CZ Service Disruption (6/25) and more delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sitting at SAC off 11(27), waiting for my connection to 6(28). Amtrak's site says status not available due to service disruption. Have they canceled 6(28) yet?
Looking internally, and it says to expect a 1:30pm departure from EMY, due to the late equipment turn.
Thanks for the update! Guess I'll have time to see the railroad museum! Never been able to do so.

A few posts up, it says 'minor delays' for #4 this Sunday (the one I'm going on). Does this mean, like 1/2 hour? 3 hrs? 7 hrs? 'Minor delays' varies from person to person!

Anyone know how to access the train tracking tool on Amtrak's newly launched website?

Well I got the dreaded call that my #5 out of CHI was cancelled today, and that they were unsure if there was a train tomorrow. Also, there were no roomettes left for tomorrow's #5, so I just totally canceled my reservation and got my 20K points back. I ended up booking a flight going to SFO leaving tonight. I'm pretty upset about this, and I'm glad I got a flight, but what is my recourse now? Has Amtrak historically made up for the cancellation with any kind of compensation such as a travel voucher or bonus AGR points? Should I bother complaining to Amtrak customer service and trying for something? Yes I'm glad I got my original redemption points back, but booking last minute flights is not exactly cheap...

Well I got the dreaded call that my #5 out of CHI was cancelled today, and that they were unsure if there was a train tomorrow. Also, there were no roomettes left for tomorrow's #5, so I just totally canceled my reservation and got my 20K points back. I ended up booking a flight going to SFO leaving tonight. I'm pretty upset about this, and I'm glad I got a flight, but what is my recourse now? Has Amtrak historically made up for the cancellation with any kind of compensation such as a travel voucher or bonus AGR points? Should I bother complaining to Amtrak customer service and trying for something? Yes I'm glad I got my original redemption points back, but booking last minute flights is not exactly cheap...
Personally, I probably wouldn't bother because I know the issues were out of Amtrak's hands (flooded out tracks). But, I'm sure others here will say, yes, milk them for what they've got (even though Amtrak is struggling with what money they get from Congress).

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother because I know the issues were out of Amtrak's hands (flooded out tracks). But, I'm sure others here will say, yes, milk them for what they've got (even though Amtrak is struggling with what money they get from Congress).
Just got off the phone with Amtrak and they said 6 is cancelled for 6/29, 6/30 and 7/1. Agent said this is "probably definite". Can this be true?

I'd believe it. Equipment and crews are all out of position now. It will take at least a couple of days for everything to get unsnarled.

So the chances of the 6 for tomorrow being cancelled are very good? :/

Back with the delayed #3 . . .

Do they normally clean up the morning arrival of #3 and turn it in to #4 to depart that evening?

If so, #4 today would be delayed.

Will they use the Sunset Limited set sitting in LAX (or is it?) to keep #4 on-time, and get the late #3 set on the #2 for a departure of 10pm? #2 does depart LAX on Sundays.

Seems like they could do that.

We were due to go on the 5 (27) but got an email telling us our reservation had been cancelled. Called them up, and told everything was fine by a disruption agent. When pressed as to why the email was sent, she checked with customer service and came back to tell us the train was only going to Grand Junction, where it will turn around and become a 6.

Passengers would be put on a bus from Grand Junction to Emeryville - quite the trip! Amtrak.com automatically cancelled our reservation as it had an infant - smart thinking on behalf of the other passengers!

She couldn't move our bedroom reservation to the 28th as all sold out (looks like it was really cancelled), but we are now booked on the 5 (29) which should run to Emeryville on time. Presume we need the 6 to arrive in CHI tonight for this to occur? Will be super annoyed if we have to jump on a plane on Monday night when we could have done this on Saturday evening!

I know Amtrak have their problems, but their website really is p-poor. I couldn't believe they'd spent cash on a cosmetic upgrade when the actual data shown online is so poor. Most of the 5 and 6 trains have 'INFORMATION UNAVAILABLE' listed next to them due to service disruptions, so you can't see how late they are or what day they left (quite important when some are 30+ hours late) and the service disruption page doesn't list the CZ once - despite all the info in this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just called and got a refund for my bedroom on tomorrow's 5, which they did say was cancelled. So much for my first time in a bedroom! :/

I know Amtrak have their problems, but their website really is p-poor. I couldn't believe they'd spent cash on a cosmetic upgrade when the actual data shown online is so poor. Most of the 5 and 6 trains have 'INFORMATION UNAVAILABLE' listed next to them due to service disruptions, so you can't see how late they are or what day they left (quite important when some are 30+ hours late) and the service disruption page doesn't list the CZ once - despite all the info in this thread!
Amtrak has got to do better on this ! ! !

