Day out from Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
Morning...

Can anyone suggest an enjoyable destination less than one hour out of Boston for a day out? I'm down there for a weekend shortly and wouldn't mind riding the Downeaster or perhaps another train to see some of the countryside near-by.

Thanks!

*j*

aw, phanks :D

That one hour limit is very rough - a ride on the Downeaster looks good. Perhaps somewhere with a nice town to explore or close to the sea... any recommendations welcomed.

*j*

I nice place to stop on the Downeaster is Old Orchard Beach. I grew up there as was there last week for a vacation. You can get off and walk the beach. There's about 5 miles of beach and great food to sample. The weather was cool and drizzling but OK.

If you're looking for non-amtrak destinations too, there are tons of places.

- take a bike on the commuter rail to Newburyport, then bike down Plum Island

- take the commuter rail to Rockport and bike around Cape Ann

- go to Plymouth, Providence, etc

- take the commuter rail to Lynn and catch the somewhat infrequent MBTA bus (or bike) to Nahant which is awesome looking

- commuter rai to Fitchburgl + bike can get you to Wachusett Mountain State Reservation or Leominster State Forest

- take the T to the Arboretum, Blue Hills, or Middlesex Falls

- visit the Hindu temple in Ashland (commuter rail + walk or bike 5 km) or the Peace Pagoda in Leverett (if you have a car or feel like doing some more challenging biking from say a bus stop in Amherst)

- visit Walden Pond

- spend a day in the boston harbor islands ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back