CZ west or EB east

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
Hi all,

I'm in the process of accumulating enough points to take the train from CLE (well, cash to CLE then points from TOL) to West Coast and fly back... or vice versa :) Sleeper of course..! From what I've read on this forum, seems the CZ going west, then the CS up to Portland or Seattle is favored. But the EB going east has good reviews also (in that case we'd fly into California to catch the CS up to the EB!)

If we take the train out west, I'm also thinking of paying from CLE to CHI, spending the night there, and heading out on sleepers the next day. Unfortunately, catching the train in the CLE area starts everything off at a bad time of day...

Could I get opinions on which direction to take the train, and what times of the year to avoid (due primarily to short daylight for viewing opportunities)?

If sleepers aren't available for part of the trip, how would that work using points? If needing to use a roomette, are meals included then?

THanks so much for opinions and advice... I do read this forum quite a bit but don't want to make a mistake when planning this trip :)

I went to the Amtrak reservations page and for a random date (Dec. 14) entered CLE-PDX. The third choice came up with the Cap.Ltd. from CLE-CHI, transferring to the CZ from CHI-SAC, then transferring to the CS from SAC-PDX. The layover in CHI is over 5 hours, which should give you some good quality time in CHI. Maybe grab a bite to eat at one of the places frequently mentioned on this forum. The layover in SAC is almost 10 hours with the CZ not leaving till almost midnight. If an itinerary shows up on the Amtrak reservations page, you can book it as an AGR award trip.

Entering CLE-SEA on the reservations page offered the same itinerary as above, but extending the CS trip to SEA. More train for the same price!

The CZ seems to have the reputation around these parts of being the most scenic route on the entire Amtrak system. And the consensus is that westbound is the way to take it.

I believe that if you are booking an AGR trip in bedrooms, but are required to take a roomette for part of the trip, you're still out the full 30K points for a 2-zone award. Either way, meals are included for all sleeping car passengers.

Just in case you're not aware of the policy, 2 people can be booked on a bedroom award for the same 30K points as 1 person. And meals in the diner are included for both.

I'll bet if you're extra nice to your conductor as you're boarding in CLE, s/he'll let you take your bedroom there, instead of making you ride in coach for 2 hours before making the switch to your bedroom in TOL. Especially at that hour of the night.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun. Well, except for the flying part. ;)

The advantages of a CS/EB routing are

1. Daylight southern CA coast running
  2. 2 days/1 night in the PPC
  3. Use of the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX and CHI
  4. Partial daylight running in the Columbia River Gorge area
  5. Morning daytime running in the Glacier NP area
  6. Daytime running in MN/WI along the Mississippi River

The advantages of the CZ/CS

1. Crossing the Rockies in CO (considered by many, including me, as the most scenic train route on Amtrak today
    cool.gif
    )
  2. Crossing the Sierra Nevada's at Donner Pass (also very scenic
    cool.gif
    )
  3. If laying over in SAC, the CA State RR Museum (considered by many, including me, to be the best in the country
    biggrin.gif
    ), Old Sacramento and a major Mall are all within a 5 minute walk of the station
  4. If going to PDX, use of the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX -- but you also can use the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI

Either way you chose, you can't go wrong!
wink.gif
I have a tough time choosing between then myself!
tongue.gif

All of this information is very much appreciated! Any months to avoid when travelling? I assume winter can be iffy in the mountain area(s)?

Outside of having the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX, any reason to not take the CS up to Seattle (have never been there...)?

Are the bedding furnishings provided in the sleeper car similar to hotel (i.e., decent thickness blanket and regular size pillows)?

Finally, should I be flexible with dates so as to have sleepers (vs. roomettes) the whole way so we don't have to move in/out during a train segment?

Many thanks again :)

All of this information is very much appreciated! Any months to avoid when travelling? I assume winter can be iffy in the mountain area(s)?

Outside of having the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX, any reason to not take the CS up to Seattle (have never been there...)?

Are the bedding furnishings provided in the sleeper car similar to hotel (i.e., decent thickness blanket and regular size pillows)?

Finally, should I be flexible with dates so as to have sleepers (vs. roomettes) the whole way so we don't have to move in/out during a train segment?

Many thanks again :)
The main reason not to take the Coast Starlight up to Seattle is that you can't transfer to the eastbound Empire Builder there, only in Portland. If your final destination is Seattle, no problem.

The bedding in the sleeper car is, alas, not similar to a hotel. The linens are just fine, to my way of thinking (though my standards might be lower than yours), and the blankets are warm enough. But the pillows are small and quite flat.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of accumulating enough points to take the train from CLE (well, cash to CLE then points from TOL) to West Coast and fly back... or vice versa :) Sleeper of course..! From what I've read on this forum, seems the CZ going west, then the CS up to Portland or Seattle is favored. But the EB going east has good reviews also (in that case we'd fly into California to catch the CS up to the EB!)

If we take the train out west, I'm also thinking of paying from CLE to CHI, spending the night there, and heading out on sleepers the next day. Unfortunately, catching the train in the CLE area starts everything off at a bad time of day...

Could I get opinions on which direction to take the train, and what times of the year to avoid (due primarily to short daylight for viewing opportunities)?

If sleepers aren't available for part of the trip, how would that work using points? If needing to use a roomette, are meals included then?

THanks so much for opinions and advice... I do read this forum quite a bit but don't want to make a mistake when planning this trip :)
I feel your pain in terms of the train departure times in Cleveland. I traveled Spokane to Cleveland in June round trip and experienced the Cleveland departure times first hand. Like Cleveland, Spokane trains depart in the middle of the night (1:15 a.m., 2:15 a.m. and 2:45 a.m.). I have conditioned myself to go home (in Spokane); go to bed and set the alarm for midnight; and get some quality sleep before boarding the train.

Some additional answers to your questions. If you fly into California and take the train on the return trip, try to fly into LA. Some of the most scenic parts of the Coast Starlight route are between LA and the South Bay area. You will miss them if you take the train westbound and connect with the CS. Plus, if you take the CS to Portland, you get longer use of the Pacific Parlour Car. A few words of caution. If you take the CZ west, the scheduled arrival time is 2:13 PM, and you have a lot of time to kill in SAC before connecting with the CS. The CZ can sometimes be late and shorten that layover. If you fly into California and plan on connecting with the EB in PDX, if the CS is going to be significantly late and miss the eastbound EB departure they will detrain you in Klamath Falls, OR and treat you to an all day charter bus ride to Pasco, WA to catch up with the EB.

Back