Day trip to Sacramento on the Capitol Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
So I had a really lousy doctor's appointment and the only sure way to return my smile is .... a train trip! We were debating between the Coast Starlight to SLO and return or the Capitol Corridor. Since we knew the Coast Starlight trip would be really tight if everything went perfect, we settled on a trip up to Old Town Sacramento.

The only other time we had done this route was on the Coast Starlight when it was dark so we were pretty excited to see some new sights. We got up early and headed out to San Jose to catch the 7:50 Capitol Corridor train up to Sacramento. Found parking easily enough and bought our tickets in the station. It also gave me some time to ask questions about our scheduled upcoming trip. For me, knowing all the details in advance helps eliminate any bad surprises and prepare for other options... just in case.

Train left on time and looked like it was a pretty popular time... by the time we made it to Sacramento, it was a nicely filled train. One of our first surprises was that the train goes right past the new 49ers stadium. I'm hoping they are not done with it since, at least from our view, was not very nice looking - but you decide since I'll be posting a link to all pictures for this trip with all my other trips on flickr. Since I was hungry, I went to the Cafe car for a bagel and I noticed some toy mentioned. One look and I knew it was mine... especially since it made me giggle.

Since it was dark when we were on the Starlight, we did not actually realize that the train tracks go right through downtown Oakland. Really surprising and really neat.... love trains that way.

Also, since we were early enough, when we reached Emeryville, we were able to see the Zephyr loading up. We made it to Sacramento on time and detrained. This was our first time getting off at Sacramento and let me tell you, it's a hike to the station. The redcaps were all getting the passengers ready for the Zephyr, which was running behind us and I had to walk. The nice part is that you can walk easily enough to Old Town... the tough part is that it is not really intuitive... There is signage but walking through a parking lot, I was getting confused. Since I have mobility issues, I can't just wander nilly willy but luckily some people were passing and let us know we were right on track. Finally came to a nice painted archway and we were there! We had booked a 12:00 river cruise but I knew the Zephyr was right behind us so we went to the river front and hurrah! I was able to catch the Zephyr crossing the river!

We took the hour river cruise on the Hornblower and since it was warm, I was really happy that we did. A nice breeze kept it comfortable. Nice sights and really interesting information. Loved going under the bridges and seeing the mechanisms to rotate the bridges. We went to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch... it took too long but was really yummy and we had a great table at the window.

A very quick dash back to the station to catch our 3:35 train home allowed us to catch the Zephyr departing Sacramento on it's way to Emeryville! We even caught it when it was home getting ready for the next trip! A great trip and yes, I was able to find my smile. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/sets/72157645134280046/

Last edited by a moderator:
For: bobnjulie - Wow! Really enjoyed your foto spread, especially those in Sacramento (home of the California State RR Museum).

Makes me want to get a move on for another trip west and a full day at the CSRM! Most years I do that twice - this year has been rather "off" thus far.

While I have never been to the Oakland area by train in "this life" - I did so way back in 1953 on a trip northward from SoCal aboard a Boy Scout special taking us back to the east coast - the long way!

Thanx for your efforts!

Glad to oblige! It was really a great day... just boardering on hot... mostly overcast with a bit of a breeze. Loved catching the California Zephyr in all its aspects.... from boarding to home again...

Since this was the first time for us through Oakland in the daytime, really, REALLY surprised at coming through the middle of town! Looked like it would be a really nice place to visit... which I would never have thought of.

Old Town Sacramento is really a must for train lovers... I don't really know what I am looking at but can still oh and ah over all the rolling stock... and we didn't even have time to hit the museum this time.

For: bobnjulie - What you enjoyed in Old Sacramento is what so many CSRM members and visitors revel in before entering the museum complex.

The outdoor displays are terrific as you have shown and even the short excursion ride is worth it, especially for the younguns and the young at heart! One thing I have always enjoyed is the changing of equipment from time to time - I suppose I have seen their collection a few times, but never tire of it.

Then as your fotos depict, the Sacramento River has all kinds of views to take in - you captured it on a good day.

One of these trips I am going to book my room at that river boat the Delta King - although I have been quite happy at the Vagabond Inn - just a stones throw from the museum.

I will have to dig into my archives to set off the spark to get me out there again!

Nice trip report and photos. Wife and I really like Sacramento. Took a tour of the Capitol Building and went over to the Sutter's Fort Historical Exhibits and always enjoy the RR Museum, eating at Joe's and Old Town. Brought back great memories.

Glad to bring back good memories! It always amazes me how much I love being on a train, even a very simple trip like we took. I am always forgetting things I want to do and a trip like this triggers those reminders! One of the nice things I noticed from the train - which I know I knew and keep forgetting - is the Niles Canyon train... they just finished Steam Week... sigh... The Capitol Corridor goes right past it. Also associated with the CSRM is Railtown outside of Jamestown. That would make a really nice day trip - but involves a car.....ah... so many trips to take and so little free time. Also plotting a skunk train trip... always dreaming. :) Good thing I hit Candy Heaven to give me some energy!

Back