Diner-Lite on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure I want better service, but complaining won't bring it.
Complaining on *this list* won't bring better service, nor will complaining to friends, family, or the local newspaper (or even your congressman, unless your complaint is about the lack of available service due to lack of funding).

However, a detailed complaint to Amtrak customer service, with names, dates, car numbers, what happened, etc., will almost always result in a follow-up phone call. From there, they will try to identify what went wrong and work on fixing it. However, service won't improve if Amtrak never finds out what went wrong in the first place (complaining directly to the employee in question, once, in a polite manner, might get the situation fixed; if not, then make a note of that and bring it to the attention of Amtrak Customer Relations at the end of the trip).

Plus, as long as your complaint appears valid, and you don't come off as a chronic complainer with a chip on your shoulder, you could even get a certificate good towards future travel.

It's also important to tell Amtrak what went right, so they can continue to do what works.

From what I read there are no "chronic complainers' on here but there are some chronic critics that take it upon themselves to judge trips that they have no knowledge of. Let the people state the facts as they may be and perhaps we can make some headway into making a better Amtrak. Yes, we want trains but not cattle cars with little or no service. Face it; it is a fact that there are sullen Amtrak employees just as much as there are some unhappy employees at your corner grocery store. Just because they work on a train does not elevate them to an unimpeacable position.

Sure I want better service, but complaining won't bring it.
Wrong-o. It might not fix the service on the trip you're on, but complaining might well fix the next one.

I confess that I don't have quite the skill of one sergeant I served with -- who had the complaining skills needed to have a German government civil servant fired. (No small feat, this.) My point in replying here is that "squeeky wheels get the grease."

For those who are curious, I was able to snap some pictures of one of the new Diner-Lounges on the Cardinal today in DC. This particular car represented a mid-generation test model, whose design has since been tweaked slightly; another ADA-accessible table has been added to the dining room, more room has been added to the dining room (by relocating one of three trash receptacles and moving the wall back), etc. Aside from that, everything else is as we will see it on all future models.

Some background:

-All 25 Amfleet II cafe/lounge cars on the roster will be receiving this overhaul. So far, 8 are being used as test models. Amtrak's PR office is pushing the fact that this is a "test in progress" and that some things are bound to change (see above). While the Cardinal has the cars now, the PR folks made it clear that there's no guarantee that they'll stay there. They may decide to move them to another train in a few weeks to test other markets. That said, the response from the Cardinal test has been very good, and revenue has been "through the roof."

-Trains that are running high sleeper numbers will still have the diner, and the Diner/Lounge will be an alternative option and supplement; there are no plans to remove single level Diners from trains at this time. Trains with no/low sleeper numbers (possibly Cardinal, Palmetto, Vermonter, EAE, Carolinian, etc) will have just the Diner/Lounge.

-The Diner/Lounge attendants are being trained on how to use the steam table

-All cars are receiving the wood paneling motif with blue accents and enhanced lighting.

I've written a brief story on the topic, which may be of some interest: Click Here.

And, for those who like pictures, click here.

-Rafi

Very nice Rafi, thanks for the pics and the story. Those are the first pics I've seen of the remodeled car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the poster from the other board was right about many of the tables being centered on a bulkhead.
That's correct for this particular car; there is a "final" production model that is supposed to be ready very shortly. One modification is that they are adding an additional booth and are moving a wall back, so I'm not sure how (or if) that affects the current table placements). They made it clear that a conscious decision was made to put as many chairs next to windows as possible, however.

-Rafi

Just last month I took Amtrak's Cardinal and the food as well as the car are not that bad. It's not the Dining-car I'd love to see but, It's not a burger shack along the highway ether. The sit down food is over piced though. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back