Decent place to stay near Amtrak in Newport News, Va.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing terribly close of decent note...the station is in a sort of black hole. You've got a couple of rundown hotels on Jefferson Avenue, but nothing that's walkable.

You might consider going to Norfolk instead if it works with your schedule -- lots more options.

Like Nathanael said you may want to try Norfolk. The train station is on the edge of downtown and the cab fair to one of the downtown hotels would be fairly cheap. Off the top of my head I know that a Marriott, a Sheraton, and a Courtyard are all within a five minute cab ride of the station. I can vouch for the Marriott being nice (my command held our Christmas party there three straight years), and I suspect the other two are nice as well. I am not as familiar with Newport News but if you were to catch a cab to Mercury Blvd around the powerplant area you would be able to find some chain hotels there. The powerplant area is nice and safe but loud as it has a few bars and clubs around. As for cab fare it should be no more than thirty dollars which is what I once paid to go from the Newport News train station all the way to NOB on the southside.

Yeah...the Power Plant/Coliseum/Peninsula Town Center area is the nearest area with good hotels. It's a couple of miles away from the station...but that's the case with just about everything w.r.t. the station.

You might consider getting off at Williamsburg, VA. Its just 30 miles west of the Newport News Station. Lots of nice motels close by and a much nicer town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back