deluxe $$$$!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clearfork

AMTRAK.COM is showing a deluxe room on the CZ ; CHI to DEN, departing June 21, returning June 28 as being $710 each way! A standard is $310! Is this for real? Did AMTRAK add a swimming pool on the sleepers?

Like many of the airlines, Amtrak uses Yield management in setting its prices. You indicate a price for the top end of the spectrum, during the peak travel period of the year, on a train which is known for being heavily patronized throughout the year. The price for this first class travel, during the time period indicated, don't surprise me at all. The closer each train gets to capacity, the higher the prices for the remaining accomodations become. I concede that they come across as high, though. That's one of the reasons that I would wait until ski season before using this train. You also fail to tindicate how long you're spending on this train. Are you riding from coast to coast, or just partway and then returning?

You also fail to tindicate how long you're spending on this train. Are you riding from coast to coast, or just partway and then returning?

Just part-way; Chicago to Denver, about 18 hours.

I'm guessing Amtrak prices the Deluxe Rooms more so that they can fill each room with more passengers. Amtrak will make more revenue if they can fill a Deluxe Room with a party of two or three, rather than just one person. Thus the high price will make the single occupant go for the Standard Room.

Amfleet said:
I'm guessing Amtrak prices the Deluxe Rooms more so that they can fill each room with more passengers. Amtrak will make more revenue if they can fill a Deluxe Room with a party of two or three, rather than just one person. Thus the high price will make the single occupant go for the Standard Room.
No, the price doesn't change regardless of how many people you put into the room. The only change is that each passenger must pay the railfare.

Thank you for your replies.

Last year I booked travel on the CZ on similar dates, but the cost of the sleepers was approximately half of the cost showing today. And, I booked about 6 months early as I am attempting to do today.

So, I reiterate my original issue. Eighteen hours, between Chicago and Denver: more than $700 (one way) for the deluxe; more than $300 (one way) for the standard. This seems excessively high and will certainly cause me to make that journey with my family by an alternate mode this year.

I reiterate my previous statement as well. While the price you indicate seems plenty high, you also have to factor in that this train is vry busy throughout the year, and that you're travelling during the peak season, and that these are first-class accomodations, and that the closer a train gets to its capacity on the dates mentioned, the higher the prices will be for the remaining spaces.. Amtrak uses Yield Management, just like the airlines. The greater the demand, the higher the prices become..

I concede that I'm surprised at the price considering that it is 6 months in advance. I don't know why the price is as high as you say it is this far in advance.

Okay, so it's during peak season and the closer the train gets to capacity the more expensive the sleepers. But, it is six months before travel and it appears from what little info can be taken from the website, that there are plenty of sleepers available. And, the sleepers are twice the price of last year, same travel time, same booking date. So rather than issues, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone else think this is excessive?

2. Why double the price of last year?

Do I think it is excessive? In my opinion, positively yes. For $710 each way plus rail fare (actually, the web site shows $715) you could fly to Denver, stay in one pretty classy hotel room for the night, and have plenty of change left over for a great dinner and breakfast. For $715 per night on Amtrak, I would hope for great accommodations, impeccable service, and memorable food. Odds are you would be 0 for 3 on the California Zephyr. Not that it’s a bad train, but it is not a $715 per night train by any measure.

But is $715 actually excessive? Maybe not if there are people out there willing to pay the charge. If Amtrak can sell those rooms for $715, then more power to them. That does not mean you or I have to be the ones to pay the tab.

Why twice last year’s price. I guess because they think they can get it. Bookings may be strong enough to warrant the pricing. It will be interesting to see what happens between now and June 21. It is always possible that, if rooms are not selling, the price may come down. If the prices do not come down and on June 21 there are still deluxe rooms left unsold, then Amtrak’s pricing was bad. If the rooms sell out at $715, then maybe they should have charged $900.

With some random shots on the reservation system, the $715 charge appears to be in May, June and July. On April 30, the Deluxe BR from CHI to DEN will run you $361. The very next day, May 1, that same room is $715. Want to delay your trip until October? That $715 room would then be $238. Date flexibility might get you a better price. But, if you are tied to June 21, you could take a chance and wait to see of the price comes down or book the room and nurse your financial wounds. Or book Frontier Airlines, a room at the Hyatt Regency, and dinner at the finest restaurant in town.

Maybe in similar fashion to the airlines while the dates may be the same the days of the week may be different thus higher prices for a day with higher demand i.e, Friday/Sunday over a Monday/Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back