Difference between "Reserved Coach Seats" & "Lower Lev

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant find the difference between the reserved coach seats and the lower level coach seats...just wondering what the difference is...never been on a train before.

I cant find the difference between the reserved coach seats and the lower level coach seats...just wondering what the difference is...never been on a train before.
Superliners are two story trains. The restrooms, a luggage rack and a relative small seating area are downstairs. The main seating area is upstairs. The only way to go from car to car is on the upper level. Lower level coach seats are downstairs.

Superliners are two story trains. The restrooms, a luggage rack and a relative small seating area are downstairs. The main seating area is upstairs. The only way to go from car to car is on the upper level. Lower level coach seats are downstairs.

So you are saying there are only luggage racks above the seats on the downstairs and the upstairs are just seats?

So you are saying there are only luggage racks above the seats on the downstairs and the upstairs are just seats?
The luggage racks he speaks of is a large community rack anyone up or down can use, not the small individual ones above the seats that all seats have. The large on is next to the door and is about 5 feet long with large shelves from floor to ceiling.

I think you're supposed to leave the lower level seats for folks who are disabled.

Have you joined Amtrak Guest Rewards? I can give you a referral that will earn you extra points! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can chose "lower level seating" if you want. Normally, they are set aside for passengers who are unable to climb the stairs to the upper level. The seats are identical to those in the upper level. And the only way to go from car to car (such as to the Dining Car or the Sightseer) is via the upper level. Personally, I find the viewing to be better on the upper level!

Have you joined Amtrak Guest Rewards? I can give you a referral that will earn you extra points! :lol:
You beat me to it!
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Personally, I find the viewing to be better on the upper level!
Agreed. For me the main difference is that you get a better view and (in the case of sleeper compartments) more privacy up top. However, on some tracks the lower level seems to experience substantially less swaying. I've heard the lower level can be noisier but on the trips I take I didn't seem to notice it. But then again I wasn't exactly listening for it either.

You beat me to it!
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif
I saw your name in the active readers list and I thought to myself "He's about to post about AGR!!!" so I figured I'd make a last second sneak attack. :ph34r: :p

thank you everyone. I was going to book the upper ones anyways because I think I would feel less claustrophobic up there lol, plus I think my 2 yr old son would like the views better...just was wondering the difference. thank you!

You should not feel claustrophobic on either level, but you are right about choosing the upper level if you want better views. Generally the only reason to choose lower level is if you have mobility issues or will potentially need quick access to the restroom. In, fact, if it becomes necessary, and sometimes if not, you will be asked to go to the upper level so as to provide space for the mobility impaired.

A couple of years ago, I flew to PDX and did a round trip of the Columbia River Gorge (#28-#27) In the middle of the night, while waiting in the Spokane Station, there were about 20 kids on some sort of trip, boarding my car back to Portland. When they called for boarding for the #27 , I got the conductor to give me a lower level coach seat. A Life ( at least Night) Saver!
laugh.gif
!!!! Very quiet & very few Pax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back