Desert Wind

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would LOVE to see them do a combined Pioneer/Desert Wind...
SEA --> PDX --> SLC --> Vegas --> LAX

MAYBE, have a thru coach and sleeper to Denver or beyond...

More of a "comma" route :)
Actually, this could be a good route. I would like ot see this train extended to Vancouver, BC, and San Diego CA.

I wonder if we could get a movement going to lobby the different politicians to get this going?

roland
A "Desert Pioneer" would also be over the 750 mile limit :)

But back to the question at hand. The Pioneer train split from the CZ in Denver, and came up onto the Union Pacific at Cheyenne. Actually, didn't go to Cheyenne, it stopped at a shed - later a wide spot where the shed used to stand - at Borie, where the Denver line hooked onto the UP mainline. UP built a metal building with restrooms to avoid a backup move into Cheyenne when the CZ used to go through Wyoming. By the time the Pioneer came along, UP had torn down the relatively new "station" so all that was left was a concrete pad and the former parking area. Passengers gathered at the UP station downtown and took a bus out to the train.
After Cheyenne, the train continued across Wyoming and into Ogden UT. Here, a bus connected down to Salt Lake, where your sister and husband would have connected with the Desert Wind.
That was the last incarnation of the Pioneer. The first incarnation of the Pioneer under Amtrak was a Coach only train from Salt Lake City to Seattle via Ogden, Portland OR. Then it got a Sleeper and a Coach transferred to it from the San Francisco Zephyr at Ogden. The original Desert Wind was a Ogden LAX train via Salt lake City, Las Vegas. It then got a few cars transferred to it from the San Francisco Zephyr at Ogden.

Everything got re-oriented when the San Francisco Zephyr, which ran through Wyoming was discontinued and was replced by California Zephyr which ran through Colorado. The car shuffling moved from Ogden to Salt Lake City, and both the Pioneer and the Desert Wind oroginated a SLC picking up through cars from Chicago off of the California Zephyr. It was nuatural then to give the entire service from Chicago to LAX and Chicago to SEA via SLC the monikers Desert Wind and Pioneer respectively. At this time there was no service through Wyoming. Then a few years later the split of the Pioneer from the CZ was moved to DEN restoring service through Wyoming by having the Pioneer run through Wyoming. This was the last incarnation of the Pioneer that you mention above.

But back to the question at hand. The Pioneer train split from the CZ in Denver, and came up onto the Union Pacific at Cheyenne. Actually, didn't go to Cheyenne, it stopped at a shed - later a wide spot where the shed used to stand - at Borie, where the Denver line hooked onto the UP mainline. UP built a metal building with restrooms to avoid a backup move into Cheyenne when the CZ used to go through Wyoming. By the time the Pioneer came along, UP had torn down the relatively new "station" so all that was left was a concrete pad and the former parking area. Passengers gathered at the UP station downtown and took a bus out to the train.
After Cheyenne, the train continued across Wyoming and into Ogden UT. Here, a bus connected down to Salt Lake, where your sister and husband would have connected with the Desert Wind.
That was the last incarnation of the Pioneer. The first incarnation of the Pioneer under Amtrak was a Coach only train from Salt Lake City to Seattle via Ogden, Portland OR. Then it got a Sleeper and a Coach transferred to it from the San Francisco Zephyr at Ogden. The original Desert Wind was a Ogden LAX train via Salt lake City, Las Vegas. It then got a few cars transferred to it from the San Francisco Zephyr at Ogden.

Everything got re-oriented when the San Francisco Zephyr, which ran through Wyoming was discontinued and was replced by California Zephyr which ran through Colorado. The car shuffling moved from Ogden to Salt Lake City, and both the Pioneer and the Desert Wind oroginated a SLC picking up through cars from Chicago off of the California Zephyr. It was nuatural then to give the entire service from Chicago to LAX and Chicago to SEA via SLC the monikers Desert Wind and Pioneer respectively. At this time there was no service through Wyoming. Then a few years later the split of the Pioneer from the CZ was moved to DEN restoring service through Wyoming by having the Pioneer run through Wyoming. This was the last incarnation of the Pioneer that you mention above.

Then what are the odds of Amtrak bringing back a route to vegas? With more people riding the train, and the airlines quality going downhill so fast, it seems to me like it would be a good idea.

Then what are the odds of Amtrak bringing back a route to vegas? With more people riding the train, and the airlines quality going downhill so fast, it seems to me like it would be a good idea.
Brian Rosenwald of Amtrak talked about it at the NARP meeting in Washingtoin DC. So the odds of a restored Desert Wind in some form, at least minimally as a Coach/Cafe train are probably better than that of the SL East getting restored :)

Rough schedule

7 am SLC (MT) 10:17 pm

7:33 am Milford UT 9:44 pm

9:02 am Delta UT 8:15 pm

10:05 am Milford UT (MT) 7:12 pm

11:00 am Caliente NV (PT) 4:12 pm

ar 1:50 pm L.V. dep 1:52 pm

dep 2:05 pm ar 1:37 pm

5:30 pm Barstow CA 10:17 am

6:05 pm Victorville ca 9:37 am

7:10 pm San Bernadino 8:25 am

7:41 pm Ontario ca 7:54 am

7:51 pm Pomona ca 7:41 am

9:06 pm L.A. (PT) 7 am

OK, where can I find out about the proposed new routes, for amtrak?
Go here and roll down to the PRIAA section. There are a few studies that were mandated by Congress for Amtrak to do regarding possible restoration of old routes. Note: These are just studies and far from done deals. And short of either funding being provided, or a direct order from Congress to restore a route, don't expect to see any of these trains running anytime soon.
Unfortunately, the Desert Wind wasn't one of the routes mandated to be studied by PRIIA. The Pioneer was, though.

