Day trip on the Coast Starlight - questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfanmom

Train Attendant
Hi All,

I have never posted on this site but have been reading for a few weeks in preparation for an upcoming trip. I have ridden Amtrak in the past but just from Los Angeles to San Diego or Santa Barbara (and those trips were over 12 years ago). This upcoming trip will be my first longer trip. We will be going from Los Angeles to San Jose on the Coast Starlight. My 6-year old son loves trains and since this is his first trip on Amtrak, we decided to go all out and booked the Family Bedroom so that we can enjoy the Sleeper Car experience and hopefully get to enjoy the Pacific Parlor car as well. There will be 4 of us total (my Mom and my daughter are also going with us). If this experience goes well, we hope to book the full round trip to Seattle next year.

I have been reading a lot of back posts for information but there were still a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

1) What time do they usually board the train in Los Angeles (departure time is 10:15)?

2) Prior to boarding, will we be able to walk to the tracks to see other trains? My son has dreams of standing on a platform watching a train arrive. Even if it is not ours, I would like for him to get to see other trains coming and going, if possible. But I worry about being too far away from our luggage (and my Mom who will be watching it) at boarding time if I take him and my daughter to the platform. Is there any other viewing area at Union Station?

3) Will we be able to go straight to the Pacific Parlor car, or other areas, to explore after putting our stuff in our room or will we have to wait until the train departs?

4) Is there any place in Union Station or onboard to purchase Coast Starlight (or even just Amtrak) souvenirs?

5) At what stops between Los Angeles and San Jose are we allowed to get off the train (even if just for a minute…again so my son can see the whole train from outside)?

Thank you so much in advance. Any other tips or hints for getting the most out of our Coast Starlight daytrip would be appreciated.

Welcome! :D

1) Boarding is usually within maybe 15-30 minutes of departure. (See below for more info.)

2) You are not "supposed to", but it is fairly easy to go up to track level at LAX. As for checking in - because you will have a sleeper, you must check in at the Traxx Lounge (near the front door of LAX). Your tickets will be collected there, and you can get a Red Cap and cart to take you to the train from there. There are also drinks (like coffee and juice) available for no charge.

3) I think they have something like a pre-departure snack available in the PPC - but I'm not sure.

4) I don't believe so. But I know they do in the PPC on board!

5) Usually any stops where there are 2 times listed on the schedule. (Example: Arrive 1:42 Depart 1:47) But there may be more stops that the Conductor may announce as "smoke stops". Ask your SCA for other stops - but stay close to the train and be ready to re-board!

6) Enjoy your trip! :)

Thank you so much :) I was really hoping to get my son a t-shirt but from what I have read, the selections are pretty limited. We have gotten him a shirt from every railroad museum or event we have attended so his wardrobe is about 40-50% trains by now ;)

I think I am as excited about this trip as he is though. And after years of train rides (up and back), cab rides, small scale trips around the park or Day Out with Thomas, my daughter's reaction to this trip was "wow, you mean that we are going on a train that actually goes someplace" :lol:

Thank you so much :) I was really hoping to get my son a t-shirt but from what I have read, the selections are pretty limited. We have gotten him a shirt from every railroad museum or event we have attended so his wardrobe is about 40-50% trains by now ;)
I think I am as excited about this trip as he is though. And after years of train rides (up and back), cab rides, small scale trips around the park or Day Out with Thomas, my daughter's reaction to this trip was "wow, you mean that we are going on a train that actually goes someplace" :lol:
You might want to try the Amrak store at Amtrak.com. They do have t-shirts but not specifically Coast Starlight t's. There is a Starlight pen however.

Have a great trip, Amtraking is addictive.

Since there are quite a few commuter trains into Los Angeles these days and you will be there toward the end of the morning rush, you could probably go up to the platform as if going to one of the commuter trains and just hang out for a while. That would mean getting there well before you need to check in for your own ride. Wait toward the end of the alloted check in time for the CS, then go back into the station and do your check in. Saying all this on the assumption that once you start your own check in procedure, you will be somewhat trapped in the process right up to getting on the train.

