess the other 100 or so didn't have a idea either way....Again Hummmmmmmmmmmmm
What other 100 or so, only 18 people have voted in total!!
The 180 someodd that have read this survey. somewhere about 170 didn't vote either way.....

Oh well.........Hummmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Since there's too many rumors about Amtrak discontinue routes, I would wait until July 3 or so before vote. I'm not a palm reader.  
:D That would certainly make for an accurate poll allright.

Vote after the results are known...... :lol:

Nahhhhh both you Guys are good people, just pulling your chain alittle...

Observer said:
MrFSS said:
Guess the other 100 or so didn't have a idea either way....Again Hummmmmmmmmmmmm
What other 100 or so, only 18 people have voted in total!!
The 180 someodd that have read this survey. somewhere about 170 didn't vote either way.....

Oh well.........Hummmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:
180 is far from the total number that have read the survey. Everytime you make a visit to see the latest posts in this thread, you increase the counter.

As moderator I of course need to check on all new posts made on this board. So I've probably been here at least 15 to 20 times myself, yet I still only get one vote.

I'm sure that many others have visited this topic at least twice, and many people have probably been here more than twice.

I think there may well be some "announcement" in early July, but this "train 1-8" claim simply makes no sense. They just changed to simplified dining service a couple months ago . . . that would save NOTHING if they were just going to discontinue them! That would be like installing a solar panel on your house to save electricity, then tearing the house down!

I have NO DOUBT that Amtrak is studying all the long distance routes, and seeing which make more sense from an operational and financial standpoint. Frankly, it's about time. They've cut dining car costs, and it was way past time for that, too. I am a bit worried about sleeping car cuts, but there is no reason in the world for the feds to directly subsidize "first class" travel. I also can't see why, at the prices Amtrak charges, sleepers can't be self-sufficient "above the rails."

JPS

how are the plans for the coming year announced? i assume we can find out here what happens but does amtrak issue a budget tomorrow that includes how much for what. how do they do this not knowing how much money congress will appropriate?

This is exactly what Bush and Mineta wanted all along. We'll see, with Bush controlling the Amtrak board, the CANCER is truly within Amtrak now.

It makes sense if they announce massive 180 day notices this week right before the Senate is to debate funding for next year, it will all but guarentee the Senate will not fund Amtrak as they should. Which is what Bush wanted in the first place. These people are playing as far below the belt as they can. Anything is possible!

x-press said:
If the trains themselves are considered useful and/or necessary to serve all the small communities along the way that don't have air access, then considering them a "sunk expense" and allowing the sleepers to "come along for the ride" and pay only their own expenses, seems reasonable to me.
JPS
Then there is the Essential Air Service program wherein the US Government spends $100 million to subsidize 100 small airports (such as Clarksburg, Morgantown, Parkersburg WV).

I used to fly EAS for one of the airlines I worked for in the past. The thing about EAS, its usually a Beech 1900 turboprop which people hate, and the main factor is the cost. The flights are priced outrageously high. Its not uncomon for a 150 mile flight to cost 300 dollars or more. Alot of times we'd have 2-3 people on the plane and they were 90 percent of the time on business.

amtrak_flyer said:
I used to fly EAS for one of the airlines I worked for in the past. The thing about EAS, its usually a Beech 1900 turboprop which people hate, and the main factor is the cost. The flights are priced outrageously high. Its not uncomon for a 150 mile flight to cost 300 dollars or more. Alot of times we'd have 2-3 people on the plane and they were 90 percent of the time on business.
Yup, we do same thing with Great Lakes Aviation between Clovis, NM and ABQ. Fewer people, the better! I often compare the fares between the airfare and 4 hours driving, including gas and parking and often times it's about the same if you book in advanced.

yarrow said:
alan,just a quick question. you were on the eb recently i believe. have they gone to all plastic service in the diner there also? thanks.
You are correct, I was just on the EB little more than two weeks ago. No, the EB not only has not gone to plasticware, they like the Auto Train, are not on the SDS system. The EB dining car, as well as the Auto Train's dining cars still operate on the old system.

However as I pointed out in my piece above, other than the glassware and a few more cooked to order items, there isn't too much difference in the food.

The biggest differences are in the number of passengers served per meal, and the number of crew members working in the car.

saxman66 said:
Just wondering if this post still needs to be pinned. Seems like this issue has settled down...for now.
Funny, I was just thinking that before I read your message. This, and the "is SDS working?" thread should probably be taken down. The top's getting awfully crowded.

saxman66 said:
Just wondering if this post still needs to be pinned. Seems like this issue has settled down...for now.
Well simple polls I normally leave pinned for two weeks from the date it was started, or as soon as I remember to check it after the two week point. In the case of topics that have significant information, I'll often leave them up longer, but again at a minimum I'll leave them up for at least two weeks from the date of the last post to the topic.

Your post came exactly two weeks from the date of last post. My plan however had always been to leave this topic up longer than two weeks, since it veered off into some meaningful discussion on the SDS topic here. Especially since it's my understanding that my analysis of the SDS costs has been submitted to a congressional staffer.

And of course now your post has reset the clock. :lol:

If Anthony is sucessful in upgrading the board this week, then I'll consider splitting off the SDS posts and retiring the rest of the thread. But I can't split the topic with the current version of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back