DAL to NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonys96

Conductor
Leaving DAL on TE to CHI, then LSL to NYP. Flying home three days later. AGR roomettes both trains. Fiancé having knee (miniscus) surgery three days before departure. She will be in a knee brace.

Any pointers about this trip? Pointers about time in CHI? While in NYC? Pointers about getting from Manhattan to LaGuardia to get home?

Never been in CUS or NYP.....any pointers about navigating in and out of these stations, or inside of them?

Help appreciated.

Tony: Redcaps in CHI and NYP to/from Trains for sure, both are busy, large stations with long crowded platforms, escelators/elevators for the different levels but Red Caps will expedite your boarding and de- training!

Of course the Metro Lounge in CHI is available to you and upon arrival @ NYP you can use the Club Acela as a pit stop but you may just want to have the Redcap take you to catch a cab to the Hotel since the gf has the brace!

Depending on the weather in CHI you may want to stay close to Union Station but there are tons of eating joints close by as well as a CVS and Walgreens.

I'll let NYers give you tips on the airport part, been to long since I've been from NYP to LGA or JFK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving DAL on TE to CHI, then LSL to NYP. Flying home three days later. AGR roomettes both trains. Fiancé having knee (miniscus) surgery three days before departure. She will be in a knee brace. Any pointers about this trip? Pointers about time in CHI? While in NYC? Pointers about getting from Manhattan to LaGuardia to get home? Never been in CUS or NYP.....any pointers about navigating in and out of these stations, or inside of them? Help appreciated.
CUS is no big deal IMO. I had a friend in a boot that went with me to CUS in a roomette. Because of the boot we mainly used taxis instead of the L (which is not setup for disabled travelers) but these days you can use Uber instead. Uber X is cheaper while Uber Black is nicer. NYP is a confusing mess for departures but arrivals aren't that bad. There is an elevator at NYP that the staff keeps locked down so you'll need to let someone know that you need access. Tell the reservations desk of your needs before you depart and remind the staff early and often while on the train. LaGuardia isn't near anything of consequence and didn't have any mass transit options the last time I was there (unlike JFK and EWR). Either take Uber or ring one of the airport shuttles or a taxi. If you're new to Uber I'd suggest trying it locally in an area you're familiar with before you leave on your trip to get familiar with the process. Feel free to ask the driver for an explanation of the process if you're unsure how it works. There are promo codes online that should make your first trip free or nearly free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Uber info, but, being a luddite, I probably will pass on that. May try it out here in Dallas area sometime, though.

Do we tell SCA we need a Red Cap when arriving at CUS and NYP? Never used one at arriving station, just departing......and do we tell lounge attendant we need one at CUS on departure from there on LSL?

Anything we need to know about LSL scenery? Since we leave CUS at 9:30, our first meal will be breakfast, right? And we get dinner on TE around LVW, breakfast around STL, and do we get a lunch before CUS?

The Redcaps will meet the Train in CHI on the Platform, just tell the SCA you want one! In the Lounge tell the Desk attendamt whwn you check in, then store your stuff in the Check Room @ the desk,( tip appreciated) they'll tell you to pick it up before the Red Caps come to the desk to pick y'all up on their cart for boarding about 30 mins before departure.

Meals on the TE: LSA will take Dinner Rez after leaving DAL, serving starts before LVW, Breakfast around STL ( if on time before arrival) and then an early Limited Menu Lunch after Springfield.

Breakfast and Lunch will be served on the LSL, it will be dark except from about Erie, Pa. to Albany. Look for the old NY Central Station on the left in Buffalo before the Depew stop, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and the Mohawk River Valley and Erie Canal on the right, then into Albany.for the splitting of the train.. Unfortunately it will be dark down the Hudson River into NYP.( Best scenery on this route)

If the weather is likely bad in Chicago there is an amazing Food Court in Union Station with offerings ranging from McDonalds to High On The Hog places. Between exploring the Station (including its amazing Great Hall) and relaxing in the Metroplitan Lounge you can easily kill off the layover without having to venture outdoors.

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/

Back