CZ 5 hours late in Nebraska today 7/13. Is Penny Lost Again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Checking on the progress of our OTOL/AU travelers and looks like there are still problems on the CZ. CZ 5 still roaming the cornfields of Nebraska this morning :help: . Perhaps they are trapped in a "maize" or is that maze.?

But our group of wayward travelers will enjoy every minute of it as they head for the Rockies--sometime today? :p

Have a great trip AU gang!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny doesn't get lost now that she has GPS. We all know how dependable GPS is.

Heavy storms last night leading to lots of slow running, including having to stop to remove a tree from the path of the train. We are between Holdrege and McCook at present, expecting to be in Denver around 11:30 allegedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Hey, if nothing else, with the CZ running late, one gets to see Nebraska by daylight... a couple weeks ago now, my wife and myself got to see a beautiful sunrise from #6 in western Nebraska and she got to see how Nebraska is more like Colorado in the west and more like Iowa in the east as the cattle lands of the west morphed into corn fields and then into small field farms in the east.... if the CZ is on time about all one sees are the red flashing crossing guards, the lights of the city in the distance and maybe a station or two. ... so, although being late can mess up plans and connections, just sometimes in those gray clouds, can be silver linings. :)

Yes, I have my trusty GPS with me. I learned something last night from 2 very smart members that one gets better satellite reception from the southern sky. My room has northern exposure and was not getting good connection. I later went to the lounge and snagged a seat facing south. Viola, my GPS worked fine and I got a great view of our crossing the Mississippi and the storm. I also had a wonderful conversation with an Amish family about AU, OTOL, yoga, my GPS and, believe or not, technology in general. I have been on one of my marathon talking binges this trip.

About getting lost, the GPS did not help me figure out which way to turn after coming up the stairs after bothering Dick, Jis and Steve and attempting to find KevinK to bother him, and then finding my way back to my own room.

Yes, I have my trusty GPS with me. I learned something last night from 2 very smart members that one gets better satellite reception from the southern sky. My room has northern exposure and was not getting good connection. I later went to the lounge and snagged a seat facing south. Viola, my GPS worked fine and I got a great view of our crossing the Mississippi and the storm. I also had a wonderful conversation with an Amish family about AU, OTOL, yoga, my GPS and, believe or not, technology in general. I have been on one of my marathon talking binges this trip.

About getting lost, the GPS did not help me figure out which way to turn after coming up the stairs after bothering Dick, Jis and Steve and attempting to find KevinK to bother him, and then finding my way back to my own room.
Sounds like one of the very best type of passenger(s) to encounter on the train... I find disproportionately the number of Amtrak passengers that enjoy the art of the conversation... always come away feeling refreshed and that the country does have a future, ie, there are people that can really think, and discuss... I don't always agree with them, but when such is the case, there is always an opportunity to update my views :) conversation, the lost art.

Imagine that, only Penny(the Lawyer) could get Amish folk to talk about Hi-Tech and Yoga!!!! LOL

Maybe y'all will also get to see Utah in the daylight ??!!! They were detouring #5/#6 over the Great Salt Lake earlier this week due to a derailment!!!

One of the factors in our delay was speed restriction where there was a derailment in Nebraska earlier this week. BNSF is hell bent in trying to beat CSX as the Crash Smash eXplode railroad this summer!

Hey, if nothing else, with the CZ running late, one gets to see Nebraska by daylight... a couple weeks ago now, my wife and myself got to see a beautiful sunrise from #6 in western Nebraska and she got to see how Nebraska is more like Colorado in the west and more like Iowa in the east as the cattle lands of the west morphed into corn fields and then into small field farms in the east.... if the CZ is on time about all one sees are the red flashing crossing guards, the lights of the city in the distance and maybe a station or two. ... so, although being late can mess up plans and connections, just sometimes in those gray clouds, can be silver linings. :)
Well said. Nebraska has its own unique beauty to appreciate, especially in the western half.

The only conversation I really had last trip was with an idiot who, upon finding out I run my own business started telling me all the ways he cheats the government on taxes.

I pay every red cent. I haven't gone searching out loopholes. I remember a text book chapter in an entrepreneurship class "First make money; then figure out how not to be taxed on it."

I always see mentions of "Penny getting lost" around here. I'm assuming there's a story to go along with?

The only conversation I really had last trip was with an idiot who, upon finding out I run my own business started telling me all the ways he cheats the government on taxes.

