Diner service questions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracksentinel

Train Attendant
My son and I will be riding the Capitol Limited west to Chicago out of Cleveland in a few weeks. I was wondering if breakfast is served in the dining car before the train reaches Chicago.

We will be riding the Lateshore Limited back home a few days later. I know that there is no dinner served because of the late (10PM) departure but was wondering if the Lounge car snack bar is open upon departure out of Chicago.

Here's a question that is sort-of off topic but I suspect that many here are familiar with the Chicago area.

Back in 1988 my wife and I honeymooned in Chicago via Amtrak. We stayed downtown in a hotel called the Allerton.

I see that The Allerton Hotel has undergone a major re-do but back in `88 it was a bit dumpy. Right around the corner from (or behind) the Allerton there was this pizza resturant. I remember the atmosphere was dark and there was writing all over the walls and ceiling of this place. It was the best pizza we have ever had. Is this place still there and if so what is it called?

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I will be riding the Capitol Limited west to Chicago out of Cleveland in a few weeks. I was wondering if breakfast is served in the dining car before the train reaches Chicago.We will be riding the Lateshore Limited back home a few days later. I know that there is no dinner served because of the late (10PM) departure but was wondering if the Lounge car snack bar is open upon departure out of Chicago.
Yes, breakfast will be served in teh dining car before arrival, but assuming that the train is on time, you must be up early to get it. If, and it is a big if, the train is on time, they'll stop serving breakfast at 7:30 AM. If the train is running late, like it has been lately, then breakfast hours would be extended later. The cafe car should remain open until a half an hour before arrival, but be warned that not all attendants follow the rules.

As for your return, if you are in a sleeper, then a snack is served in the dining car. If you are in coach, then yes, the cafe car will be open. IIRC it is supposed to remain open till midnight.

My son and I will be riding the Capitol Limited west to Chicago out of Cleveland in a few weeks. I was wondering if breakfast is served in the dining car before the train reaches Chicago.We will be riding the Lateshore Limited back home a few days later. I know that there is no dinner served because of the late (10PM) departure but was wondering if the Lounge car snack bar is open upon departure out of Chicago.

Here's a question that is sort-of off topic but I suspect that many here are familiar with the Chicago area.

Back in 1987 my wife and I honeymooned in Chicago via Amtrak. We stayed downtown in a hotel called the Allerton.

I see that The Allerton Hotel has undergone a major re-do but back in `87 it was a bit dumpy. Right around the corner from (or behind) the Allerton there was this pizza resturant. I remember the atmosphere was dark and there was writing all over the walls and ceiling of this place. It was the best pizza we have ever had. Is this place still there and if so what is it called?
The pizza place you describe sounds like Gino's East to me.

Yeah..thats Gino's East in CHI. If you don't hit there, I just got back from CHI at 12:30 am last night on the CZ. I ate at Giordano's on Jackson St about 3 blocks from CUS. It was awesome!!!! Just like Gino's but maybe a tad better. To me, there both pretty close to the same.

Al

Yes, that's it! I thought Gino's had just the one location but I found the one behind the Allerton by looking up Gino's site. Thanks!

I just hafta hit that place again!

I already have it all mapped out from the CTA site.

We stayed at the Allerton a few weeks ago. Oddly enough Amtrak paid for it when we missed our connection on the Texas Eagle because our train from Toledo arrived 6 hours late. It was totally restored in 2001 and a very nice hotel. We enjoyed staying there, I am sure you will enjoy it.

My best man in our wedding made the reservations at the Allerton back in 1988 when my wife and I got married. He assured us that his mother stayed there regularly (she did radio shows as a psychic).

Were we ever shocked when we checked in and saw what a dump it really was. 88 degrees and no A/C. Elevators that either did not work or were painfully slow. Run down rooms. Later learned his mother always stayed in the VIP Suite.

It was an experience to say the least. The best memory of that honeymoon trip was when the Conductor of the LSL took a photo of us behind the last car with the "Just Married" sign propped up on the rear coupler. It was dark but the picture is priceless. That and that pizza...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back