CZ load differences btwn May and August

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmushial

OBS Chief
When I road the CZ from Sacramento to Lincoln the 2nd week of May (in coach), at SAC one had their pick of seats, and other than families that wanted to share double seats, everyone got a double seat to themselves - which made sleeping that night a lot easier. Even after we picked up passengers at SLC and DEN, coach was maybe 50% full, ie, some no longer had a choice of left side or right if they wanted a double to themselves, they could still have a double.

My question is; the 3rd week of August but on the reverse trip (CZ from Omaha or Lincoln back to Sac, and onto Redding) - what type of load should I expect? I was thinking about getting on at Omaha instead of Lincoln, just to maybe get a better choice of seats. I've searched the Amtrak site, I've googled for such, but can't find any statistics w/re the CZ and loads. Anyone have any input on this? Any links to load data?

as always: many thanks - greg

There's not a ton of people that get on in Omaha - maybe 10-20? Can't tell you of the load factor, but most people will already be on - you probably won't gain a huge advantage by getting on in Omaha.

I know in July we were almost completely full - had a seat mate to Denver both ways.

There's not a ton of people that get on in Omaha - maybe 10-20? Can't tell you of the load factor, but most people will already be on - you probably won't gain a huge advantage by getting on in Omaha.
I know in July we were almost completely full - had a seat mate to Denver both ways.
Thank you, that's valuable information. ... maybe getting on in Chicago at least one will get a window and a choice of sides... but may/may not ended up with someone in the other seat at some point... just a thought.. this trip will have a flexible agenda, so, there's room to mix and match.

Remember that if your alone and the train is going to be crowded the coach attendants will assign seats and seem to be instructed not to take passenger preferences into consideration. Im on the Empire Builder right now just MSP to MKE. The 808 coach is nearly full of passengers just going from MSP to CHI (except the lower level with two couples, I snuck down their for a nap) and since I'm only going to MKE I was told to get in a different car and immediately handed an -aisle seat.

Mid-August is likely to be very crowded in coach (and sold out in sleepers) on the CZ from Chicago to at least Salt Lake City, and possibly even as far west as Reno. Usually, the westbound CZ has some seats available west of Reno, even in the peak of summer travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back