Does Amtrak post any service updates to a Twitter account ? ?

As a contrast, when Houston was innundated with the heavy rains that turned into major flooding several weeks ago, the Houston Public Transportation Twitter page overnight, had timely updates about different public transportation systems being cancelled until further notice...for the morning commuters.

But, the Web Page for the same system, although it had the capability for Service Interruption Notices, was not displaying any service interruption notices for several hours after their Twitter page had advised of cancellations.

Which is a long way of saying that it's sometimes easier to update a Twitter account page, than it is to update a Web page... as far as major metropolitan regional transportation systems go...

I just called and got a refund for my bedroom on tomorrow's 5, which they did say was cancelled. So much for my first time in a bedroom! :/
Interesting... they are still selling tickets for that service online.

Might call up and see if we can switch our E bedroom for yours!

One point I was surprised by - amtrak.com didn't have any bedrooms for sale (other than an accessible one) but our agent was able to put in a regular bedroom (with shower) with zero difficulty.

And it looks like 6 (26) is on diversion after Omaha - where it arrived about lunchtime today. Will this diversion stop it from being train 5 (29)?

tvFmSrg.png

My sister and her husband were on the 6(25) and got bustituted from Omaha to Ottumwa.

They got to OTM about 10.5 hours late last evening.

The bus (2 buses actually) also stopped in Creston and Osceola.
So they bussed all the passengers from Omaha?

Amtrak train #6(25), or rather, what used to be #6(25) passed through Agency, Iowa at 2:54 PM. The engineer was on duty at 5:30 AM. He told the dispatcher they were deadheading and would be a straight shot to Galesburg, Illinois. There was to be a new engineer at Galesburg. Note the oil from the first unit partially covering the second unit. Also, a dome observation car from the original California Zephyr was on the end.

By my count, if this train was still traveling as #6(25), it would be twenty-nine hours and thirty-seven minutes late.

We are taking 6(28) to Chicago- at Sacramento now. We heard that the train which was delayed from its original 10:58. arrival from EMV has left EMV @15 min ago and should be here in SAC @5:30 or so. Here's hoping Ottumwa won't cause more issues. Believe it or not, we were delayed there 7 hours overnight back on 5(20) train from Chicago!! Arrived in SAC 13 hours late! Rounding out the round trip drama but feeling lucky to slip out of SAC before the cancellations!

Just posted on my local rail list:

[SIZE=12pt] #5 of the 28th is CANCELLED WITH NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION PER AMTRAK. So is #6 (29) out of Emeryville. #5 (27) is ETA Denver 1159pm. #6 (25) is terminated @ Osceola, Iowa with passengers bustituted to Chicago! # 6 (26) left Omaha over the UP (old CNW) @ 157PM CT.

#6 (27) will also detour over the UP (CNW) Omaha to Chicago for MONDAY 6/29.
[/SIZE]

Just posted on my local rail list:

[SIZE=12pt] #5 of the 28th is CANCELLED WITH NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION PER AMTRAK. So is #6 (29) out of Emeryville. #5 (27) is ETA Denver 1159pm. #6 (25) is terminated @ Osceola, Iowa with passengers bustituted to Chicago! # 6 (26) left Omaha over the UP (old CNW) @ 157PM CT.[/SIZE]
#6 (27) will also detour over the UP (CNW) Omaha to Chicago for MONDAY 6/29.
So #5 (27) is just a couple of hours behind #5 (26)? And will #5 (26) become #6 (30) at EMY?

One more update, BNSF now says that both lines are now open and operational. Let's hope this clears up traffic so everything is back to normal:

On Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 5:15 a.m. Central Time, we received a preliminary report of a washout on the main tracks at Melrose, Iowa. Melrose, Iowa is approximately 30 miles West of Ottumwa, Iowa. The first main track returned to service on Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 3:25 p.m. Central Time. The second main track returned to service on Sunday, June 28th, 2015 at 3:30 p.m. Central Time.
Source: http://domino.bnsf.com/website/updates.nsf/updates-service-consumer/443DB2BE6C07F86686257E73000315FE?Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back