Go to the Metrolink web site and check on arrival times of trains in, say, the 9:00 to 10:00 time frame to get a picture of if and how many trains will be coming in during that time. Probably need to check on Metrolink departures as well to see how reasonable wandering out to the platform in the crowd will be.

You might want to try the Amrak store at Amtrak.com. They do have t-shirts but not specifically Coast Starlight t's. There is a Starlight pen however.Have a great trip, Amtraking is addictive.
Thank you so much. I never even noticed the store link on the Amtrak site before. I just ordered both kids t-shirts and Coast Starlight lapel pins. Hopefully they will make it before the trip (if not, they will still be a nice surprise when we get home). :)

Since there are quite a few commuter trains into Los Angeles these days and you will be there toward the end of the morning rush, you could probably go up to the platform as if going to one of the commuter trains and just hang out for a while. That would mean getting there well before you need to check in for your own ride. Wait toward the end of the alloted check in time for the CS, then go back into the station and do your check in. Saying all this on the assumption that once you start your own check in procedure, you will be somewhat trapped in the process right up to getting on the train.
Go to the Metrolink web site and check on arrival times of trains in, say, the 9:00 to 10:00 time frame to get a picture of if and how many trains will be coming in during that time. Probably need to check on Metrolink departures as well to see how reasonable wandering out to the platform in the crowd will be.

Thanks - I will keep that in mind. I guess it all depends on how bad the traffic is getting to downtown LA that morning. We were hoping arrive by 9:00 just to have plenty of time to walk around the station, etc. We want time to take in the atmosphere before we leave.

4. The PPC has a wide array of Starlight souvenirs: pins, hats, mugs, etc. Just ask the attendant. Also, if you stay for the wine and cheese tasting, there are other souvenirs given out as trivia prizes.

5. From my trip on 7/1, the smoke stops before San Jose were Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Salinas.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not 'HAVE' to register at the Traxx Lounge, they just prefer that you do. I usually wait on the platform and sort out the details with the SCA and the conductor when I board.

From my trip on 7/1, the smoke stops before San Diego were Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Salinas.
The CS does not even go to San Diego!
San Diego, San Jose...too many canonized cities in California! ;)

You do not 'HAVE' to register at the Traxx Lounge, they just prefer that you do. I usually wait on the platform and sort out the details with the SCA and the conductor when I board.
While I've heard it's on the small side, consider the Traxx Lounge part of the privilege of booking your sleeper ticket. I haven't been in it myself (they weren't using it yet when I last did the CS in sleeper class), but departure lounges are usually quieter and more relaxing than the general seating/boarding area. They may have free drinks and snacks available (not sure about that, though), so you might not want to pass up the opportunity to relax in there.

Of course, relaxing is the last thing on a 6-year-old railfan's mind! So would it work to park your mom in the lounge where she can relax (and keep an eye on your luggage in a more secure environment) and then leave with your son and daughter to go wander the halls and platforms of Union Station? As long as you're back to the lounge perhaps 20 minutes before departure, you should be able to retrieve your luggage, check in, and still be on board the train 10 minutes before departure.

(If you're checking bags for your trip--an option that you may wish to take advantage of if you have lots--I don't know if that's handled in the Traxx lounge or if you still need to proceed to the normal bag check area of Union Station.)

As far as visiting the platforms before you depart, yes, LAUS has something like 12 platforms, all of which can be humming with trains at peak commute hours. For your son's enjoyment, you might wish to arrive even a little earlier than 9am--the last big rush of arriving trains happens between about 8:30am and 9:00am, and then those trains turn around and depart between about 9:00 and 9:30, with the last few right before 10am. Then there is a big gap in the middle of the day (when commuters generally aren't commuting), so there's not as much activity then (although you might see a couple of arrivals and departures between 9:30 and 10:00).

Technically, there is probably some kind of restriction that you can only be on the platforms if you have a valid ticket to travel, but in my experience, that's not enforced at all (I've never had anyone come up to me and even ask to see a ticket on the platform, and I've had sheriffs and cops and the like all walk right by me). Besides, you *do* have a ticket valid for travel that day, so even if they did ask to see something, you could show them that and it would be perfectly legit.