LAX already has two LD trains to and from CHI. If we are dreaming I want a train NYP-WAS-Roanoke, VA-Nashville, TN- Little Rock, AR, Oklahoma City, OK-Amarillo, TX-Flagstaff, AZ-LAX. Probably would require brand new track. This would be a great connection between NYP/WAS and LAX

oops--They could just put the LV train station where the greyhound is now

My schedule:

Southbound:

Dep SLC 7 am (MT)

Tooele ut 7:40 am

delta ut 9:42 am

milford ut 11:06 am (MT)

caliente nv 12:01 pm (PT)

arr LV 1:55 pm

dep LV 2:10 pm

barstow ca 5:30 pm

victorville ca 6:05 pm

san bernardino ca 7:20 pm

riverside ca 7:41 pm

fullerton ca 8:22 pm

arr LA 9:06 pm

My schedule:

Southbound:

Dep SLC 7 am (MT)

Tooele ut 7:40 am

delta ut 9:42 am

milford ut 11:06 am (MT)

caliente nv 12:01 pm (PT)

barstow ca 5:30 pm

victorville ca 6:05 pm

san bernardino ca 7:20 pm

riverside ca 7:41 pm

fullerton ca 8:22 pm

arr LA 9:06 pm
Oops--I forgot to say the Northbound:

Dep LA 7 am

Fullerton ca 7:35 am

riverside ca 8:17 am

san bernardino ca 8:43 am

victorville ca 9:55 am

barstow ca 10:35 am

Arr LV 1:55 pm

Dep LV 2:10 pm

Caliente nv 4:30 pm (PT)

milford ut 7:30 pm (MT)

delta ut 8:54 pm

tooele ut 10:53 pm

arr SLC 11:37 pm

Arr LV 1:55 pm

Dep LV 2:10 pm
Aloha

Interesting that you have both directions in Vegas at the same time. I suspect that the station and track that is currently there can not support 2 at once. Secondly I think the Vegas arrivals don't fit the times most people would like to be here. Also the time at LA do not match what I believe most LA residents need or want. I have no idea on the northern impact.

Aloha

Earlier today I went looking for the Vegas Amtrak Station. The Platform is still there. A very long one stretching from the Main Street Hotel Past the Plaza hotel to almost to Bonanza. Thanks to a rail friendly Security Guard, he allowed me to the back parking area to see the outside of the station building. the LV sign is still there, the Amtrak Sign is gone but you can read the Amtrak name by the holes and fading on the wall. Someone else here is correct that it is now a break area for the Plaza employees. The Station building is fenced off from the platform and tracks. There were a lot of freight cars sitting on the track by the platform.

I will post the pictures I took later.

Aloha

Earlier today I went looking for the Vegas Amtrak Station. The Platform is still there. A very long one stretching from the Main Street Hotel Past the Plaza hotel to almost to Bonanza. Thanks to a rail friendly Security Guard, he allowed me to the back parking area to see the outside of the station building. the LV sign is still there, the Amtrak Sign is gone but you can read the Amtrak name by the holes and fading on the wall. Someone else here is correct that it is now a break area for the Plaza employees. The Station building is fenced off from the platform and tracks. There were a lot of freight cars sitting on the track by the platform.

I will post the pictures I took later.
Aloha

As promised, a bit late, here are the pictures of the station I took.

1149249336_aKK2j-M-1.jpg

1149249624_LdrV4-M-1.jpg

1149250133_ZSECo-M-1.jpg

1149250077_6FVWq-M-1.jpg

While looking in the back area I wondered how long a train could use the station. It appeared that a 30 car passenger train would fit on the track.

Here's an aerial photo of the area -- rotate it to get a better view.
Aloha

That Satellite Picture is interesting. Any Idea of when made? What I observed on the ground was a little different, and some things in the picture could not be seen due to the freight cars on the track. What I could not see from where I was allowed to go was the Platform between tracks on the south end of the Plaza. nor did I see any light poles.

Where I was allowed was from the curved area behind the Plaza, the Station building is that low structure partially hidden behind the north building. I was allowed to go through the exhibitor/service parking almost to Bonneville Ave. The Picture shows that the "platform" extends along the east track until the west track siding ends and joins the middle track.

It appears that the infrastructure would permits passenger service to reasonably be restored.

When I last rode the DW to Vegas there was only the East track, the additional 2 were under construction. Also I don't remember that lit platform as that far from the station building

Mahalo alanh for the link.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to take the Desert Wind regularly from 1992 to 1997 when it was discontinued. In those years the DW & Pioneer were combined with the CZ in SLC and from there the combined train, retaining the CZ name, proceeded east to Denver & Chicago. Hope both trains (DW & Pioneer) are reinstated soon.

Seems extremely unlikely that we'll ever see the Desert Wind or Pioneer return again. I have mixed feelings about it myself. Yes, it would be nice to have an Amtrak train to Las Vegas but for folks living in Texas (where Vegas typically supplants Orlando among the empty nest crowd) this train would require a very roundabout routing that would be unlikely to compete well with dozens of direct flights each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back