Detour 12/3 CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSpike

Lead Service Attendant
The Amtrak passenger train will detour through central Iowa tomorrow on Union Pacific Railroad tracks across Iowa because of repairs on the BNSF Railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

The detour will be a one-day affair.....

Rest of article here:

Des Moines Register.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amtrak passenger train will detour through central Iowa tomorrow on Union Pacific Railroad tracks across Iowa because of repairs on the BNSF Railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Rest of article here:

Des Moines Register.com
Ha, I love how the reporter starts the story with "The Amtrak passenger train."

Do you think he's describing the national LD Amtrak system in about 15 years?

Seriously, it's amazing that a one-day detour merits an article in the state's biggest paper.

Rest of article here:

Des Moines Register.com

Seriously, it's amazing that a one-day detour merits an article in the state's biggest paper.

Well, this IS Iowa we're talking about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rest of article here:

Des Moines Register.com

Odd, I don't remember any articles when this same detour was done for multiple days in October.

Also, as Trogdor confirmed yesterday, there will be two anniversary units on this train; Amtrak 66 in Phase II paint and Amtrak 184 in Phase IV.

The Amtrak Status Map now shows this train is in a service disruption after Holdrege, Nebraska. I expected this to happen after Omaha, not Holdrege. Does anyone know if and when #6 made it to Omaha?

Wow. the line has a top speed of 50 mph in most places, that train isn't even close to highest speed allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. the line has a top speed of 50 mph in most places, that train isn't even close to highest speed allowed.

I've been told that the speed limit at this spot is 70 mph, but drops to 40 mph at some point in town for eastbounders like this one. It's odd that in the hour before this train I saw five trains, including three other eastbounders, and all were going fast. About an hour and a half earlier I heard over my scanner what sounded like a train coming off the Jewel Sub in Ames. Not long before Amtrak arrived, I heard a train was crossing over to another main east of Ames. I suppose those could be a couple reasons it was slow.

The UP locomotive leading is used to handle the ATC cab signals on the former Chicago & Northwestern. During the floods of 1993 former CNW E8 units owned by Chicago Metro lead during detours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back