CYN (Cary, NC to Boston)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am considering taking the Amtrak train from Cary NC to Boston for a change, rather than flying. Unfortunately, looking at Amtrak's site, the best I can do is leave Cary around 8am, and arrive in DC at 315m; however, the next available train would then be 10pm overnight without a sleeper arriving in Boston at 730am. The layover, time, and lack of sleeper is less than appealing. The return trip is depart at 6am and arrive in CYN at 927pm (1/2 hour layover at Penn) which is something I am willing to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried calling the Amtrak number; however, I was on hold for quite some time. I will try again tomorrow though. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Unfortunately, the Silver Star doesn't make it into DC in time to catch the last afternoon departure to Boston (depending on the day, the time varies, but it's never after 4:05 PM which doesn't leave enough padding to compensate for any possible delays into DC). You can hope the Silver Star is on time and see about exchanging your ticket for Train 66 for the earlier train, but there are no guarantees.

Alternatively, you could consider driving to Rocky Mount, NC and catching the Silver Meteor out of there at a very early 2:42 AM or drive to Greensboro, NC and catch the Crescent out of there at 3:58 AM. Both trains will get you into New York in time to catch an earlier train to Boston and both have sleeping cars where you could go to sleep after boarding.

Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back