You mentioned driving to L.A. in morning traffic. I'm not sure what area of the Southland you live in, but have you thought about driving to the nearest Metrolink station and taking the train into Union Station? Most Metrolink stations offer free parking (check the list here for specific information and call Metrolink to verify you can leave your car for the length of time you'll be gone, and verify the station is in a generally safe area), and riding the train in would not only save you the stress and hassle of traffic and finding (and paying for) parking near Union Station but would also contribute to your son's enjoyment.

Union Station is a great place to go and train-watch, even on a day you're not traveling. If your son wants to indulge his obsession (which I and many others here share!), feel free to head in to Union Station and up to the platforms to train-watch. As I mentioned before, they don't enforce any restrictions (if there even are any there), and if they do, the most they'll do is shoo you away. Or, you can take Metrolink in for a day of train-watching and then you'll have a legitimate reason to be hanging around the station!

As for boarding and going straight to the Parlour Car, if you've already checked in and had your ticket collected by the conductor in the Traxx lounge, you shouldn't be required to stay in your room. However, there are usually some housekeeping items that take place before departure and during the very beginning of the trip. Your sleeping car attendant (identified as a SCA on these forums) will (if you get a good one, and it's likely you will) come by and take the time to explain the features of the room, the location of the various services on the train, and how to get in touch with him or her if you need. Then you'll usually get the LSA (Lead Service Attendant) making his or her rounds to set up lunch reservation times (and give you your choice of eating in the Pacific Parlour Car or the normal diner--see the trip report in my signature for some information on that choice). And if you didn't check in at the Traxx lounge, the conductor might stop in to collect your ticket. Usually things calm down and people start wandering the train about a half an hour after departure.

You've picked a great route and are sure to have a great trip. Be sure to let us all know how it went! :)

While I've heard it's on the small side, consider the Traxx Lounge part of the privilege of booking your sleeper ticket. I haven't been in it myself (they weren't using it yet when I last did the CS in sleeper class), but departure lounges are usually quieter and more relaxing than the general seating/boarding area. They may have free drinks and snacks available (not sure about that, though), so you might not want to pass up the opportunity to relax in there.

Of course, relaxing is the last thing on a 6-year-old railfan's mind! So would it work to park your mom in the lounge where she can relax (and keep an eye on your luggage in a more secure environment) and then leave with your son and daughter to go wander the halls and platforms of Union Station? As long as you're back to the lounge perhaps 20 minutes before departure, you should be able to retrieve your luggage, check in, and still be on board the train 10 minutes before departure.

(If you're checking bags for your trip--an option that you may wish to take advantage of if you have lots--I don't know if that's handled in the Traxx lounge or if you still need to proceed to the normal bag check area of Union Station.)
When I was there last October, and I tried to check in at the "regular" podium, I was told that since I had a sleeper ticket, I MUST check in at the Traxx Lounge! While there, the Conductor (later) collected all the tickets. I later walked down to the tunnel and train early myself.

The Traxx Lounge is not a regular Amtrak lounge (like in Chicago or New York). It is a bar/lounge at LAUS that is closed during the morning - so is available to be used for the departure of the CS. (It is not used for any other train - as the bar is open at those times.) You do not check bags there. They do have free juice and coffee (and I think other snacks) available.

The Traxx Lounge is not a regular Amtrak lounge (like in Chicago or New York). It is a bar/lounge at LAUS that is closed during the morning - so is available to be used for the departure of the CS. (It is not used for any other train - as the bar is open at those times.) You do not check bags there. They do have free juice and coffee (and I think other snacks) available.
I was in the Traxx lounge at the beginning of the month and as previously stated on this topic the seating in the lounge was limited. We were more than an hour early in arriving and most of the seats were already occupied. Inside the actual lounge there were 3 or 4 booth like tables with only one of the two bench seats at each table. I wouldn't say they're only for handicapped passengers, but the only ones using those were mobility impaired.

Also, we did have one bag checked upon arrival. Although they may not officially check bags, we were asked if we needed a bag checked but that may have been because it was obvious that we would have a problem getting it to wherever we would need to check one in if we had one. I'm not sure of this but think the attendant had a Red Cap bring the bag for us to the actual check-in.

