CZ Detour Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno89502

Service Attendant
Im heading out on the CZ from RNO to OMA on September 2nd and returning on September 9th. I read that I will be taking the detour. I was curious, is there anywhere along the detour route (Between SLC and DEN) where they stop for a crew change or refuling where the passengers can step off the train? (Yes, im one of those nasty smokers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there will be around 3 smoking stops, maybe more depending if train is early into the stops.

When we were on the detour last month, only one stop was made where passengers were allowed off the train. That was in Green River Wyoming, and it was for less than 15 minutes. Puff real fast, my smoker friend!

Another question I was wondering. If we are on schedule, what time do we arrive in Denver, and how long of a layover do we have?

Yes, there will be around 3 smoking stops, maybe more depending if train is early into the stops.
:huh:

On the detour route via WY, there are NO stops between SLC and DEN. There is only the crew change/smoke stop at Green River!

It's hard to say about the arrival times, but I have heard that it sometimes gets to DEN or SLC 2-3 hours early!

And the Green River stop isn't guaranteed to happen either. Only one of the tracks has a platform, so depending on other traffic, the CZ may or may not land on the platform. When I did the detour two years ago going westbound we made the platform and everyone was allowed off for a little while. Coming eastbound we couldn't get to the correct track, so the crew change occured on the rocks and no one was allowed off the train.

They do try to get UP to put them on the platform, but there are no guarantees that you will get a smoke stop.

And unless the train was way late into Salt Lake City, you should be early into Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the Green River stop isn't guaranteed to happen either. Only one of the tracks has a platform, so depending on other traffic, the CZ may or may not land on the platform. When I did the detour two years ago going westbound we made the platform and everyone was allowed off for a little while. Coming eastbound we couldn't get to the correct track, so the crew change occured on the rocks and no one was allowed off the train.
They do try to get UP to put them on the platform, but there are no guarantees that you will get a smoke stop.

And unless the train was way late into Salt Lake City, you should be early into Denver.
Does the CZ detour every year at this time of year? I am planning to take the CZ from CHI to SAC around this time in 2010 and am hoping there will be no detour.

Does the CZ detour every year at this time of year? I am planning to take the CZ from CHI to SAC around this time in 2010 and am hoping there will be no detour.
Well, it did in 2007 and 2009. I don't recall about 2008 though.

For some reason I thought the original question was stops the entire route, maybe the question changed. My glasses need adjusting.

Yep, 2008, too; I was on it for one of the runs eastbound when there was flooding in Iowa, so we ended up just annulling in Denver.

Thanks for the info everyone. One more question, does anyone know what the travel time is between SLC and DEN on the detour?

The CZ has had detours for the last several years, but the times vary widely. One year the detours were all in May & June. The next year they were scheduled for the same two months, but kept getting moved back further and further. It all depends on UP and what else is going in with their network and the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back