CZ Service Disruption (6/25) and more delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is starting to sound like 2011 when I was planning my first LD trip - on the CZ :eek: As I recall, that spring was a wet one too with delays and cancellations due to the flooding. Luckily my trip wasn't till November.

In 2011 I was scheduled to go from Chicago to Sacramento on the CZ and then to Seattle on the CS. I was traveling with my uncle and his granddaughter. This was an AGR trip and we got the dreaded phone call from Amtrak saying the CZ trip was cancelled. We got on the horn with AGR and ended up going coach to LA on the SWC and in a bedroom from LA to Seattle. The SWC ended up adding two additional coaches to accommodate all the displaced CZ passengers.

The #5 (6/26) and the #5 (6/27) are just a few miles apart in Iowa. Looks like they would stop and combine the trains. Unless that would cause problems when they get to the Rockies?

Another update from BNSF... looks like a mess:

On Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 5:15 a.m. Central Time, we received a preliminary report of a washout on the main tracks at Melrose, Iowa. Melrose, Iowa is approximately 30 miles West of Ottumwa, Iowa. The first main track returned to service on Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 3:25 p.m. Central Time. The estimated time for opening for the second main track has not been determined.

BNSF will continue to provide you with additional information as it becomes available. Customers may experience delays of 36 to 48 hours on shipments moving through this corridor.
Source: http://domino.bnsf.com/website/updates.nsf/updates-service-consumer/B5CC110D3018B45286257E72000DA36D?Open

If I am scheduled to depart Emeryville on the CZ 6 on 6/30, how will this impact me? Thanks!

If I am scheduled to depart Emeryville on the CZ 6 on 6/30, how will this impact me? Thanks!
Hopefully they will have it cleared by then. At least coming from Emeryville traffic should be close to normal by the time you get to Iowa on 7/2 I would think. Don't know about having train crews and equipment back on a normal schedule but the track should be clear.

From The Chicago Sun-Times:

Amtrak train from Chicago was stuck in Iowa overnight

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicago/7/71/726881/amtrak-train-chicago-stuck-iowa-overnight

An Amtrak California Zephyr train that departed from Chicago’s Union Station on Friday carrying nearly 300 passengers was stuck in small Iowa town until Saturday evening.

The train, Amtrak No. 5, first was stuck in Ottumwa, Iowa, because of “washed-out” track conditions following storms, according to Vernae Graham, an Amtrak spokeswoman, who said Saturday night that the tracks had to be repaired.

Then, when the train got moving again, it had to return to the Ottumwa station after a train ahead of it, operated by BNSF, developed mechanical problems, Graham said.

The Zephyr had left Chicago at 2 p.m. Friday. It was stopped in Iowa at 11:30 p.m. and got back en route just before 7 p.m Saturday, she said.

Passengers were given food at the station and were given the chance to find other means of transportation if they wanted, but all stayed with the train, Graham said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at the status maps, looks like they are parking CZ 6(26) in Denver as well. Hasn't moved in close to an hour.

Edited to add at 10:08pm MST: Looks like it is moving... interesting.

5 that left Chicago tonight is in service disruption.

A friend of mine is scheduled to go from Chicago to Slc tomorrow. I'm riding to Gbb and coming back on the Carl Sandburg. This is her first trip.

Hopefully they will have it cleared by then. At least coming from Emeryville traffic should be close to normal by the time you get to Iowa on 7/2 I would think. Don't know about having train crews and equipment back on a normal schedule but the track should be clear.
Actually, I was asking more because I assume that the train that is stuck now is the one that I am supposed to take from Emeryville on 6/30 and I was wondering how this disruption will affect arrival of the 5 in Emeryville on 6/29 and departure on 6/30. Thanks!

I'm returning from Chicago on Monday, so I'm hoping today's #6 will get in with plenty of time to get turned and get me home! :lol:

12:12A CT:

Update: #5 departing CHI on the 26th is STILL stuck in Iowa, now in Creston. I would assume that this train is now about 1 day delayed, with #5 (27) a couple hours behind it. #6 (the one just west of the 2 #5's) is now 17 hours late, west of Creston.

#5 that was supposed to arrive in EMY this afternoon (that is, arriving on the 27th) is now just east of Truckee, 12-13 hours late, estimated to arrive in EMY next morning at 4am. This was delayed 9-10 hours through Iowa and Nebraska.

#3, departing CHI on the 26th, is now north of ABQ, 8-9 hours late (not so bad compared to the CZ).

All other trains seem unaffected by the flood.

The SWC wasn't as badly effected by floods/washouts as the CZ. They did detour for a day in Missouri but only the #3(6/26) which is arriving today has a real issue in that it is 9 1/2 hours late. Currently expected in 4:09pm. I am guessing this train will be needed for the turnaround for tonights SWC leaving LAX. If that is the case there will probably be some minor delays to today's #4 due to the need to do the turn around. Just guessing based on the schedules.

Question for those that know the CZ route better than I do. The #5 (6/26) and the #6 (6/25) are both over 24 hours late. Will this cause problems with the turn arounds? Will there be a #5 leaving today from Chicago and a #6 leaving tomorrow from Emeryville?

It's my understanding they only have 6 CZ train sets, so I don't think there is any extra equipment available at either end to use for scheduled departures from the end points.

Looks like both #5s cleared Iowa last night, but the 6 is still sitting in Osceola. Are they waiting for the second track to open up?

My sister and her husband were on the 6(25) and got bustituted from Omaha to Ottumwa.

They got to OTM about 10.5 hours late last evening.

The bus (2 buses actually) also stopped in Creston and Osceola.

The 6(25) had a dead locomotive. The locomotive died climbing the grade out of Provo.

BNSF provided an engine from Grand Junction to Denver.

It could be the 6(25) is waiting for the 2nd track to open. Melrose, IA is getting more rain right now.

Now the 6 on the map at Osceola is gone, and all 6s are listed as in service disruption. More detouring?

#6(25) left Osceola at 7:13 AM, but then Track A Train showed it backtracking to Osceola getting back there just after 8:00.

It's been reported that #6(26) is going to detour on the Union Pacific today. It's currently waiting in Omaha for a pilot and a rested crew which is said is going to take until this afternoon.

Also, in another report, #6(25) was seen yesterday with the windshield of the second unit covered with oil thrown up from the first unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back