There was also a previous mention about leaving the lounge after checking in. There was one young couple that placed their bags in the back near the bar and a number of time went wandering off leaving their bags unattended. No one payed any mind or bothered the bags while they were gone.

Also, I didn't really see anything of interest as far as any free food or drinks, or at least nothing of interest to me. Adjacent to the lounge there was a nice bagel shop that had scones and various pastries, other things? in addition to bagels. So my wife walked over and picked up bagels & cream cheese for us and we had coffee from the Traxx.

When boarding time was announced roughly 20 before departure, we became the dead last couple needing a Red Cap to be picked up and brought out, and that didn't happen until just 5 minutes before departure time. I was becoming a little concerned that we were forgotten and would be left behind, but the R/C hurriedly returned to get us out to the train.

While waiting after others had already left, I got a better picture (mental) of just what happens that makes the Traxx for "the CS only." The Traxx lounge is not actually where all the chairs and small lounge tables are while the waiting takes place. They are in a usually open to the public area just outside the lounge. Some time before it is officially open they move all the chairs and tables out of the actual lounge into the open area and rope it off in part. As soon as boarding passengers have vacated the chairs, the Traxx attendant/bartender brings all the chairs and tables back into the actual lounge and sets them up for the day.

Anyway, as you can probably tell by now, we weren't left behind and were brought out and greeted {NOT} by our highly efficient, {NOT} friendly {NOT} attendant and we were on our way! :cool:

Hi All,I have never posted on this site but have been reading for a few weeks in preparation for an upcoming trip. I have ridden Amtrak in the past but just from Los Angeles to San Diego or Santa Barbara (and those trips were over 12 years ago). This upcoming trip will be my first longer trip. We will be going from Los Angeles to San Jose on the Coast Starlight. My 6-year old son loves trains and since this is his first trip on Amtrak, we decided to go all out and booked the Family Bedroom so that we can enjoy the Sleeper Car experience and hopefully get to enjoy the Pacific Parlor car as well. There will be 4 of us total (my Mom and my daughter are also going with us). If this experience goes well, we hope to book the full round trip to Seattle next year.

I have been reading a lot of back posts for information but there were still a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

1) What time do they usually board the train in Los Angeles (departure time is 10:15)?

2) Prior to boarding, will we be able to walk to the tracks to see other trains? My son has dreams of standing on a platform watching a train arrive. Even if it is not ours, I would like for him to get to see other trains coming and going, if possible. But I worry about being too far away from our luggage (and my Mom who will be watching it) at boarding time if I take him and my daughter to the platform. Is there any other viewing area at Union Station?

3) Will we be able to go straight to the Pacific Parlor car, or other areas, to explore after putting our stuff in our room or will we have to wait until the train departs?

4) Is there any place in Union Station or onboard to purchase Coast Starlight (or even just Amtrak) souvenirs?

5) At what stops between Los Angeles and San Jose are we allowed to get off the train (even if just for a minute…again so my son can see the whole train from outside)?

Thank you so much in advance. Any other tips or hints for getting the most out of our Coast Starlight daytrip would be appreciated.

With all of the long distance trains originating out of Los Angeles Union Station, why doesn't it have a traditional Metropolitan Lounge? Portland only has the EB and CS, and a much smaller station, and it has a Metropolitan Lounge.

The last time we did the CS, if the train is at all late getting going you may actually find yourself waiting on the platform as the train backs into the station. Had a real friendly conductor/yard attendant on the last car that was waving to everyone as it backed in, trying to big people up into smiling and waving back and he just wouldn't stand for anything less when he passed by us. Some people just love their job!

From what I've read and seen you've got a reasonably good chance of getting to see this and of course watching the other trains around the station as you're waiting to board.

