CZ trip report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is a bit late, but better late than never.

On Monday April 6, Mike, a railfan buddy from Cleveland Ohio flew to Ohare. I met his flight and we walked over to the American Airlines gate. We were on flgiht 451. It left a bit late, but with favorable winds, we still managed to arrive a few minutes early. The flight was excellent. The crew pleasant, and the pilot went the extra mile or two. He altered his course and dipped the wings so the passengers on the left could see El Capitan in Yosemite. He showed the passengers on the right a lake.

We arrived, and made are way to the BART station. I knew ahead of time the fare, and had the appropriate money, as did Mike. The ride downtown was uneventful. We were staying at the Marriott on 4th street, which was near the powell street station. We stopped at walgreens and purchasd MUNI passes for 11 dollars a piece, and checked in. The Marriott is perfectly located, about a half block south of Market. It is a short walk to the F line and BART station, and the cable cars. The rooms were very comfortable, and quiet.

By 3 p.m. we were leaving the hotel. We put on a clinic for maximizing the use of a Muni pass. We started off with a ride on the F line over to fisherman's wharf, where we ate lunch/dinner at Boudin's restaurant. We had the perfect view of alcatraz and the bay. We had scoped out Scomas on the internet, but when we arrived their customer servic was disgustingly indifferent, so we left. Boudins was much more enjoyable.

After dinner we rode the hyde park line, and the powell line. From fisherman's wharf we rode the powell line back up to the California line, and rode west, and than back to the emcarcadero. At this point it was about 9:45 p.m. Mike loves In and Out Burgers, so we rode back to fisherman's wharf for a late evening snack. Then took the F line back to the hotel. If we had paid separately for our rides, we would have bade about 27 dollars a piece. So I believe we are guilty of abusing those passes. LOL

The next morning we rode the F line to the ferry building, and caught the bus over to connect to 6 at emy. The ride over the bay was as enjoyable as always. At emy, we sat on the platform and train watched until 6 came in. We saw the sb coast starlgiht pass through with a pacific parlor car. And 3 or 4 other trains. We were in the 632 car. So we had a long walk down the platform to board.

Upon boarding, we receive a nice surprise. The attendant, Morganna, sent us to the diner for a "continental breakfast". This meant only some breakfast items were available. I had french toast, so I felt that I was well ahead of the game. Last year, I had some nasty yogurt and a muffin that was service in my room.

The crew on this trip was the best ever. Morganna, shuffled the room assignments around so I could sit across from Mike. She seemed to have a grand plan. I was not sure what it was but I was happy. She was definitely trying to be proactive. I gave her a 20. I knew this was going to be an excellent trip.

The food in the dinner was excellent, and the service better. Our waiter was fantastic. We developed a rapport, and since the train was not crowded, we always got window seats without hassles. This was really nice on the way into Denver. He also got tipped well.

As always, the scenery was awesome. UP did an excellent job. I dont' think we took one siding for freight traffic. Between Elko and Salt Lake, I noticed a much smoother ride. I believe that we were riding on concrete ties for significant distances.

BNSF did their part too. We arrived early into Chicago. All in all, this was the best trip of many on my favorite train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back