Delays out of Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
Sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago Union. Both the Zephyr and the Empire Builder have delayed their boarding - the EB for at least 45 minutes. No reason given. What would so delay a train leaving its origin?

Sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago Union. Both the Zephyr and the Empire Builder have delayed their boarding - the EB for at least 45 minutes. No reason given. What would so delay a train leaving its origin?
I've seen that in Chicago as well. Sometimes it's a matter of turning the equipment around-- or the equipment not being there yet. Weather probably could also play a role, I image especially there at CUS with plenty of Metra trains leaving. Not sure if it's a factor there today or not.

Anybody in that area got a scanner and can say?

I've seen that in Chicago as well. Sometimes it's a matter of turning the equipment around-- or the equipment not being there yet. Weather probably could also play a role, I image especially there at CUS with plenty of Metra trains leaving. Not sure if it's a factor there today or not.

Anybody in that area got a scanner and can say?
I tihnk there's a snowstorm southwest of here a hundred miles or so, but I was surprised how warm it was when I walked uo to the Chicago River a little while ago. Of course, when I say warm at this time of year, I mean about 40 degrees!

My train, the Southwest Chief, now has delayed boarding , but that's probably because they're just finishing boarding the CZ.

On Tue, November 30, 2010 the Empire Builder (#8) didn't get to CHI 'till 9:38 PM. :angry2: They obviously held the Lake Shore Limited (#48) until 9:59 PM so the passengers could connect. :D Chicago is the big hub for Amtrak, and I've seen them hold a train's departure for quite a spell so that the passengers can connect due to a late incoming train. Once saw the Zephyr (#5) held for a couple of hours 'cuz the Lake Shore Limited (#49) was late in arriving. :cool:

We were delayed boarding on the LSL this past Sunday, mechanical -- '480' cables had to be repaired -- then of course after that, they had to get the train ready, etc before boarding could begin. We were given small bottles of water and some snack packs (aka Amtrak emergency food per label on box)

Looks like weather in Chicago today was overcast with temperatures in the upper 20s, so it's unlikely that caused problems in the yards. However, perhaps weather elsewhere delayed trains arriving?

The Chicago Yards and engine House are undergoing a massive reconstruction program. Tracks are taken out of service for construction daily and the program changes daily based on the contractors need and not the needs of servicing the trains. Not only are the tracks being rebuilt but also the water, air and electrical servicing points.

It is possible that a train is placed on a track where the water, air and electrical power have to be brought over from another tracks service point. This requires extra hoses and electrical jumper cables be used and moved as they are needed to service the train. This construction also causes switch moves and engine placement to be changed sometimes on a daily basis.

It is a true SNAFU 24/7 for the mechanical and transportation departments, to add to the confusion there was a fire in the car shop offices.

help.gif
wacko.gif
help.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back