With all of the long distance trains originating out of Los Angeles Union Station, why doesn't it have a traditional Metropolitan Lounge? Portland only has the EB and CS, and a much smaller station, and it has a Metropolitan Lounge.
I couldn't tell you why, but the Portland lounge in my opinion isn't a whole lot bigger that the Traxx, but I also think the comfort and atmosphere in the Portland room was a little nicer as well as being much much closer to the tracks. (Opinions may vary) ;)

I couldn't tell you why, but the Portland lounge in my opinion isn't a whole lot bigger that the Traxx, but I also think the comfort and atmosphere in the Portland room was a little nicer as well as being much much closer to the tracks. (Opinions may vary) ;)
Portland's Metropolitan Lounge was a (very) afterthought. It was never planned to have one, but one of the (I think) employees said something like "We have this extra unused space. And it's right next to the tracks. Maybe it could be used as a Lounge!"

I could be wrong, but that is why PDX has one, but SEA and LAX do not. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Also, I didn't really see anything of interest as far as any free food or drinks, or at least nothing of interest to me. Adjacent to the lounge there was a nice bagel shop that had scones and various pastries, other things? in addition to bagels. So my wife walked over and picked up bagels & cream cheese for us and we had coffee from the Traxx.
Thank god you didn't buy the coffee from the Bagel Shop. While I know good coffee and bad coffee, I'm usually pretty tolerant and will drink it no matter what. The cup of coffee that I brought from the Bagle Shop last October at the Gathering lasted for two sips, and went into the garbage. Just terrible.

While waiting after others had already left, I got a better picture (mental) of just what happens that makes the Traxx for "the CS only." The Traxx lounge is not actually where all the chairs and small lounge tables are while the waiting takes place. They are in a usually open to the public area just outside the lounge. Some time before it is officially open they move all the chairs and tables out of the actual lounge into the open area and rope it off in part. As soon as boarding passengers have vacated the chairs, the Traxx attendant/bartender brings all the chairs and tables back into the actual lounge and sets them up for the day.
I'm not sure just what you saw, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there were still tables outside the main bar area in a ropped off area well after the Coast Starlight left. I walked by that area at 2:00 PM today and they still had the tables outside.

Portland's Metropolitan Lounge was a (very) afterthought. It was never planned to have one, but one of the (I think) employees said something like "We have this extra unused space. And it's right next to the tracks. Maybe it could be used as a Lounge!"

I could be wrong, but that is why PDX has one, but SEA and LAX do not. I'm sure someone will correct me.
I've never heard that story about Portland, but hey anything is possible.

As for LA, Amtrak keeps talking about taking over a section near the Traxx Bar and converting that into a lounge. But so far nothing has been done and the area sits unused.

The Old Harvey House at LAX would make a far better lounge. Too bad it fetches way more money for private parties.

Why not the ticket lobby? There is plenty of room there for a good-sized lounge, and now it's just unused space.

Why not the ticket lobby? There is plenty of room there for a good-sized lounge, and now it's just unused space.
I wonder how much they're able to modify the building, given that it has National Historic Landmark status.

If they built an entirely interior structure, perhaps. Don't know how big and how private they'd be able to make it that way, though.

How about the unused wing to the left when you first enter the station through the front doors? Perhaps they could do something there.

Thank god you didn't buy the coffee from the Bagel Shop. While I know good coffee and bad coffee, I'm usually pretty tolerant and will drink it no matter what. The cup of coffee that I brought from the Bagle Shop last October at the Gathering lasted for two sips, and went into the garbage. Just terrible.

I'm not sure just what you saw, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there were still tables outside the main bar area in a ropped off area well after the Coast Starlight left. I walked by that area at 2:00 PM today and they still had the tables outside.
No you didn't misunderstand me. The day we were there the guy tending the bar room did take in all the chairs and tables and arranged them in four separate configurations fairly close to the bar. Perhaps it doesn't actually happen every day - depending on whatever!

And one more thing... I'll have to thank my wife and not God in this case for not getting the coffee! :p THANK YOU DEAR... (She responds>>>) Huh? (She's still half asleep in bed) :lol:

How about the unused wing to the left when you first enter the station through the front doors? Perhaps they could do something there.
That's the area that keeps getting talked about.
I think that area would be great! But I think part of the reason it won't be use is that film crews use that for filming an old train station. That used to be the ticketing area. (Remember - it is near Hollywood after all! :rolleyes: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back