I pay every red cent. I haven't gone searching out loopholes. I remember a text book chapter in an entrepreneurship class "First make money; then figure out how not to be taxed on it."
Also, as a company owner - 16 years now - long ago came to the conclusion that any pennies saved by cutting corners will become very expensive pennies if one has to disrupt business as usual to go through an audit and/or prove to the IRS what was filed was legit, ie, one makes more money by doing more business than one can ever save by cheating on taxes.

During the STL gathering, a group of us decided to walk to the train station rather than take light rail. Because I had a map, I volunteered to lead the way. Apparently reading the map incorrectly, as soon as I walked out of the hotel, I turned left when I should have turned right. Thus, the reason I am often called "wrong turn" Penny. No one got lost. Someone in the group immediately corrected me, but it seems like no one in the group has forgotten. :)

Also, as a company owner - 16 years now - long ago came to the conclusion that any pennies saved by cutting corners will become very expensive pennies if one has to disrupt business as usual to go through an audit and/or prove to the IRS what was filed was legit, ie, one makes more money by doing more business than one can ever save by cheating on taxes.
Of course, it's a bit different if you're running a giant multinational. If so, your headquarters are probably on a Carribean island and you're probably booking all your revenue through Ireland. Even more true if you're running a bank which doesn't make its money from legitimate customers in the first place, but rather from money laundering, speculation, fraud or other similar things, in which case you probably already have squadrons of lawyers to protect your illegal activities, and can afford a squadron of lawyers to run a tax avoidance division, and lobbyists to convince Congress to make the tax avoidance "legal". This is a whole different *scale* of tax evasion, though. It's not worth it for the little people.

My point was, from this poor fool, was he ran his whole enterprise around the concept of screwing the government and not paying taxes. My business is based on brand building. My exit strategy is selling the bloody thing. I need honest financial statements to do that.

By working your business around being dishonest with your money you limit yourself insanely. If you want an example of what happens when a dishonest business goes big, look up Crazy Eddie. Look up his jail sentence, too.

My industry is highly disorganized, and I am ambitious enough to think I can whack the thing into line. Between my ambition and the basic hardship of building a long term viable profitable retail business now, in the twilight of retail, I don't have time to devise schemes to avoid taxes. Why people concentrate on it is beyond me.

I hope one day I write the IRS a million dollar quarterly payment check. Work that back to figure out how much bet profit i must have made that year.

It looks like our Amtrak wanderers have made it to Denver and are pushing up the Big Hill toward the TUNNEL! A beautiful view it is, indeed :)

Still should be light going across Colorado today. According to Amtrak, expected time of arrival into SLC is 3:00am. :(

Hoping one our reps can give us an update tonight on Chat.. :)

It looks like our Amtrak wanderers have made it to Denver and are pushing up the Big Hill toward the TUNNEL! A beautiful view it is, indeed :)

Still should be light going across Colorado today. According to Amtrak, expected time of arrival into SLC is 3:00am. :(

Hoping one our reps can give us an update tonight on Chat.. :)
I was eating and chatting (in person) in a different time zone. Magnificent scenery in Colorado. I think we are running about 6 hours late. I think we will be lucky to arrive in SLC by 4am. Steve predicts 5am.We are all trying to figure out for what time to set alarms.

During the STL gathering, a group of us decided to walk to the train station rather than take light rail. Because I had a map, I volunteered to lead the way. Apparently reading the map incorrectly, as soon as I walked out of the hotel, I turned left when I should have turned right. Thus, the reason I am often called "wrong turn" Penny. No one got lost. Someone in the group immediately corrected me, but it seems like no one in the group has forgotten. :)
hummm... perhaps I wont bother you picking me up at ORL in September...... :)

Bruce-SSR

Glad you are generally having a good time. Get some good rest before you get to SLC. Were you able to re-arrange your hotel reservations without penalties? I think your itinerary for tomorrow will need to reflect some shut-eye time R&R before riding trains. :p

Many of us had an almost full night's sleep on the train. So all that is needed is a shower and a hearty breakfast and such and at least I'd be ready to go after that.

We are starting an hour and a bit later than planned. I am at the hotel getting a bit of additional relaxation before the breakfast place opens.

Passed #5 just out of SLC on my way into work this morning. Guess it didnt work out to bad for you guys.

I have had my shower and very hearty breakfast. I think I am ready to go. I think we have about 30 separate light rail segments. I am not looking forward to being out and about in 100 degree heat. Central Florida does not get that hot. Yes, I know it is "dry" heat. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back